Activity Trackers

Options
I'm broke, so I'm deciding between a Fitbit Flex or a Misfit Shine. I'm not deeply invested in fitness, my main form of exercise is either walking/swimming. I'm looking for an activity tracker with fairly accurate tracking capabilities and a decent ideas of how many calories I've burned.

What would you suggest?

Replies

• worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has been working pretty well for me. The app lets you map you walk as well. The band will protect the fitbit from rain but I don't think your supposed to use them while actively swimming. I have no experience with the Misfit.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I recently read a national article saying fit it isn't accurate. I don't use one myself so I can't vouch for the story. Do your research b4 you buy!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're broke a tracker isn't necessary especially if you have a smart phone - there are apps for all sorts of activities :smile:

If you want to buy an actual tracker lookout for what's on offer - you can usually get the Jawbone Up for less that £50. Also Fitbit have a few older models that retail for around same price or maybe even less. The Fitbit Zip works great and would be in their budget range.
  • divinekittycat
    divinekittycat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've got a MisFit and (two) Fitbits - I started off with a MisFit Flash until it broke three times and they finally replaced it with a Shine- There's a version of the Shine for swimmers, actually, but I don't have that one (and I don't swim). I've also got a Fitbit Charge HR and a One. I started with the One (when I had to keep sending MisFits back to be replaced) and then when I had to have a foot surgery I got myself the Charge HR because I figured I'd be moving less but working harder when I did, so the heartrate would help (it did).

The MisFit Flash/Link (either of which can be gotten very cheap, actually- Flash is currently $30 and Link is $20) is also water-proof (as long as it doesn't break), and should be fine for swimming, while none of Fitbits can handle water at all.

As far as actual tracking, the thing I don't particularly like about the MisFit is the "points". They're somehow calculated on now just how many steps you take but the intensity of the activity. I don't know exactly how they do it, but the little flashy lights that tell you your progress really don't have any relation to how many steps you've actually taken. There is no step goal with this- it's a points goal.

I like both of my Fitbits much better - the One is actually the same price as the Flex, but has the ability to track flights of stairs which is why I initially chose it instead. I've found that both of my Fitbits more accurately track steps (I use the pedometer in my phone as well--I'm a nerd, I like data analysis) compared to the MisFit. I also like having the heartrate sensor on the Charge HR. .

An upside to the MisFit also is battery life- you don't have to charge it. However, if you don't have extra batteries, it's a real pain when it does finally die, and I've found that cheap batteries don't last nearly as long as the ones they've sent me.

The Fitbit One usually lasts me nearly two weeks on a charge, while the Charge HR is usually a once a week thing.

If you're really broke, look into free apps; if you can spare $30, the MisFit Flash might be worth it, but honestly if I hadn't gotten the Shine for free, I'd never have bought it, and well, I had three Flashes before they sent me the Shine, so keep that in mind as far as durability is concerned.

It's all about what you want to track and what metrics you think are important and how much you want to spend.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm broke...

...What would you suggest?

Activity trackers are a nice-to-have, so personally I'd suggest not bothering, particularly as the only ones I'd recommend for swimming are very expensive.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    don't know how much you want to spend but here is one that will work for swimming

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TXHZIAI/ref=twister_B00TZJGAPG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I had a Misfit Flash and HATED it.... I went through three of them and actually just sent the last one back to Misfit and told them to keep it. I replaced it with a Garmin and haven't looked back.

If you're wanting to stay on the cheaper side. Amazon and GroupOn sell factory reconditioned ones [Garmin/Fitbit] for really really cheap.

The other option you'd have would be the Moov Fitness Tracker.