Hello I am just starting out.

Options
Hi I am new here just joined as I am just now starting my weight lose journey.
I am 360pounds on high blood pressure meds and have been dieting for 6 days now.

I have lost 3 pounds in that time which I am sure us water but weight off is weight off. The problem is I think I might not be eating enough I put my details in when I joined it told me to eat 2560 calories on a daily basis to lose 2 pounds a week.

I might be at best getting 1200 calories daily I will start logging on here tomorrow as I just joined so the 1200 is a guess but I think a good one.

I noticed since I started eating this way my sleep us messed up as well as my head. My sleep I find I toss more then I use to. My head I notice when I'm on my feet for any length of time I get a pain on the top of it and get off balance.

I never had this happen to me before this diet and it scares me. I had a full blood work done before I started and was fine which is weird at my weight just the high blood pressure which I'm on meds for. I also went from 3 liters (yes 3) of pop a day to 2.5 liters of water and one can of pop.

I am not looking for medical advice just opinions as this might of happened to a member. I am thinking it is because my calories might be too low and drinking way more water.

Any help in this matter would be absolutely appreciated.

Have a great day!!

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why do you think 1200 is a "good one"?? Cause it is not...

You weigh 360lbs, you probably ate around 5000 cals a day to get to that, which means 1200 is not even close to providing you the basic nutrients you need, never mind fuel your body for daily living....Therefore the sleep disturbances and balance issues.
    Eat as close to 2500 as you can - it is NOT that difficult....You did not get to your current weight not being able to eat more than 1200, did you?
    Drink a glass of full fat milk if you are not "hungry" after 1200 calories, add some avocado, nuts, meat or something like that - all healthy and calorie dense....

If you are planning on succeeding at this, use your common sense and feed your body what it needs... Starving yourself will not work and will not be sustainable.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. Why aren't you eating the 2560 as directed?
  • bigmangettingsmall
    bigmangettingsmall Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »

I will be i just joined the site 20 minutes ago so I can track my food the 1200 is a guess but starting tomorrow I will be logging my food to see how many calories I'm eating and up then as needed. The 1200 calories actually fills me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more. Minimum 1500 calories, if not your goal. If you're still having trouble eating more (and are as close to 100% accurate in your logging as possible), then take a look at this list for some ideas on what to add: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Where is the guess of 1200 coming from? Where are you coming up with that as a pretty good guess? Are you planning to weigh your food when you start tracking it?
  • bigmangettingsmall
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Where is the guess of 1200 coming from? Where are you coming up with that as a pretty good guess? Are you planning to weigh your food when you start tracking it?

I look on the label for calories. Yes I will weigh everything I bought a food scale today and glass good containers with lick lids for left overs and cook ahead foods.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I would kill for 2500 calories a day. oh man the possibilities are endless haha. Follow the advice on MFP If you are not hungry after 1200 Make smoothies with peanut butter, milk, and banana ect. There is a great list on here with calorie dense foods. Don't go so drastic... it seems like cutting as low as possible is a great idea, but you have medical issues and you gotta nourish that body!
  • miconsumafuoco
    miconsumafuoco Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's important to do something sustainable bc if you go into starvation mode, not only will you be more likely to give up all together, but you body will believe you're starving and hold onto to the calories you eat even more, slowing down your current metabolism. It may not slow down as drastically as others with less body fat, but why wreck your metabolism and work against yourself? Eventually you'll GAIN weight eating the same amount of food you normally eat, and that negative change in metabolism could stick around, especially if any of the weight you lose is lean muscle mass, which also burns calories for you.

I knew almost nothing about nutrition for a long time but have begun to learn so much through reading about it and listening to others. To get you started, if you can spare a few bucks, you could buy Tom Venuto's book Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. I have learned so much about basic nutrition and exercise from that book.

Find a few ways to calculate the calories that you already eat and get an average. Cut no more than 30 percent to avoid going into starvation mode. This app will give you a good idea as long as your height and weight are correct. I used a formula in Tom's book. Also calories are hidden in A LOT of things you may think are trivial, so count everything.

Congratulations on starting something new and good luck to you!
  • malibu927
    Options
    It's important to do something sustainable bc if you go into starvation mode, not only will you be more likely to give up all together, but you body will believe you're starving and hold onto to the calories you eat even more, slowing down your current metabolism. It may not slow down as drastically as others with less body fat, but why wreck your metabolism and work against yourself? Eventually you'll GAIN weight eating the same amount of food you normally eat, and that negative change in metabolism could stick around, especially if any of the weight you lose is lean muscle mass, which also burns calories for you.

I knew almost nothing about nutrition for a long time but have begun to learn so much through reading about it and listening to others. To get you started, if you can spare a few bucks, you could buy Tom Venuto's book Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. I have learned so much about basic nutrition and exercise from that book.

Find a few ways to calculate the calories that you already eat and get an average. Cut no more than 30 percent to avoid going into starvation mode. This app will give you a good idea as long as your height and weight are correct. I used a formula in Tom's book. Also calories are hidden in A LOT of things you may think are trivial, so count everything.

Starvation mode doesn't work in that way
  • miconsumafuoco
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I read that in the book, and a quick search of WebMD basically says the same thing: http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/tc/weight-loss-by-limiting-calories-topic-overview

Maybe I misunderstand what you disagree with?
  • malibu927
    Options

I read that in the book, and a quick search of WebMD basically says the same thing: http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/tc/weight-loss-by-limiting-calories-topic-overview

Your body does not hold on to fat because you're eating too few calories. That defies science. Adaptive thermogenesis can happen, where your metabolism does decrease from an extended deficit, but it takes a long time.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

I think every single person who had to go through the horrible holocaust would disagree with you and any book who states otherwise.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    The fewest calories a man should consume a day is 1500 calories...unless directed by and supervised by a doctor. Why don't you give your doctor a call to see if they can recommend a nutrionist for you? Best wishes on your new lifestyle!
  • miconsumafuoco
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

I think every single person who had to go through the horrible holocaust would disagree with you and any book who states otherwise.

I agree. Also, I would find ANY percentage drop in my metabolism to be a negative point. (A fact pointed out even by this highly opinionated article.) As far as holding onto calories, a drop in metabolism means burning less calories, excess calories are usually stored as fat.

I think this man is looking for friendly, helpful and beginner-level advice. Not negative feedback.
  • malibu927
    edited June 2016
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

I agree. Also, I would find ANY percentage drop in my metabolism to be a negative point. (A fact pointed out even by this highly opinionated article.) As far as holding onto calories, a drop in metabolism means burning less calories, excess calories are usually stored as fat.

I think this man is looking for friendly, helpful and beginner-level advice. Not negative feedback.

Which is why regularly recalculating your goal is suggested, and even prompted by MFP, after you've lost so much weight (5-10 pounds, generally). But it would never reach the point of a man not being able to lose on 1200 calories. There are many other reasons to not eat that low, however (muscle loss and malnutrition being the main ones).
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I will be i just joined the site 20 minutes ago so I can track my food the 1200 is a guess but starting tomorrow I will be logging my food to see how many calories I'm eating and up then as needed. The 1200 calories actually fills me.

Really though, follow the calories the site suggests and then adjust as necessary after a couple weeks if you don't see results. Don't punish yourself. 1200 is unsustainable for people half your size. If it is filling, I think maybe you're eating more than 1200.
  • bigmangettingsmall
    Options

Really though, follow the calories the site suggests and then adjust as necessary after a couple weeks if you don't see results. Don't punish yourself. 1200 is unsustainable for people half your size. If it is filling, I think maybe you're eating more than 1200.

It is filling as it mostly veggies.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    So you have been told by a bunch of people that you are not eating enough, therefore you feel sick and dizzy. You insist that you are eating filling veggies (:-D) and that you are eating enough.
    Sorry, then you don't really want advice.....