Pre and Post Workout

RB5790
RB5790 Posts: 817 Member
Hi all! I have been lifting weights for some time now and want to know what Pre-Work out and Post-Work out others like to take the best and why. Thanks!

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    My all-time faves are water and water
  • sdclement84
    sdclement84 Posts: 5 Member
    I dont like the high caffiene pre workouts...plus bad for my high BP. I eat a Power Crunch Protien Bar Before, and drink a GS protien shake afterwards.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    My all-time faves are water and water

You beat me to it.

On a more serious note, complex carb and protein meal couple hours before I train in the evening then after whatever my macros will allow.

Training in the morning, 2x banana and PB smoothie before and a solid breakfast after.

I don't buy into the bull, you need to fill up with supplements before and after.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Nothing in particular. Pre and post workout meal timing, while not a myth, is majoring in the minors for the vast majority of exercisers.

Hit your calories, macros and micros over a reasonable time frame and you'll be good.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Hi all! I have been lifting weights for some time now and want to know what Pre-Work out and Post-Work out others like to take the best and why. Thanks!

Just read a wonderful report on pre/post nutrient timing and effects. Check it out.

Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Love Brad. Thanks for posting.

Anyway, unlike others on here I love my pre-workout. I'm fine with muscletech or C4. Post workout I don't do anything special...usually it's time for dinner, I get my protein in. I'm relatively low carb so I don't do carbs after my workout really but sometimes I eat a snickers bar while I'm working out cause I'm a fatty.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Back to your original question, OP. I do use a pre-workout occasionally when I am really dragging. I've tried lots of samples, and my favorite is ENGN EVL in blue raspberry or green apple. Tastes like Jolly Ranchers, gives good steady energy without spazzing me out, and not a lot of niacin tingle (I hate that!). If I take it too late in the evening, it will keep me up at night, though.
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    POPTARTS!!!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Love Brad. Thanks for posting.

Anyway, unlike others on here I love my pre-workout. I'm fine with muscletech or C4. Post workout I don't do anything special...usually it's time for dinner, I get my protein in. I'm relatively low carb so I don't do carbs after my workout really but sometimes I eat a snickers bar while I'm working out cause I'm a fatty.

I get a kick out Brad's arguments with Fred Hahn on Facebook
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Pre-workout: Coffee - I like it and it gets the job done.
    Post-workout: Whey protein shake because I am usually short on my protein macros, it contains nothing I am allergic to, and it's easy to drink in the car on the way home.

YMMV
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Pre-workout: coffee if it's in the morning, emoty stomach as possible if it's in the afternoon

Post-workout: A normal meal or the intense carb packed food that I am craving, like pizza or pancakes. If i eat these after a workout it doesn't make me sluggish as opposed to any other time of the day where it kills my energy. I know there is real science behind this but my brosciene explanation is that my energy stores are depleted after a workout so all the energy in the carbs is being put to use replenishing glucose stores.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    kuftae wrote: »
    Pre-workout: coffee if it's in the morning, emoty stomach as possible if it's in the afternoon

Post-workout: A normal meal or the intense carb packed food that I am craving, like pizza or pancakes. If i eat these after a workout it doesn't make me sluggish as opposed to any other time of the day where it kills my energy. I know there is real science behind this but my brosciene explanation is that my energy stores are depleted after a workout so all the energy in the carbs is being put to use replenishing glucose stores.

If if makes you feel good do it. Like you said....bro science. It's actually not doing what you think though.