Calling All 5K Walkers and Runners!!!

Options

Replies

• justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I walk 5k before work daily. I e been doing this for a few months now. I find its a good way to get going for the day. Next weekend I'm doing a 5k run with my girlfriends son for a father's day event that his school is putting on.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A did a C25K style program last summer and ran my first 5K race after that. I'm doing it over again now (plus a bridge to 10K right after) to get used to running in the heat here. I actually don't care too much for running except on nature trails, but I liked the race I did. The crowd wasn't too bad and thinned out a lot after a few minutes into the run. The adrenaline was awesome. I want to get into more charity runs.
    RanaSimon wrote: »
    Very cool! It's nice you have your wife working with you. Finding someone to go with me for any kind of exercise is difficult, but I'm getting much better at self-motivation, which used to be a huge problem for me.

I'm with you there. I don't know anyone in real life who enjoys the kinds of active hobbies that I do.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Did anyone or does anyone have issues with tight calves? Regardless how much I stretch they are always tight and impact how far I can jog.

On a side note heading out in 15 min with the dog for a 4 mile hike (6k?).
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I get issues with my calves on occasion and the best answer for me has been to use a foam roller.
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Did anyone or does anyone have issues with tight calves? Regardless how much I stretch they are always tight and impact how far I can jog.

I have that exact problem on my calves and ankles. I've been told by a track coach that it's likely bad shoes that aren't supporting my feet properly. I think she's right in my case. I have high arches and my running shoes are far too flat inside to support them. I'm planning on going to an athletic shoe store in the coming days and get fitted for something more supportive.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I recently finished c25k and now I'm regularly going for 5k runs. I'm a little afraid to sign up for a race, mostly because a.) I hate crowds, b.) I can't get up early enough for a race, and c.) I'm too poor to be throwing money at races. But who knows... maybe someday. For now, I just enjoy running alone.

Your contributions on the forums here and your comments during your progression in c25k were a big motivator that kept me on the program and through to graduation. Seeing your name here, it occurred to me i'd never said that. Thank you!

I also run 5ks as mostly in private. I've got a handy course at and around a beautiful local park that is exactly 1.5mi, and when i run that twice and throw a few extra steps on the end, i can do my 5ks at my leisure. Such a great feeling, and still so novel to think of myself as someone who "runs for fun." Even if my running is still slow and steady!

I'm not big on crowds either, or getting up early. But i've been part of two 5k runs so far. Both were charity fund raisers, and both turned out to be a blast. To top it off, part of the proceeds went into shirts for the runners; so now i've got two t shirts that i'm really proud to wear! I'm not in a hurry to sign up for race #3, but i suspect i'll enjoy it whenever i do!

Happy running!
  • pdxhak
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    I get issues with my calves on occasion and the best answer for me has been to use a foam roller.

That is a great idea will try it out to see if it makes a difference. Thanks!
  • pdxhak
    Options
    RanaSimon wrote: »
    pdxhak wrote: »

I have that exact problem on my calves and ankles. I've been told by a track coach that it's likely bad shoes that aren't supporting my feet properly. I think she's right in my case. I have high arches and my running shoes are far too flat inside to support them. I'm planning on going to an athletic shoe store in the coming days and get fitted for something more supportive.

Thanks. Did not consider my shoes but that makes sense. To be a little more clear on my issue, my calves get really tight going up hill. Not so much an issue on a flat surface or going downhill.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    On the shoe point - they definitely do make a difference. Before I started C25K I went to a proper running store who videoed me running on their treadmill and used info from that to advise on shoes. Given how overweight I was (and still am) I'm sure having the correct shoes went a long way to limiting injuries - although I did have some initial issues with foot pain and shin splits when I first started.
  • RanaSimon
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    On the shoe point - they definitely do make a difference. Before I started C25K I went to a proper running store who videoed me running on their treadmill and used info from that to advise on shoes. Given how overweight I was (and still am) I'm sure having the correct shoes went a long way to limiting injuries - although I did have some initial issues with foot pain and shin splits when I first started.

That's quite a thorough running store! I just went to a store last night and got a new pair that will give me proper arch support. My arches are so high, she even suggested I use orthopedic inserts, too, but said it would be best that I try the shoes alone first and then work my way up.

I've been worried about splints, but I think it will be okay with the shoes addressed. Using the wrong shoes can definitely cause damage over time, so it's best to get your shoes figured out early.
  • chasgrey
    chasgrey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do a 5k everyday at lunch time. For me it's stress relief. It helps that I work out of the house so it gives me a little bit of flexibility. In 2014 I could run the entire distance in about 30 minutes. I quit for a while and I am starting to get back into it. Right now my time is right at about 40 minutes and I am doing a jog/walk program with the Personal Running Trainer program 8 weeks to 5k. I'm really pushing hard to get back to being able to run the entire 5k non-stop, but I'm still a ways away from that right now.

I'm not trying to break speed records, I'm just trying to earn some calories back to be able to enjoy more food. :)
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first 5K run in years this weekend - the Race for Life charity run for CRUK with my 13 yr-old daughter! I'm actually really looking forward to it! I've not done much running at all recently (suffered a lot in the past with foot and heel pain (Plantar Fasciitis) and shin splints when I last tried to run) but I went for a training run yesterday evening, felt far better than I thought I would and actually managed to run a total of 2.9miles in 30 minutes without stopping (almost a full 5km first time!). I was really impressed!

I've no idea what a reasonable 5km time is (any suggestions?) - but I'm thinking I could aim for under 35mins and work on improving from there. I'm definitely not going to stop now that I've re-started running.

I've found that good running shoes definitely make a huge difference - I took advice at the sports shop on the pair I'm wearing at the moment - and, happily, no sign of pain at all. I do think they'll need replacing regularly if I get into running a lot though - they may not look worn out, but I know that the support they afford will likely reduce over time.

I'd highly recommend stretching after any run (I'm not great at warming up - I just tend to take it easy for the first 10 mins or so) - but I'm a great believer in stretching helping to reduce aches and stiffness after exercise.

I find running on a full stomach really hard, so always eat afterwards :)

Happy running all!
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I started running this year and I do 5K runs now. :) I'll join!
  • RanaSimon
    Options
    chasgrey wrote: »
    I do a 5k everyday at lunch time. For me it's stress relief. It helps that I work out of the house so it gives me a little bit of flexibility. In 2014 I could run the entire distance in about 30 minutes. I quit for a while and I am starting to get back into it. Right now my time is right at about 40 minutes and I am doing a jog/walk program with the Personal Running Trainer program 8 weeks to 5k. I'm really pushing hard to get back to being able to run the entire 5k non-stop, but I'm still a ways away from that right now.

I'm not trying to break speed records, I'm just trying to earn some calories back to be able to enjoy more food. :)

Now that's my idea of motivation - exercise more, eat more good food! Haha! I've been hearing a lot about the C25K, but not the 8 weeks to 5K. I might have to ask my trainer about it.

I'm still at about 60 minutes for my 5Ks, but I'm getting better every time, at least it feels that way. It's becoming less difficult to breathe and keep my pace throughout, and I have new shoes that will hopefully help with my calves acting up.

Good luck on getting back to 30 minutes! Hope to hear about your progress in the future!
  • RanaSimon
    Options
    girlgroves wrote: »
    I'm doing my first 5K run in years this weekend - the Race for Life charity run for CRUK with my 13 yr-old daughter! I'm actually really looking forward to it! I've not done much running at all recently (suffered a lot in the past with foot and heel pain (Plantar Fasciitis) and shin splints when I last tried to run) but I went for a training run yesterday evening, felt far better than I thought I would and actually managed to run a total of 2.9miles in 30 minutes without stopping (almost a full 5km first time!). I was really impressed!

I've no idea what a reasonable 5km time is (any suggestions?) - but I'm thinking I could aim for under 35mins and work on improving from there. I'm definitely not going to stop now that I've re-started running.

I've found that good running shoes definitely make a huge difference - I took advice at the sports shop on the pair I'm wearing at the moment - and, happily, no sign of pain at all. I do think they'll need replacing regularly if I get into running a lot though - they may not look worn out, but I know that the support they afford will likely reduce over time.

I'd highly recommend stretching after any run (I'm not great at warming up - I just tend to take it easy for the first 10 mins or so) - but I'm a great believer in stretching helping to reduce aches and stiffness after exercise.

I find running on a full stomach really hard, so always eat afterwards :)

Happy running all!

Awesome time! Yeah, I just bought new shoes yesterday, and it's likely they'll need replacing every 6 months or so, but to me the lack of pain and injury is worth the price. Let us know how the Race for Life goes, okay? :)
  • pdxhak
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For shoes I wear Brooks and love them for walking around. However I am going to get fit soon to see if that helps with the calf pain. Also going to try to find a flat area to run this weekend. I live in a hilly area so not as easy as it sounds especially when I take my dog :)

Good luck to everyone with their competitive 5k runs!
  • chasgrey
    chasgrey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Now that's my idea of motivation - exercise more, eat more good food! Haha! I've been hearing a lot about the C25K, but not the 8 weeks to 5K. I might have to ask my trainer about it.

It's a training audio that I have for my phone. I actually bought 3 different ones about 5 years ago. The 4 weeks to 1 mile, the 8 weeks to 5k and the 8 weeks to 10k. Each week has 3 different running plans. I'm in week 4 of the 5k plan and each day starts with a 5 minute warm up walk, then day one, you run for 8 minutes, walk for 1 repeat 3 times, and then have one additional 2 minute run. Day 2, run for 9 minutes, walk for 1, repeat 3 times. Day 3 run for 10 minutes, walk for 1, repeat one time. At the end of each day, there is a 5 minute cool down period. At the end of the 8 weeks, the final run is a 30 minute run for 5k. It's nice in that it keeps my time at 40 minutes everyday which is a perfect workout.

Like I said, I'm at week 4. Week one starts with 5 minute warm up, 1 minute run, 2 minute walk, repeat 10 times and then 5 minute walk to cool down. It really has worked for me.

• sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'll join - I completed Week 2 Day 1 of C25K yesterday as I'm getting back into running.

I've used running in the past to get fitter and healthier for other challenges. I did the C25K to get me started and I went on to run a couple of 10 mile charity events (Great South Run in the UK) and a couple of half marathons. I haven't run properly for a couple of years though.

I'm not a natural runner - I find it uncomfortable and boring. My brain tries to talk me out of it for the first 15 minutes but if I can get past that then I find that I'm happy to plod along distracting myself with calculations - x mins to 3km, 2 miles, 4km etc.

My running at the moment is on the treadmill at work as I find it gives me better control during the c25k program, but as I'm out walking the dog in the morning I should really try to do it then.

Warming up: I tend to walk or job slowly for a few minutes first and then start running.
    Cooling down: I like to walk and then stretch - generally just thighs and hamstrings.
    Shoes: I have some minimal running shoes (nike free something) - not barefoot running, but not big padded soles - I find them fine.
    Splints: I find I only really get aches and pains if I try to go too fast or take too big a stride. I do around 170-180 strides per minute, but I'm slow so must take tiny strides.
  • HeidiThe9
    HeidiThe9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have my very first 5k coming up in August. I'm going on a Disney Cruise, and they do a fun run on their private island. I am a bit nervous about the heat.

So far I am struggling to complete week 4 of C25K, but I realized how bad my shoes are. Hopefully I can get fitted this weekend.

I walk 3 (very hilly) miles about 4-5 days a week on my lunch break, I think this will help me, but sometimes it just tires me out too much for a good run in the evening!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I've used Personal Running Trainer off my I Phone (4 weeks to a mile, to get started, and then 8 weeks to 5K). By using that app and hearing about C25K they seem similar. Personal Running Trainer got me restarted which is all that counts. I would think it is a viable alternative to C25K.