B6/B12 injections

Options
In addition to keeping within your calorie limit. I am curious if anyone else has tried B6, B12 injections to help with weight loss?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You've been reading the magazines at the grocery store?
    You get enough from food. If worried, take a 4 cent a day multivitamin that contains b12.
  • sandraashcroft6
    sandraashcroft6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lol, no magazines. Just a diet somewhat popular in Ontario called Dr. Bernstein.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been diagnosed as being deficient, the shots will do absolutely nothing. Weight loss "clinics" that tend to push this stuff are ripping people off selling snake oil under the guise of being a medical facility. They're not much better than these clowns on Facebook pushing Thrive, Plexus, Advocare, and Herbalife garbage.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Rip off....all itll do for most is give you expensive pee
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @PaulaWallaDingDong very nice in picking up weight loss clinic.
    They rip off people any way they can.
    I googled that Dr. Bernstein.
    One in my town sells body wraps for $300 a pop.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    B12 shots only give you energy if you are actually deficient in b12
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight loss, but I had B12 shots for deficiency and was horribly thirsty to the point where I couldn't sleep and badly bloated for a couple of days. After that horrible experience I take B12 in pill form regularly to avoid having to go through that again (no effect on weight loss by the way, if anything I gained due to bloating).
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I had to get them due to a deficiency for a while and while they did give me energy and help me function they did nothing for weight loss. They essentially allowed me to get out of bed in the morning and lead a somewhat productive life. If you're not deficient, I wouldn't recommend getting them. if you are interested in seeing if an increase will have positive effects for you I recommend getting the pill version, but make certain that it's in a bioavailable form. Good luck!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have known people who took the Bernstein program - very low calorie, injections whose legitimacy is questionable, and lots of money. Not worth it when all that needs to be done is cut calories and take a vitamin.
  • numbnumbnumb
    numbnumbnumb Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Dr. B. is a VLC diet (about 800-900 calories per day). The B12 shots are just to make you feel like you aren't wasting $200/week.
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I get b12 shots once a month due to a deficiency that my doctor discovered at my last physical in my blood work. I only notice a slight increase in energy for about a day or two. It hasn't helped with weight loss.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    LOL Nope I've been taking high doses of pill form from b complex for about a year and my weight didn't move until I started moving more and eating less. ;) B vitamins have a great purpose but I don't think weight loss is one. I have anemia and there's a chance my lack of B vitamins are a cause.
  • sandraashcroft6
    sandraashcroft6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for input
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    In addition to keeping within your calorie limit. I am curious if anyone else has tried B6, B12 injections to help with weight loss?

This reminds me of the time when my ex stepfather had a weekly pill case with 5 different vitamin pills for everyday. It did absolutely nothing for him but made him a little bit poorer
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I personally make sure to eat foods that are fortified with B12 and my multivitamin also contains b6 & b12. I would never get injections, that seems entirely too expensive and a huge hassle when I can just pop my vitamin in the morning or drink some fortified almond milk.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    The only people I've heard of B12 injections being useful to are for people with fibromyalgia or other nerve-pain disorders, and for people who are severely B deficient. I've never heard of using it for weigh loss. Kind of seems like a scam to me. Of course, if the B injections increase your energy, it will likely increase your activity level, and hence, your calorie burn. But if that's the case, you could probably get the same reaction from a cup of caffeinated tea or coffee and forgo expensive injections.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I personally make sure to eat foods that are fortified with B12 and my multivitamin also contains b6 & b12. I would never get injections, that seems entirely too expensive and a huge hassle when I can just pop my vitamin in the morning or drink some fortified almond milk.

Some people just have to. I was lucky my deficiency was diet related not absorbtion related. There are types of B12 anemia where the person does not absorb B12 well from dietary sources and supplements. I second your approach for those who don't have that issue. You can never know how those injections affect you until you try them, and in some cases like mine it's not a pleasant experience.