Backpacking Gear

I just went backpacking for the first time this weekend, and I really enjoyed it! Do you have any tips for backpacking or any gear you love? I especially need a pad/mat to sleep on, a backpack and hiking boots.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I use a ZPacks down quilt instead of a mummy bag because I can open it flat like a blanket on warm nights and bundle up on cold ones. And of course because it's light; I want to be comfortable on the hike and not just while I sleep. Also a NeoAir XTherm, and some Feathered Friends down booties. :smile:

Where did you go? What was the trip like?
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Oh you did it.
    This is like asking what's the best running shoes. There are a lot of opinions, basically one for every way to backpack.

Some people go fast and light. Some people aren't comfortable without a kitchen sink strapped to their back.

Backpack: I made my own. http://scorpio516.blogspot.com/2013/02/g4-backpack-part-1.html . It's a GVP G4 that Gossamer Gear still sells: http://gossamergear.com/g4-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle.html . It's frameless, but kinda old - doesn't use fancy materials, just ripstop nylon. It doesn't hold much weight, but my base weight is at about 3.5 kg right now.

Sleeping: I use a hammock and quilt. No tent. No pads. And I sleep better for it. I don't have the lightest hammock, but my whole sleeping system is about 2kg.

Boots? I haven't hiked in boots since 1992. Trail runners all the way. The ankle support argument is false.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    I use a ZPacks down quilt instead of a mummy bag because I can open it flat like a blanket on warm nights and bundle up on cold ones. And of course because it's light; I want to be comfortable on the hike and not just while I sleep. Also a NeoAir XTherm, and some Feathered Friends down booties. :smile:

Where did you go? What was the trip like?

Thank you!! Somewhere in california, 4.5 miles to the campsite and 3 miles back. Heat was about 90 with a little breeze. I believe elevation change was around 1,000 feet. loved it!
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Oh you did it.
    This is like asking what's the best running shoes. There are a lot of opinions, basically one for every way to backpack.

Some people go fast and light. Some people aren't comfortable without a kitchen sink strapped to their back.

Backpack: I made my own. http://scorpio516.blogspot.com/2013/02/g4-backpack-part-1.html . It's a GVP G4 that Gossamer Gear still sells: http://gossamergear.com/g4-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle.html . It's frameless, but kinda old - doesn't use fancy materials, just ripstop nylon. It doesn't hold much weight, but my base weight is at about 3.5 kg right now.

Sleeping: I use a hammock and quilt. No tent. No pads. And I sleep better for it. I don't have the lightest hammock, but my whole sleeping system is about 2kg.

Boots? I haven't hiked in boots since 1992. Trail runners all the way. The ankle support argument is false.

Thanks for the tips! I like the hammock idea a lot. And I am going to research trail runners. That's an interesting point! :)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    I just bought a small 30 litre pack. I actually firt the men's version better than the women's version. I have a longer torso and broad shoulders.
    I wanted a pack that kept away from my body and had an integrated rain cover. It is tucked in the bottom of the pack and you just pull it over everything if it rains.

Try REI as you are american. It's a co-op store and they do mail order. They send you yearly rebates based on the $ you spend.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I only wear boots when I know I'll encounter a lot of snow. "A pound on your feet is like ten pounds on your back" people say, and I know I get tired sooner in heavy boots than I do in light shoes. I did Cascade Pass to Stehekin (about 25 miles, in 3 days) and the Chelan Lakeshore (19 miles, in 2 days) in tennis shoes.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Baby wipes!:)LOL
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Pack: I just got a Deuter pack in Dec. and I love it. A lot of people talk about cutting weight, but I found that switching to a more comfortable pack (even though the pack itself is much heavier) makes much more difference than weight. I feel like I can carry 20 lbs. more now and have the same comfort level.

Boots: Personally, I don't hike with shoes but I know many do. I sprain ankles way too easily, so I wear good mids for ankle support. My Lowas have been with me for 2.5 years in dozens of states (mostly day hikes) and are about ready to be replaced.

Sleeping gear: Depending on how you sleep and what conditions you might encounter, I always suggest going with colder ratings (and use reliable ratings like EN, not just what a manufacturer decides to put on a bag) than you think you will need. It is easier to open the bag up and let out heat than it is to add heat. I use an inflatable pad and inflatable pillow. Since I sleep alone (usually hike solo anyway), I use a bivy rather than a tent. The groundcloth I use is some construction wrap cut to just bigger than my bivy sack. Cheap and effective... and as it gets dirty and worn, I just cut a new piece from the roll.

Cooking: I'm picky, so I use an MSR Dragonfly. I've considered other lighter-weight stoves, but will not go with something that uses disposable canisters. It is just too inconvenient overall. I cook with those Sea to Summit collapsible pots and have tea kettle from the same collapsible line (for coffee, cocoa, cider, whatever).

Water: Not sure if you are using bottles or a reservoir. In particularly hot areas with little water access, I'll use both. But usually I have a 3L reservoir at least (I sweat more than most people it seems) and a Katadin filter.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Boots - totally personal preference. I know what I like, but that should mean nothing to you. Go to a local shop and see what they stock, then try on a bunch of stuff and see how things feel.

Pack - Also largely about preference. I really like Osprey packs as I like the way the straps fit me. But if you're talking about a day hike, most any pack that is properly sized will work.