Whey Protein for weight loss.

Options
I have read a few articles on has anyone tried it? If so when do you take it and how much?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer calories than your body burns = weight loss.

Whey protein has no weight loss properties to speak of. If you struggle to meet daily protein goals, then protein powders are a good addition.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use whey protein some for breakfast because I'm not a morning eater. I've trained myself to have fruit and something small because I was advised to eat with my meds. I have been using it to meet my protein needs. I've been aiming for 90-100 grams. I was lucky to get 60-80 before. I'm lifting along with my cardio to help preserve my lean muscle mass.

Some days I have just morning shake other days I may have another after my gym trip. Then a few here and there I have had none. I've lost weight but I'm 99% sure its from the exercise and keeping to a calorie goal.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Eating fewer calories than your body burns = weight loss.

Whey protein has no weight loss properties to speak of. If you struggle to meet daily protein goals, then protein powders are a good addition.

Seconded.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you're cutting calories, you have a hard time getting all the protein you need to maintain your muscles while you're in a deficit. For me, I need about 85-110 g of protein. If you're not a big fan of meat, it can be hard to get that much protein.

I also use protein powder to "up" the protein in certain things. Like, I can add protein powder to my coffee or yogurt.

Or some people find them a very "filling" meal for the 150 calories or whatever they are and they eat them as a snack to ward off hunger.

But there's nothing magic in it. In fact, depending on the whey it might actually be a "gainer" whey that's designed to be easily uptook into your system so you can put on weight during a bodybuilding "bulk" cycle.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have a 25g whey shake 2 or 3 times/day, just to make up my protein (they're 20g protein for 94cals). I don't find them at all filling but I am mixing it with water not milk.