Traveling to Brazil - Food Recommendations?

Options
Hi everyone! I will be leaving for Brazil soon and will be there for 2 weeks. While there, I do not plan on being as diligent regarding my calorie counting. I have had a lot of success recently since purchasing my food scale last month. However, there will be more eye-balling and calorie estimating for this trip. My goal is to keep logging but enjoy the cuisine. This is a work related trip and thus eating out will be the norm. My question is has anyone traveled to Brazil or South America? What are your food recommendations that you really enjoyed and suggest I try? I will always try something at least once! Thank you for your comments!

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Try to go with how full you feel. You say you have been doing well recently on you restriction so you probably have an idea of how much your system needs. If you end up leaving food on your plate put it down to a small appetite.

Most of all enjoy yourself. Over eating for over eating sake is not enjoyment, not in my book.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Try to go with how full you feel. You say you have been doing well recently on you restriction so you probably have an idea of how much your system needs. If you end up leaving food on your plate put it down to a small appetite.

Most of all enjoy yourself. Over eating for over eating sake is not enjoyment, not in my book.
    OP wants recommedations on food, not a lecture on intuitive eating.

Have fun in Brazil! No real recommendations as I've never been.

• Dogga03
    Dogga03 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know a bit about the Brazilian cuisine from my Jiu Jitsu coach and here are some of his recommendations; Farofa, (fried cassava flour with custom add ons) feijão Tropeiro, (pinto beans saultéed with eggs and bacon) Aćaí, (a superfood berry used to make fruit bowls and smoothies) have fun in Brazil!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have been at Brazil many times, on work related travel.
    They have very good beef. You can try the "churrasquerias", it is a lot of meat.
    They have excellent coffee.
    The fruits are too die for, fresh and excellent.
    As mentioned by @Dogg03, beans are part of the national culture. Feijoada is something you can try.
    If you go to the beach, I recommend trying their coconut water, they cut the top of the a green fresh coconut in front of you and give you the open fruit with a straw, so you drink the most natural coconut water ever.
    If you have space for dessert, I recommend "crema de papaya con cassis"
    Enjoy your trip
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Mosquito repellant!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    They have many dishes made out of cassava a starch.
  • TBaranski93
    TBaranski93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments! I'm looking forward to the experience!!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, then drink some water. A calorie-free meal.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I was an exchange student for a year in Brazil in the 80's. The food in Brazil varies by region - each region has different influences depending on the immigrants that were common in that area. In the northeast, where I lived, there are a lot of stew type things with seafood - moqueca. (moqueca de whatever's in it) I'm guessing you might find it in other areas nowadays. Delicious. You have to try feijoada, and you put the farofa on top of it. You can find feijoada throughout Brazil.

I'd try any fruit you come across. The ones you may have had (papaya, mango) are a zillion times more delicious. And there are ones that you probably won't have ever encountered. Most are delicious, a couple weird, but it's fun to try them.

Pao de queijo (cheese bread) is yummy though not healthy eating friendly. Same with acaraje. (Made with peeled beans formed into a ball & fried in palm oil. It's stuffed with various pastes, including shrimp). It's a northeastern thing, but maybe you can find it in other places.

Brazilian food is delicious. If you're open to new foods, it will be a lot of fun.