Fit people who want to get their diet on track

Options
Do you have no problem committing to regular exercise, but have difficulty resisting temptation? Donuts, brownies, fries? How about midnight treats? Do you regularly stop logging at some point because you know your calories limit is through the roof?

I started exercising regularly nearly five years ago when I was tired of feeling the bulge from my first year in grad school. I lost the weight immediately from running and bikram. While I now keep up with regular exercise, I find myself eating far past my caloric budget. Once rationalizing the hunger due to exercise, I now feel I've lost a grip and need to regain it.

I'm looking to lose 30 lbs as a long term goal, and would like to find people who want to keep each other motivated and positive. Join me?

Replies

• lopezasusana
    lopezasusana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I feel you in many ways. I've been an active runner since high school and am still pretty active (i just started training for a marathon). but in the past month I gained 5 pounds. I re-tried weight watchers and it wasn't going anywhere. I started counting calories wednesday and weighed myself to see if I'd get encouraged but no luck. I'm so fustrated!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Bikram yoga!!! I wish there was a studio near me, but I just make due with finding one wherever I travel. I'm at my parents' for the next few weeks, and there's a studio not too far away. Hopefully, it will help me get out of this plateau...I've still got at least 10-15lbs to lose, 20 if we lived in a perfect world.

I feel your pain, though. I can exercise like a fiend. I'm pretty much a beast (lol), but I have a hard time controlling myself around food. Just on Saturday, I went to a friend's wedding...the dinner was TERRIBLE, but I ate the whole thing! I wasn't even that hungry! It was just THERE, and I was drinking, and...yeah. Awful. So there went a full week of hard work and exercise in one terrible meal's worth of bad decisions.

I've really just started changing my mindset - I'm not exercising and eating right until I lose 10, 15, or 20lbs...I'm doing it for life so that I can be healthy and happy and strong. So at home, it's Greek yogurt, fruits and veg, whole grains, and veggie protein...that's it! No junk in the house, less booze in the house, but enjoy what I want when I go out (which will hopefully be less often when I start grad school in the fall!).
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Slow And Steady Is The Right Approach! Support And Motivation From Others IS Really Important So I Know If You Continue To Pursue Them You'll Increase Your Likeliness To Stay On Track As I Did From A Group Of People I Met Right Here On My Fitness Pal.. Let Me Know If You Have Any Questions, Ill Send You A Buddy Request As Well So i Can Show Some Support Along The Way! Good Luck!
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    exercising, getting your steps in is just half the battle, the temptation, over eating etc is the other half

you can still eat them, just eat them with moderation

before, I used to eat without a care in the world, not even looking at how many calories what the food I am eating have, with MFP and giving myself a daily calorie goal, I am slowly losing weight
  • jayele72
    jayele72 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For me the beginning of resisting food temptation is changing the way I view food. I try to no longer view food as entertainment. I try to look at food as fuel for my life. I realize that donuts are entertaining (to further complicate the issue the BEST donut place in Minneapolis is 2 blocks from my house), but I feel like crap after I eat one so they dont fuel my life very well. I'm trying to feel better so I eat donuts less. I've been "biohacking" lately and charting mood and stress vs calories, sugar, sleep, weather, etc and have found some real interesting insights which also help resist my personal temptations.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this problem as well. I am a runner, and although I've slowed down in my miles the last few years, I still run 3-4 times a week, and do some biking and walking. I usually have no problem getting in 14000 steps a day. I do try to make lots of healthy choices - my family usually eats well balanced meals. My girls always take healthy lunches. But, I overeat on the sugary stuff! Ice cream, cake, chocolate, chips. I find it so hard to resist!