Surgery and Nutrition

Options
I am currently at a dilemma right now. I am having dental surgery today where as my wisdom teeth are being removed. I know that I won't be able to eat solid foods for a while, probably for about a week because of my recovery. I also won't be able to exercise either. I don't want to slide off my diet routine because of surgery and I can easily walk for an hour in order to keep up with exercise. But any general ideas about any healthy soft foods I can eat while I recover?

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    protein powder + almond milk + ice > blender

soft cooked eggs should be fine too.

And it may not be all that bad either. Had mine out...maybe 2 days that it really affected me.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Just think long term. If you take a few days to a week with recovering from this, will it derail your goals over the next 5 years? Not at all. Focus on healing up from your surgery, and then work back into your nutrition and exercise routines. You'll be just fine.

During the week though, get in some walking, or light cardio (according to your doctor's advice), and eat what you can.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ready made protein drinks. Not the ensure type.
    Ex: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Protein-Rich-Chocolate-Shakes-11-fl-oz-4-count/39224146
    Only the bigger stores sell these.
    The doctor should have given you a list of foods during your pre-visit.
    Call the office and ask to send them to you by email (they forgot).
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Protein+natural peanut butter + 3oz of non fat plain greek yogurt + fruit (go crazy here) into blender = bliss.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As people have said above. Find things that make up your normal macros that can be blended. Protein powder, egg whites, nut butters, oats, bananas, etc.
  • Sugar_Slayer
    Sugar_Slayer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You will probably be able to eat most things in a couple days. Steak may not be your friend for a week or so, but you should be able to eat almost anything. I would suggest staying away from things that are very chewy. And don't use a straw to drink with.