Vitamin D supplement calories

Options
Hey guys! I've been counting calories for quite some time now and have lost about 53 lbs so far, and only have 8 lbs left to reach my goal weight.
so i found out a while back that I'm severely deficient in vitamin D and the doctor prescribed some capsules, which i didn't take cause i can't swallow pills... and then about two weeks ago i had another blood test, only to find out my vitamin D was even lower. Now this time the doctor gave me these liquid drops I'm supposed to drink a whole dropper of 5 days a week for 2 months.
I've only taken it once and gosh it's oily! Like, i mixed it in water but it wouldn't even mix, just formed an oily slick. I drank it with a glass of water anyway and even my lips felt oily after doing so! There is no calorie information available but here are the ingredients:
"Vitamin D3 (as chloecalciferol), MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides). MCT oil from coconut/palm kernel oil"
Losing these last few pounds is so hard and my logging needs to be stricter and more accurate than ever and it looks like my doctor just told me to drink a dropper full of oil every day :'(
Do you guys think the drops have as many calories as i think? Should i talk to my doctor about some other medication, or should i take it anyway? Please help idk what to do

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It might be the MCT oil that contains any calories. The 2000IU vitamin D capsule I take is labeled as 0 calories.

Can you measure how much one dropper is (1tsp? 1Tbsp? 0.5Tbsp? etc.) and log the associated volume of that dropper as coconut oil (for example, 1Tbsp coconut oil if the dropper measures out as 1Tbsp)?
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I take 15000 IU daily and its zero calories.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I suggest you ask your pharmacist. They should have access to this information.
    Personally I wouldn't bother, but then I have more weight to lose that you so I guess I have more wiggle room.
    Alternatively you could take it as directed and eat as planned for a month or so and see how your weight loss goes. It's hard to see that it would make such a big difference, but if it does you could adjust your cals accordingly.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    " BEST BET FOR YOUR MONEY: 60 mL (2 fl oz) bottle gives over 2,000 doses "

So 60 ml * 9 cals/ml = 540 cals / 2000 drops = 0.25 calories per drop.

I used to put it on my fried egg yolk or other fatty food, disappeared nicely.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Side note: Take it in the morning or lunch.
    I found that it was keeping me awake if I took it at night.
    I take vit D 400. Tiniest pill ever.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Vitamin-D3-Dietary-Supplement-Tablets-400-IU-200-count/10316146
  • mifii10
    mifii10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow thankyou so much for helping me out!
    i have decided to ask my doctor for some other medication.. i am NOT drinking oil everyday
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D should be taken with food, just fyi.