Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

i am losing it

I guess i'm being unhealthy, lately I've ate 1000 cals or more but less than 1200 and I am gaining weight!!!!!!! If I eat 800 cals a day I lose.....is this bad? But I am also freaking out because I'm gaining and I don't want to i need to lose over 17 pounds to get to my goal weight..........I don't need some one criticizing I need support and help

Replies

• supershala
    supershala Posts: 30
    Your body is in starvation mode. You need to follow the plan that MFP has laid out for you. Stick with the goals they give you, eat back your exercise calories, and I promise you will lose. If you are eating less then 1200 calories a day, you are destroying your metabolism and you will gain any weight you lose right back once you start eating "normally" again. The best plan is to change your lifestyle and start eating healthy on a daily basis. This is what will really help you lose the weight and keep it off. Good luck!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    If you can afford it, go and get your base metabolism tested. They have instruments such as the "Bodygem" that can actually test your metabolism. It sounds like your body is in a crisis though from not getting enough calories. The only way I know to pull out of those stavation crisis is to feed the body for a while. Let it know there is food and you aren't starving, and then slowly cut back. Also add in strength training, but be sure to feed your body. The less food you get the more efficient it is. Which is what you don't want. You want your body to run inefficient. You want it to burn lots of calories doing small things. Yeah it will mean a set back but it's better than having a rock bottom metabolism.
  • i know it seems like eating more is making you gain, but from what i heard we shouldnt be eating under 1200 due to that could cause you to go into starvation mode. but with eating 1200 cals or more and exercise and lots of water you should be able to lose the weight in no time, i have faith in you and know you can do it! :)
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Stick with mfp suggested cal intake and increase strength training. The more muscle you have the more cals you burn. Good Luck
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Make sure you are NET eating at least 1200 calories. I would also suggest eating almost all of your exercise calories back too. You might see the scale go up initially, but it should go back down! Hope this helps!
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Your body is in starvation mode. You need to follow the plan that MFP has laid out for you. Stick with the goals they give you, eat back your exercise calories, and I promise you will lose. If you are eating less then 1200 calories a day, you are destroying your metabolism and you will gain any weight you lose right back once you start eating "normally" again. The best plan is to change your lifestyle and start eating healthy on a daily basis. This is what will really help you lose the weight and keep it off. Good luck!

Well said!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    I guess i'm being unhealthy, lately I've ate 1000 cals or more but less than 1200 and I am gaining weight!!!!!!! If I eat 800 cals a day I lose.....is this bad? But I am also freaking out because I'm gaining and I don't want to i need to lose over 17 pounds to get to my goal weight..........I don't need some one criticizing I need support and help

Hang in there... it's just a matter of taking a good look at exactly what you are eating. With a few minor adjustments to your 1,200 calories, I think you may be doing just fine. The first thing I noticed is a lack of fruits and vegetables but heavy on complex (starchy) carbs like potatoes. Also, you are either not logging your water or you are not drinking any. Try to drink some water every single day and work up to 8 cups if you can. This will help flush out your system and keep thing running smoothly. Replace those potatoes with veggies. Replace the sugary morning cereal with something with protein like yogurt, eggs, nuts, cheese, etc. And finally, remember that all calories are not created equal. Take a good look at your diary. The answer is in there. You CAN do it! Just with choosing a few healthy foods to replace your no-so-healthy choices now will make a big, big difference! Good luck!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Your body is goin into starvation mode. yOUR BODY SAYS im not gonna get anymore food, im gonna hold on to every calorie possible! Eat 1200 or maybe go to your dr & get their suggestion. MFP has been pretty right on for me, but ive just started about a month ago. I need to loose 170 lbs & my calorie intake every day1840. Which is a quater of what i was eating before i started MFP. I have lost 4.5 Lbs. would have lost more had i not fallen off the emotional wagon. but in 1 week of doin everything right, even w some ice cream w the right portion size of course i lost 4.5 ibs w some exercise, just walking our dogs for 30 minutes 3 nights that week! Im the worst about drinking water