Vegan diet help

Hi there!
I'm just getting started on here, and I know my eating choices aren't always the healthiest.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice or examples for a vegan diet that will help me lose weight.
Thanks a lot :)

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    It may be easier to help with suggestions if you give an idea of what type of food you life.

No one food is "unhealthy" by itself. You have to look at the over all intake and and see if it's balanced.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    I know a vegetarian that does not like beans or greens.
    Complicates things.
  • 2doglife
    2doglife Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! I too am vegan. I struggle most with lunches...especially during the work week. It isn't very easy to buy healthy vegan food on the fly. Therefore, I tend to meal prep a bit during the week. I make a lot of curry, pasta, and potatoes. These meals usually last for the week and help cover the meals when you don't really feel like cooking. I also keep a lot of snacks on hand like tortilla chips and guacamole, fruit, and almond milk ice cream sandwiches (my favorite :) ) Being prepared works best for me. I also don't follow any special diet ( raw vegan, high carb low fat, etc). I am a "anything as long as it is vegan" vegan. If you want to make healthy choices I would recommend just finding ways to substitute some ingredients in your current recipes with fruits and veggies. Stirfrys are a great way to get in some vegetables. Hope this helps!
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    For breakfast I have oatmeal usually. Lunch is leftovers or a green smoothie. Dinners are things like pastas, burritos, veggie burgers, homemade pizza, beans and rice, pad Thai, salads, etc. I have a huge collection of vegan cookbooks and I enjoy cooking a very varied diet. I have four kids so I find myself eating more smart dogs and Boca burgers than I'd like.

I'm a whatever I want as long as it's vegan and fits my calories vegan, too.

I suggest you get a few cookbooks or look online for vegan meal ideas!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited June 2016
    My vegan friends make legumes the backbone of their diet. Here are some vegan recipes for which the main ingredient is Beans or Lentils: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:158786&f[1]=field_recipe_main_ingredient:789

Also look in your library system for cookbooks.
  • mdw06077
    mdw06077 Posts: 3 Member
    Be mindful that going vegan is a ethical choice. It has nothing to do with health or weight loss. I know plenty of obese vegans that have unrestricted diets because they are "vegan" and they feel as if this gives them some pass. I'm healthy I'm vegan. The vegan diet is subjected to the hard facts of weight and calories just like everything else. I mean technically oreos are vegan. Doesn't mean they are healthy. The only thing that matters - health aside - when talking about teaching and maintains a healthy BMI is calories in vs calories out. As for health - make sure you are meeting your nutritional needs as best you can. Lots of grains and beans along with vegetables. Maybe take some vitamins.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Are you already a vegan, now trying to lose weight, or are you looking into veganism to lose weight?
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Do you want to go vegan for ideological reasons or just to lose weight?
  • mallygirl420
    mallygirl420 Posts: 66 Member
    Yes!! I'm not vegan but I love eating vegan a few times a week. Check out Thug Kitchen and the Oh She Glows cookbook on Amazon. If you cook, these are both amazing.
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Do not switch to a vegan lifestyle because you think it will help you lose weight, because it will not. Lots of overweight vegans out there.

Choose a vegan lifestyle because it is a good fit nutritionally and ethically.

If your only aim is to lose weight, then eat less that you do. If you think you eat poorly and would like to be better nourished then eat more whole foods. Protein, veg, whole grains and avoid processed foods.

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Eat anything you like! Remember to eat a variety of whole plant foods, that way you'll be reaching your nutrient goals. Look for vegan recipes online (endless results!), using ingredients you already like.
  • danicaliforniagurl
    danicaliforniagurl Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! I'm vegan, and I'm trying to lose a few pounds too. The most important thing to keep in mind is that the healthiest food for you is food that is unprocessed. Since veganism has become more popular, there is more processed foods that market themselves as vegan (fake meats, microwave meals, and sweet treats.) Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they're healthy.

Anyway, when I'm trying to eat healthy, I eat fruit or oatmeal for breakfast. Then I'll have one big meal a day (usually dinner) and salad for the other meal. When I eat sweets, I try to eat them earlier in the day so I have time to burn the calories off.

Also, hemp seed hearts have been very helpful for me when it comes to appetite suppression. They're full of protein and I sprinkle them on most of my meals. Because of the protein boost, I feel full more quickly.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    It also doesn't mean they are unhealthy, though. Any food can be healthy in moderation.

I've been vegan for over a decade. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my macro goals and total calorie goals. My health is great, my blood tests are good, my doctor has no complaints and I'm healthier than I ever have been because I eat a varied diet, albeit one high in processed stuff. I got fat as a junk food vegan, got thin as a junk food vegan, maintain health by adding whole foods (fruit, veg, and grains) into my diet regularly, and am now bodybuilding successfully on a vegan diet.

One can eat as much processed food as they want on a vegan diet and provided it's a varied enough diet to meet macro and micro needs, you will maintain good health and provided it's below your TDEE, you will lose weight.

Vegan diets are not magical when it comes to health and can easily be quite the opposite if you don't take the time to learn about your own bodies nutritional needs, and how to get adequate amounts of certain vitamins and minerals through either diet or supplementation.

Here's a good place to start learning about the nutrition needs of a vegan diet and how it might impact you in a negative way if you aren't careful with nutrition.

http://www.veganhealth.org/

Key for me is varying my fruit and veg sources so that I eat a wider variety than I normally otherwise would. It helps me to ensure that I get a wide variety of micronutrients in my diet, since most of my protein sources are processed since I can generally get a higher density of protein per calorie that way.