How do you deal with suppressing hunger / cravings?

Options
Hello MFP'rs.

Reading over this forum (and based on my own experience previously), it is clear to me that the only way to lose weight is to be in a caloric deficit.

I work in a job where I am sitting all day but I try to get away from my desk to do a cardio workout in the gym about half way through the day (before lunch).

I still find myself hungry and craving for food a lot. Its difficult because I have many, many free snack options available to me at work.

Any advice on this? I'd be interested to know how others have dealt with the same.
I feel like, if there was something more I could do to build momentum it might help!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Eat a low calorie snack
    Drink a no/low calorie beverage.
    Add more protein and fiber to your diet.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Gum. Typically just the flavoring from the Gum is enough to help me out. And water. Drink water. Proteins and fibers are harder to break down so they'll leave you feeling fuller longer.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat the snacks from work then include them as part of your daily calories. Enjoy! :yum:
  • ARTMOM717
    ARTMOM717 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat whole foods for snacks. I have found for me that empty calories with junk food perpetuates the problem. I'm more satisfied when I prepare and take my own snacks, let's say apple and nuts, or cheese and veggies, or my own homemade items that came from whole foods. Artificial sweeteners, white flour and processed sugar or ingredients set up cravings. Many junk foods have science of craving behind them so that the companies will be assured of your continued business...not to mention doctors when you are sick because of low nutrition.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Treat hunger and craving differently. If you're hungry, eat. If you're just craving, distract yourself.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and a ton of veggies! I use a stir fry frozen mix and eat 4 servings worth, which is 4 cups and only calories. It really feels me up.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I can only add watch your macros and try to match MFP recommendations as closely as possible. I find myself rarely hungry; I only end up hungry when I fail to plan my food correctly. I also have a desk job.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry or just wanting food because it's there?

When I was in the habit of snacking at work I felt like eating a lot during the day. Once I stopped and broke the habit, I stopped feeling that way.

The important thing for me was making sure I wasn't really hungry by eating satisfying meals (I like either 3 meals or 3 meals and a snack, depending on my workout schedule). I eat protein and vegetables at all meals, which I find filling, plus various other foods too, of course. When I'd want to eat at 10:30 or 4, I'd think about how soon it was until my next meal, and focus on that (or sometimes plan my next meal to channel the food thoughts). I also initially let myself snack as much as I wanted on low calorie foods (like raw veg) I brought from home. My desire to eat between meals and perceived hunger went away pretty quickly and now because I'm not in the habit of snacking I don't really notice all the snacks at work so much, unless I start snacking on them again for a while, of course.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt helps me a lot
  • Hendewich
    Hendewich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bring in a protein based snack to have at 3pm such as a hard boiled egg and mustard. 80 calories and keeps the cravings at bay. I also like fat free ricotta with a little stevia and some cinnamon, 70 calories for a half cup and it is very filling. There are lots of options, if you like hot dogs bring in a low fat variety you can pop in the micro and then slice up and enjoy.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Plan every meal around protein! Then pile on the veggies. You'd be surprised how filling veggies can be without adding a ton of calories.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    First of all, I used to work in an office with free unlimited snacks, and I understand how tough that can be. What I do is drink bunches and bunches of LaCroix sparkling water during the day. I think that there is something in the bubbles that fills me up :) I really don't eat any snacks during the day now. I save most of my calories for when I get home from work, and it helps me. When I feel somewhat hungry, I think "Okay, I could eat that bagel/chocolate/name your snack" that's in the break room right now, but that means I can't have (insert favorite item here) when I get home tonight."

That usually does it :)