Weight loss plateau

Options
I've only lost about 1 pound in the past month :( I know htiting a plateau is pretty common.. anyone else experiencing this now and how are you going to get out of it? I don't feel I have changed my eating or exercising habits.. but the weight has stopped coming off

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've been plateaued for 6 months and counting :) hahahaha. I just keep on truckin'
    I'm still losing inches....so MEH to the scale.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just posted a blog about being at a plateau--I've been at one for about six weeks. But I've found that focusing on NSV's has been a major source of encouragement for me!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Please share with us what it is that you are doing so we can possibly have an idea how to modify your lifestyle. Plateaus are very common so a small tweak in your routine can get you out of it.
    Remember also, that if you keep doing the same thing over and over again day after day you will hit a plateau so it is very important to add different foods and to change your work outs regularly.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Mine's been about a month now, but I"m still losing inches so I'm not too concerned. I actually gained 2 lbs this week. Egads.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    Seems I plateau when I don't eat enough or I skip too much cardio. How close are you to your goal?
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had plateaued for about 3 weeks and decided to up my exercise. I challenged myself and have taken on the Insanity workout. Today was day 3 - I literally was a puddle on the floor when I was done. I am thinking that will help me get unstuck - and even if it doesn't I know I'll be stronger and smaller from the muscle I'll have developed.

i think the key is just to stay positive and keep giving it our all :smile:
  • kaswain
    kaswain Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been on a plateau for about a month now, but i have been determined to break it this week. I weigh in on Saturday mornings so fingers crossed i did it. Here is what i changed this week in the hopes of sparking something:

1. I am consuming triple the veggies i did in weeks prior and about half of the fruit (I was eating about 5 servings of fruit everyday)
    2. Added more whole grains in the form on bagels and pasta, before i was eating extremely low carb
    3. Watched my calories even more closely this week.
    4. Havent weighed in since last Saturday morning, which is giving myself a break from weighing in every morning which im finding makes me more neurotic than anything else.

I'm hoping all these changes are giving my metabolism a kickstart!
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Not changing your eating may be the problem.
    I actually went on vacay for a week and ate different foods...actually added some calories to my usual diet and came home to a weight loss!
    I think I was eating too few calories.
    I also tend to eat the same kind of foods every day. I think just switching things up sometimes helps your body. zig zag your calories a bit..add some new food items if you tend to eat the same things every day, change up your exercise routine... and see what happens!
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've been plateaued for 6 months and counting :) hahahaha. I just keep on truckin'
    I'm still losing inches....so MEH to the scale.

Love it! That's what I'm doing right now...somedays its fustrating...others I'm like Meh...my clothes are fitting better!
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I see NSV around this site a lot. Just wondering what that stands for.
  • Pete_Mann
    Options
    Non-Scale Victory.

i.e. I still weigh the same, but I am down a notch on my belt, NSV!
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lol! Yeah those words aren't likely ever to leave my mouth. Cute and funny though. Thanks for answering!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, and am totally frustrated as well. My entire purpose for joining MFP was to stop with the 3 lb up and down I always seem to be doing, but here I am still.

I saw someone reply about modifying food and exercise. I'm not sure what food modification would help, but I ran M, W, and today. I should probably do more strength / circut training to balance out all my cardio, but honestly I am more interested in losing weight than building muscle. :/
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I plateaued for almost 2 months. It broke once I upped my calories because I had my MFP goals set too aggressively at 1-2 pound/week loss. I am down to the last 10 pounds and have learned that once in a "normal" BMI range, your body holds on to those pounds! I now have MFP set at losing 0.5 lb/week and am losing very slowly, but losing again nonetheless!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I was on a six week plateau....literally, like lose/gain/lose/gain...all in the same 2lb range. The way I broke it was by becoming violently ill for three days lol. I ate almost nothing, and stopped exercising completely. Once I felt better...I went back to work, and because I was so unprepared from being sick, I had taco bell for lunch (for about three days), and even pizza for dinner. During this time I HEAVILY zig zagged my calories (and still am). I was on a zig zag program before...but I don't think it was varied enough for me. Now I'm doing 1300-1500cal for two to three days (usually two...and no real set number on the calories), then eating 2100+ or so on day three. I'm not exercising still, though I am working harder in both a very physical job and hobby. I was eating 100% clean before...will be again here shortly...but for now, I only consider what I'm eating for the caloric content. Yes, that means taco bell, kraft macaroni and cheese...etc.

I was 189lbs two weeks ago. Today I'm 183lbs.

Now, as a disclaimer...I don't know why this worked. Maybe my body was so used to all the clean food I was eating it flat rejected the crap lol. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone (other than the idea of 100% taking a break for a couple weeks...from diet and exercise)...but I'm telling you...it worked for me.

Cris

~Edit - Also...as another disclaimer...I'm not losing muscle mass. I've lost 3" in my waist over this same two weeks...and my biceps are actually BIGGER than they were two weeks ago as well.~
  • Pete_Mann
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, and am totally frustrated as well. My entire purpose for joining MFP was to stop with the 3 lb up and down I always seem to be doing, but here I am still.

I saw someone reply about modifying food and exercise. I'm not sure what food modification would help, but I ran M, W, and today. I should probably do more strength / circut training to balance out all my cardio, but honestly I am more interested in losing weight than building muscle. :/

You don't have to bulk up, but you do want to get more lean muscle, that will help you burn more calories even when you aren't doing anything.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

As a woman...you'd have to eat a body builders diet, and do substantial lifting with short reps and heavy weights to gain as much muscle as a wiry, thin male. Genetically you are not built for mass...and for some reason that myth that you are just keeps being perpetuated. Moderate weight, 10-15 reps...and you'll be shocked at how much weight you lose, and how much more toned you are.

Cris
  • aladd2
    aladd2 Posts: 70
    Options
    I plateaued for almost 2 months. It broke once I upped my calories because I had my MFP goals set too aggressively at 1-2 pound/week loss. I am down to the last 10 pounds and have learned that once in a "normal" BMI range, your body holds on to those pounds! I now have MFP set at losing 0.5 lb/week and am losing very slowly, but losing again nonetheless!

Oh, that makes sense. I have my MFP set to losing a pound and a half a week, but I don't feel like I'm eating too little. Sometimes I feel like I eat too much (that may be why i hit a plateau also haha) and I'm not really losing inches, I'm not gaining anything either. I'm just stuck at this one spot. I do eat a lot of the same things every day. I'm going to try to switch things up a bit and go harder on my cardio than I have been. Thanks for the tips everyone :)
  • rosieraven
    rosieraven Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the changing what you eat. If you have a set menu for the day/week, try having a day or two each week where you try something new. I'm a chef, and I'm working on coming up with some great new recipes, so if you need something new to try, just let me know! We'll come up with something delicious for you. :)
  • Lacey9693
    Lacey9693 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have lost 98 lbs in 2 years . But I have not lost a lbs since December. Don't give up . You will break through it:flowerforyou: They always say to change up your exercises.