C25K Experiences (Past and Present)

Options
I started doing the program 5 weeks ago. I have NEVER been a runner or even a jogger; I've always been overweight and have never been particularly athletic. I started losing weight this past year when I switched off an antidepressant I was on and decided to add this program into my routine. I love that it does all the thinking for you (yeah I'm THAT lazy haha).

I'm really excited that I've been seeing progress and am starting to actually enjoy it! The first week I remember being really winded by the end of the 1 minute runs and I remember thinking "Oh god how am I going to do the 1.5 minute runs next week?!?". But here we are starting week 5 and I can now run for 5 minutes without stopping and not feeling like my lungs are bleeding haha.

Anyone else done this program? What was your experience like and what were the changes that you noticed?

Replies

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I completed c25k a month or so ago.

Before i started the program, i was trying to increase my distance myself by using light posts at a local park. At first, i'd run the length from one post to the next, and then gasp for air. gradually, i could run the distance between two posts! At that time, my idea of running was basically sprinting until i couldn't any more.

Along with c25k, i started reading up on running properly, including pacing and breathing, and came to understand the benefit of c25k's gradual increase, and rest days!, to let my legs and body get used to running.

Week 1, Day 1 was a challenge. The first few 60-second runs weren't bad, but by the end it was all i could do to wait for the beep to tell me to start walking.

I remember each day being a challenge, but Week 5 Day 3 was the big scare for me. Going to a 20-minute run with no walking break? Very intimidating stuff. I nearly decided to stick at Day 2 for awhile and build up to it, but i eventually decided it's better to try something challenging (but safely!) and fail, than to be afraid to step up to the challenge in the first place. And holy cow, i completed the 20 minute run! What a feeling of accomplishment!

I was able to complete the program, and can now go out and run a 5k at my leisure. I'm slow; i don't push myself for great speed. But i can run steady the whole way and feel fine afterward. Now i'm considering my next goals, which will include increasing my distance, as well as working in some shorter, faster runs.
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've done it and have been able to run a 5k. I felt so accomplished! It was tough but I repeated weeks when I needed to and pushed everytime. You can do it
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    SamKorosi wrote: »
    Anyone else done this program? What was your experience like and what were the changes that you noticed?

In September of 2014 I started using the C25K program to start training for the DAV5K [Disabled American Veterans] here in Cincinnati. I loathed running. HATED it prior to it. But I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. So I downloaded C25K and rocked it, and Rocked it HARD. Since then I've rocked SEVERAL 5Ks, One 10K then migrated over to McMillian Running and finished my First Half Marathon just over a month ago. And I'm running in a 14K, 10K still this year. It's a great program.

The only advice I can give you is don't let your endurance die down if you want to keep running. Try to get out a couple time a week to keep that endurance up.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I did it in 2014 and thought it worked very well - especially once I realised pace management is the key thing and to slow down the run sections. That way I was able to run 5K non-stop (although slowly!) several times during C25K (by extending some of the sessions) and even did a 10K non-stop run as my very first run after finished C25K.

I didn't find W5D3 as big a problem as some because I knew it was coming and did some practice to work out my pace beforehand!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I started C25K in 2011 after I turned 45 and realized I was way too sedentary. I wasn't more than 10 pounds overweight but I was certainly "out of shape". I've never liked running at all but my sister runs marathons, walking wasn't burning enough calories and there wasn't another sport I was interested in starting, so I gave it a try.

I had a lot of trouble at first. I ended up creating my own "Week 0" where I ran for 15 seconds and walked for 2 minutes. I got to around week 4 and was talking with my sister about it when I found out that she was actually an interval runner. She'd completed all of her marathon and shorter races running for 5 or 6 minutes and walking for one minute. Since we were going to be running races together I just continued doing the same. I ran my first half marathon at 2.5 minute run/1 minute walk intervals. I've run about 2 dozen half marathons and many more shorter races since then using that strategy.

I've upped the running intervals since then, of course, to the point where I'm running for one mile and walking for 1 minute during races and most of my training runs. That interval works very, very well for me. I also decided a few months ago that I was going to finally run 5K without stopping, just to do it. I actually ran for 4.5 miles without stopping before I decided it was time to take a walk break. So... if you think about it, it has taken me about 5 years to "complete" C25K. :lol:

I guess the point is, running isn't necessarily about being able to run 5K without stopping in under 30 minutes or 25 or 20. It's about getting out there and moving and constantly striving to improve. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. So if you struggle, don't get discouraged. Just slow down a little more and keep trying. Pace is usually the key.
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Week 2 Day 1 tonight. I'm pretty mad at myself because I have fun a handful of 5Ks due to using this app four years ago. Now I have to start all over again...but at least I'm doing it again?! Idk but I'm hopeful I can make it through the whole thing again.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I started c25k in June of last year. I had never been a runner before that and absolutely hated it. I loved how c25k was structured, though, and felt accomplished at the end of each workout which kept me coming back. Since then I've run a 5k, 12k, 3 half marathons and will be running my first full marathon this Saturday.

The benefits I've gotten from running are endless. I appreciate my body for what it can do rather than how it looks - I feel strong and capable. Not only that, it's mentally and emotionally rewarding - free therapy. All in all, I'm hooked and it all started with c25k! Congratulations on your progress this far!