Potassium and Iron

Options
ritzcrk
ritzcrk Posts: 5 Member
I've been really good about logging in my foods and eating healthy. However, I've noticed I'm not hitting my potassium and iron goals and want to increase those. What veggies would be the best to increase those? I don't want to eat red meat and I'm staying away from dairy.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Potassium.
    Beans have a lot of potassium. But have you looked at the label on the can?
    It does not state potassium content.
    Therefore, users cannot input that information on this database.
    Lots of foods have potassium. Even coffee and tea. So do meats and tomatoes.
    My multivitamin has my iron. Foods such as chicken, beans, seafood, dark greens.
    Again, users may not input the iron out of laziness.
    I consider magnesium more important than anything else.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Iron and potassium aren't musts in nutritional labelling so your reporting will be off. Potatoes are high in potassium and Brussels sprouts have lots of iron, as do other green leafy veggies.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    https://healthaliciousness.com/

whfoods.com/nutrientstoc.php

These sites allow you to look up most of the essential nutrients your body needs including potassium and iron.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My food diary was always low on potassium until I started searching the food database for the exact terms used to describe vegetables, grains, fruits and cuts of meat in the USDA food database, Here's a link to a recent pork chop I had https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2559?manu=&fgcd= The usda database gives potassium values. I make certain that the mfp food database matches the potassium value, and double-check the A, C, Calcium and Iron values. Many times a user has entered the IU number for those nutrients, when the food database presents them as RDA%. You have to find the RDA of the nutrients and then do some division. For instance 100 IU of Vitamin A is not 100%. It's 10% because the RDA is 1000. It's even more complicated than that, and mfp doesn't give us a tool to handle it. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/#h2 .
  • ritzcrk
    ritzcrk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is very helpful and thanks for the links. I did a basic Google search prior to posting but I always like hearing what this community has to say as I've learned just googling doesn't give me all of these resources.
    Thanks all!
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's a pain that so much of the MFP database is frankly rubbish - especially for the vits and mins. I've taken to logging most of my foods afresh rather than using the open source database. So many people get the salt content wrong. The database is in mg and so much packaging states salt content in grammes. People under calculating by a thousand fold!
    You can report it, but not on a mobile.