Overcoming Food Addiction

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    As a mostly recovered anorexic binge/purge I have to say this- for me IT WASN'T ABOUT THE FOOD. It was about masking emotional pain, depression, anxiety, insecurity, etc. When I binged I binged on everything. It didn't matter what it was. It wasn't about the food! Once I dealt with my pain I don't binge very often
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a licensed psychologist, what lemurcat12 said is absurd and clearly from someone who does not understand addiction.

I understand addiction. Care to identify what part of my post was "absurd"? From what you say here I can't tell that you even read it (and I wrote it some time ago now -- weird this thread got revived when OP doesn't seem to be around).
    There are diagnosable eating disorders ~ Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa and Binge Eating Disorder and a ton of variations that would be considered disordered eating (or possibly Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified).

Obviously, as I noted.

That doesn't mean that people with these disorders are "addicted" (although I personally think compulsive eating or BED could be considered a form of addiction, as I said).
    Put plainly, if food were not addicting, people wouldn't literally be dying from obesity.

Now this is absurd. That people gain weight and have trouble losing weight doesn't require addiction at all. It's easily explained by environment, evolution, and human difficulties with long term vs. short term incentives. According to the same "logic," one would have to conclude that choosing to watch TV instead of studying, for a less successful student, given the importance of school to long term success, means that one is addicted to TV. No, one is just making poor choices when it comes to trade offs given human tendency to favor short term incentives.

Rather than assuming addiction if one has some out of control or poor decision making about food (as seems to be the case for the majority of the population), it makes more sense to try to focus on the specifics. Obviously there are some people (we don't know enough about OP, despite the number of people who are jumping to conclusions) who will need therapy and may have more difficult issues like BED.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a licensed psychologist, what lemurcat12 said is absurd and clearly from someone who does not understand addiction. There are diagnosable eating disorders ~ Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa and Binge Eating Disorder and a ton of variations that would be considered disordered eating (or possibly Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified).

Put plainly, if food were not addicting, people wouldn't literally be dying from obesity. The addiction either to not eating/eating and purging/overeating, is very similar to alcohol and drugs as certain ingredients (like sugar - which is in EVERYTHING) impact neurotransmitters in the same way using crack does. Or they are reinforced by various consequences (positive and negative) like losing weight, releasing stress, decreasing anxiety, feeling in control, etc.

I would echo those above with getting a therapist if you starve yourself/purge/and or eat until stuffed frequently. If you can't afford formal treatment, and don't have an eating disorder which is different from disordered eating, try Googling Judith Beck. She has a series on self-help cognitive behavioral therapy books that help individuals better understand their relationship to food.

What do you feel was absurd about lemurcats post? ( Be specific so we can see what you are referring to)
    I read it several times and felt like it was on point. I did not disagree with anything she said
  • MzJones1920
    MzJones1920 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "I don't really believe in food addiction."

What I find absurd is the first sentence.

I am not on here to change minds or debate so I won't go into all the other lengthy posts that were sticking up for lemurcat12, I honestly didn't read them in their entirety because, see the first part of this sentence. I stated my opinion, if you disagree with me, I am totally fine with that.

Have a great day =)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I am not on here to change minds or debate so I won't go into all the other lengthy posts that were sticking up for lemurcat12, I honestly didn't read them in their entirety because, see the first part of this sentence. I stated my opinion, if you disagree with me, I am totally fine with that.

Have a great day =)

As a licensed psychologist, can you please explain the definition of food addiction and the clinical measures by which it is diagnosed? Please note, I am not referring to Anorexia, Bulimia, or Binge Eating Disorder. Strictly "food addiction".
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Have a great day =)

You clearly didn't read her explanation of that statement either.

So you're rendering your opinion on someone's post without even reading it and don't care to read responses to your claims, entirely dismissing any discussion on a matter to which you, as a psychologist should be able to add valuable input. K
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2016
    Options

Oh, so you took one sentence out of context. Great job! The rest of your post demonstrated that you managed to misinterpret mine as a result, as I certainly did not question eating disorders and even personally believe in the more controversial category of eating addiction. See, e.g., http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140 (eating addiction is more supported by the evidence and more reflective of what seems to sometimes occur than "food addiction").

If you choose to actually engage in a discussion, maybe you have something valuable to contribute. So far, you have not chosen to do that. (This is a silly thread to have it in, though, as it's a zombie.)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    while i wouldnt use the word addiction on the same level as say a heroin...i do think someone can have something close. If you ate 3 bags of doritos everyday for a year and then stopped? yea you would probably feel like *kitten* and have some kind of "withdrawl" but again nothing like an actual substance addiction. Food is comforting, certain food raises endorphins and it makes you happy. I remember in school reading about woman chosing chocolate over sex. To be honest we are all addicted to food because we need it lol. I personally dont think there is enough science on either end to dispute.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    If you ate 3 bags of doritos everyday for a year and then stopped? yea you would probably feel like *kitten* and have some kind of "withdrawl" but again nothing like an actual substance addiction.

Except that virtually every anecdotal report from those who have done this sort of thing seems to indicate the opposite.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have been here long enough to see this topic debated previously, and really, its a semantics issue. Some people get their knickers in a knot abut using the word addiction, as if it has special status and can only apply in certain situations where the parameters, signs and symptoms can be observed, documented and replicated. others use addiction to mean that they really really really love a food so much that it has a power over them that they are unable to control. Basically, its all just disordered eating - that is, eating is a behaviour that is out of control and which causes grief, embarrassment, anxiety, guilt, physical health problems - whatever. It is a fools argument to debate addiction or not. It is what it is on an individual basis and thats all that matters.
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The focus on "addiction" implies that there's some one size fits all solution or problem. That's why I said that there were many different types of issues that got referred to as addiction (IMO most of which are not, but that wasn't my point), and that it's important to focus on the specifics and identify when and why you are feeling out of control -- what's going on, what foods are involved, is there a context in which you are having issues (specific time or place or emotional factors), so on.

That's the most helpful thing to focus on, I think, not the term. (As shown by the attack on my post, it's those who want to insist upon the existence of "food addiction" who are creating an argument about that, as opposed to advice that might help the OP.)

Of course, the OP is gone, as the original post was from over a month ago, so I have to assume the only purpose for the "I am shocked, shocked I say!" post was to create drama/a debate about "food addiction." It certainly did not include helpful advice or engage with any specific posts, unlike posts like mine (that were supposedly so unsupportive, sigh).
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    MattMacedo wrote: »
    I am someone who suffers from food addiction. First step of the process is admitting the problem. I'm sure there are hundreds of people here on myfitnesspal who have overcome food addiction. I need as much help as I can get! Please inform me of what has helped you overcome this awful addiction.

Feel free to ask questions....

First, admit there was a problem. For three going on four years, I blamed externals, my drive, and my dreams for my actions. Ignoring people in my life hinting at me that I may have a problem, including family, close friends, and girlfriend. I lied to myself, rationalizing it with the mask of a cheat meal. As the punishment for binging increased so did the amount of times I binged. At first once a week, then every couple days, every other, until it consumed my thoughts. At times I would drive to Walmart just to eat it all before coming home. Chances are if you are reading this it is because you are looking for help. Good for you, you are lightyears ahead of where I was!

Second, I learned to love myself for me, as a matter of fact I am still learning how to do this. Today, the emulated physique is seen as happiness. It is published on social media, magazines, and posters as the symbol of happiness. I believed it, I chased it and chased it. I had it for some time and I was still just as miserable. How you look will not make you happy! Now don’t twist those words as an excuse to just let ourselves become overweight. Chances are you will break step 1 which is lying and rationalizing it. We have to learn to accept our imperfections. We all have them and everyone tries to hide them. Here are my flaws (some I can fix, others are what they are):
    Relationships: I am aweful. I wrecked a 15 year friendship with a highschool sweetheart, I was selfish and an *kitten*. I can also be abrasive and brutal with little to no compassion. However ever since I shared this personal story, I have gotten better. Although I am by no means finished working on this.
    Skin Damage: I never wore sunscreen as a kid. Now I have moles, freckles, and scars. Some I wish weren’t there. Some girls won’t talk to me because of them. I am not “sexy” enough. They aren’t “interested”.

Don’t let your imperfections stop you from loving yourself. You are the only you this world will ever see, embrace yourself. Perhaps the worst thing about this cycle was I hated myself, I hated my life, I did not want to look in the mirror, I thought I was a failure that I would never make it, I contemplated suicide. When I would binge, I would punish myself. Don’t do that we are human, life is meant to be enjoyed. Life is much too short to never treat yourself to what you love to eat whatever that maybe for you. Look yourself in the mirror directly into your eyes saying “I LOVE myself” at least 10 times a day, if not more. P.S. try not to smile when you say this (harder than you think).

Thirdly, there is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.”

Fourth, going along the lines of moderation. You can eat whatever you want just not all at once. I believe I heard Layne Norton say this, I believe this, like the 11th commandment, in fact it should be an amendment to the constitution. When I first began to escape cycle, I would eat one “treat” at every meal. Nothing crazy, but it will allow you still get your “fix” but you won’t binge on it. Any action in the right direction gave me more motivation and encouragement to keep improving. The small wins kept snowballing into large victories later that slammed the door on binging. Disclaimer, it is wiser to eat this food item from a plate not from the container. Don’t test your will to fight binging if you do not have too. As the old saying goes, “work smarter, not harder.”

Fifth, no more crazy spreadsheets and tracking of nutrients line item by line item like an accountant. I did not worry about counting calories and the works. I would instead eat (3) meals, breakfast, lunch and supper possibly a snack if I was hungry. I would eat slowly, and as I began to feel fuller I would stop eating. You may be like me and scared that you’ll get fat. Well what is our other choice? We can keep binge eating which is not working, because you wouldn’t be reading this. Or we can reach out and try something new. I need to be conscious of my eating, instead of speed eating (still struggle at times).

Sixth, 180, 190, 160, 225, 200…what number was it going to be today I thought I as I closed my eyes scared to look down at the scale after a night of binging (these were all weights I reached during this cycle). You do not need a scale to help you. It’s about small wins, small wins, they add up trust me; I have been there too. Most people overestimate the damage of a binge. You need to eat in excess of 3500 calories over your normal intake to gain a pound of fat. It is not as bad as we create in our minds. Additionally, when we stand on the scale after a binge our body is bloated, full of food, sodium, and other goodies. This only compounds the guilt feeling.

It is your lucky day! I said six, but here is a seventh tip. So, what about eating at restaurants and parties? Parties were my kryptonite, the amount of food that I saw and I thought I had to eat three people’s worth of everything. What helped me to win at parties was I made this a game in my head (who cares no one else knows..plus now you know I did it). I am very competitive; I hate losing even if it’s go fish with a girlfriend (I will be a terrible father I will never let my kids win). Since eating slower and not getting seconds was a struggle at first. The game I created was to be the last one done eating, and the last one to get seconds. This helped me in many ways, first to help me eat slower I talked with people, this helped to repair the relationships I had damaged in the past, plus I was not over eating (win/win). Which is why I was last to get seconds, so often I would eat so quick that my stomach didn’t even know it was fed until I was already 4-5 plates of heaping food deep.

Make that eight, workout for fun! For so long in this process I trained for results no I do not mean goals; I simply worked out to look good that’s it! It was the complete wrong direction, it made training no fun, I dreaded every gym session, and was having a miserable time. It doesn’t matter if you are into bodybuilding, figure, physique, cross fit, powerlifting, strongman, marathons, etc. just train for fun, train to get better and challenge yourself. For me this was powerlifting.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    If you ate 3 bags of doritos everyday for a year and then stopped? yea you would probably feel like *kitten* and have some kind of "withdrawl" but again nothing like an actual substance addiction.

Except that virtually every anecdotal report from those who have done this sort of thing seems to indicate the opposite.

well in school we did an experiment and I did in fact eat a donut every day for 6 months and then stopped.. I felt like *kitten*. I personally believed that to be mental. Addiction isn't a completely known subject without more discoveries to be made.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    MattMacedo wrote: »
    I am someone who suffers from food addiction. First step of the process is admitting the problem. I'm sure there are hundreds of people here on myfitnesspal who have overcome food addiction. I need as much help as I can get! Please inform me of what has helped you overcome this awful addiction.

Feel free to ask questions....

First, admit there was a problem. For three going on four years, I blamed externals, my drive, and my dreams for my actions. Ignoring people in my life hinting at me that I may have a problem, including family, close friends, and girlfriend. I lied to myself, rationalizing it with the mask of a cheat meal. As the punishment for binging increased so did the amount of times I binged. At first once a week, then every couple days, every other, until it consumed my thoughts. At times I would drive to Walmart just to eat it all before coming home. Chances are if you are reading this it is because you are looking for help. Good for you, you are lightyears ahead of where I was!

Second, I learned to love myself for me, as a matter of fact I am still learning how to do this. Today, the emulated physique is seen as happiness. It is published on social media, magazines, and posters as the symbol of happiness. I believed it, I chased it and chased it. I had it for some time and I was still just as miserable. How you look will not make you happy! Now don’t twist those words as an excuse to just let ourselves become overweight. Chances are you will break step 1 which is lying and rationalizing it. We have to learn to accept our imperfections. We all have them and everyone tries to hide them. Here are my flaws (some I can fix, others are what they are):
    Relationships: I am aweful. I wrecked a 15 year friendship with a highschool sweetheart, I was selfish and an *kitten*. I can also be abrasive and brutal with little to no compassion. However ever since I shared this personal story, I have gotten better. Although I am by no means finished working on this.
    Skin Damage: I never wore sunscreen as a kid. Now I have moles, freckles, and scars. Some I wish weren’t there. Some girls won’t talk to me because of them. I am not “sexy” enough. They aren’t “interested”.

Don’t let your imperfections stop you from loving yourself. You are the only you this world will ever see, embrace yourself. Perhaps the worst thing about this cycle was I hated myself, I hated my life, I did not want to look in the mirror, I thought I was a failure that I would never make it, I contemplated suicide. When I would binge, I would punish myself. Don’t do that we are human, life is meant to be enjoyed. Life is much too short to never treat yourself to what you love to eat whatever that maybe for you. Look yourself in the mirror directly into your eyes saying “I LOVE myself” at least 10 times a day, if not more. P.S. try not to smile when you say this (harder than you think).

Thirdly, there is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.”

Fourth, going along the lines of moderation. You can eat whatever you want just not all at once. I believe I heard Layne Norton say this, I believe this, like the 11th commandment, in fact it should be an amendment to the constitution. When I first began to escape cycle, I would eat one “treat” at every meal. Nothing crazy, but it will allow you still get your “fix” but you won’t binge on it. Any action in the right direction gave me more motivation and encouragement to keep improving. The small wins kept snowballing into large victories later that slammed the door on binging. Disclaimer, it is wiser to eat this food item from a plate not from the container. Don’t test your will to fight binging if you do not have too. As the old saying goes, “work smarter, not harder.”

Fifth, no more crazy spreadsheets and tracking of nutrients line item by line item like an accountant. I did not worry about counting calories and the works. I would instead eat (3) meals, breakfast, lunch and supper possibly a snack if I was hungry. I would eat slowly, and as I began to feel fuller I would stop eating. You may be like me and scared that you’ll get fat. Well what is our other choice? We can keep binge eating which is not working, because you wouldn’t be reading this. Or we can reach out and try something new. I need to be conscious of my eating, instead of speed eating (still struggle at times).

Sixth, 180, 190, 160, 225, 200…what number was it going to be today I thought I as I closed my eyes scared to look down at the scale after a night of binging (these were all weights I reached during this cycle). You do not need a scale to help you. It’s about small wins, small wins, they add up trust me; I have been there too. Most people overestimate the damage of a binge. You need to eat in excess of 3500 calories over your normal intake to gain a pound of fat. It is not as bad as we create in our minds. Additionally, when we stand on the scale after a binge our body is bloated, full of food, sodium, and other goodies. This only compounds the guilt feeling.

It is your lucky day! I said six, but here is a seventh tip. So, what about eating at restaurants and parties? Parties were my kryptonite, the amount of food that I saw and I thought I had to eat three people’s worth of everything. What helped me to win at parties was I made this a game in my head (who cares no one else knows..plus now you know I did it). I am very competitive; I hate losing even if it’s go fish with a girlfriend (I will be a terrible father I will never let my kids win). Since eating slower and not getting seconds was a struggle at first. The game I created was to be the last one done eating, and the last one to get seconds. This helped me in many ways, first to help me eat slower I talked with people, this helped to repair the relationships I had damaged in the past, plus I was not over eating (win/win). Which is why I was last to get seconds, so often I would eat so quick that my stomach didn’t even know it was fed until I was already 4-5 plates of heaping food deep.

Make that eight, workout for fun! For so long in this process I trained for results no I do not mean goals; I simply worked out to look good that’s it! It was the complete wrong direction, it made training no fun, I dreaded every gym session, and was having a miserable time. It doesn’t matter if you are into bodybuilding, figure, physique, cross fit, powerlifting, strongman, marathons, etc. just train for fun, train to get better and challenge yourself. For me this was powerlifting.

Holy wall of text Batman! How does this dissertation relate to the topic of food addiction?
    BTW, the OP isn't going to take any of this advice because they're no longer engaged in the thread as it's a month old.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

well in school we did an experiment and I did in fact eat a donut every day for 6 months and then stopped.. I felt like *kitten*. I personally believed that to be mental. Addiction isn't a completely known subject without more discoveries to be made.

Breaking any habit can be difficult. I like to get up early and read the news and laze around before going to work. When I have to leave immediately (or first start working out first thing in the morning again) it feels like a real loss and I feel bad (although if I work out I do feel good afterwards). I'm not addicted to extra time in the morning -- it's just a habit I am accustomed to.