Anybody else have problems being hungry enough to eat back w

Options
On my long ride days, I more than double my daily calorie goal. Seriously, I'm so not that hungry. How bad is it really to be 500, 700, 900 calories under your goal for the day? Anyone? Anyone?

Replies

• kaitedid
    kaitedid Posts: 33
    Options
    I have no idea, I have seen on here and other places to eat your exercise calories...I have a really hard time doing it, sometimes it's a heck of a lot of calories! I have found though, I love protein bars, and if I am going to work out more on one day, I will eat one of those for a snack, rather than my normal snack stuff (fruit, hummus...blah, blah, blah...)

Good Luck!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating the minimum healthy amount (1200 for gals, 1500 for guys) at the very LEAST. If that is not possible, you should back off your workouts some so you are getting those essential calories. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing... even where exercise is concerned. I hope you get it all figured out.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie burn measurement pretty accurate? I seem to have the opposite problem - on my high burn days I have insatiable hunger and often go over.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's so confusing! Some say eat them others day don't... If I am hungry I eat some, if not I don't... I don't get it... why would I eat back the calories I just burnt off? Isn't the point to keep them off?
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    as long as you net 1200 your good.
  • thenewkarisa
    thenewkarisa Posts: 207
    Options
    It's so confusing! Some say eat them others day don't... If I am hungry I eat some, if not I don't... I don't get it... why would I eat back the calories I just burnt off? Isn't the point to keep them off?

I keep wondering that too LOL
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I don't think its really going to matter if you're talking about 1 day a week when you do extra exercise. If you're having rest days, you'll probably go a bit over your calorie goal on those days, so it'll probably balance out a bit.

You aren't going to have your metabolism crash through the floor, or suddenly canabolise huge amounts of LBM in one day.

[edit: I'll defer to anyone that knows of actual research on this question though. And if you aren't trying to loose weight, then you should work out some calorie dense foods to eat on those days, because if your maintaining, or trying to gain you'll definitely not want those big deficits]
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've had days where I've been super hungry or days where I hardly eat much. Those days where I don't eat much I probably net around 900-1100 calories and I've been just fine. I don't recommend doing it all the time, however I don't sit a force myself to eat because I have to get to that goal. I listen to my body because some days I eat more than others. :smile:
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    You need to be eating the minimum healthy amount (1200 for gals, 1500 for guys) at the very LEAST. If that is not possible, you should back off your workouts some so you are getting those essential calories. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing... even where exercise is concerned. I hope you get it all figured out.

Well my bike rides are as much recreational as it is a workout. So I don't really want to back off my riding. When I have time to ride, I love to ride.
    Is your calorie burn measurement pretty accurate? I seem to have the opposite problem - on my high burn days I have insatiable hunger and often go over.

I go by what the CardioTrainer app calculates during my ride. And it usually calculates less than what MFP estimates when I enter the exercise in.

I keep wondering that too LOL

Well my daily goal is already set low enough for weight loss, so yeah, I do want to eat back what I burn in general. I do eat when I'm hungry. But 1900 calories over my normal goal is a bit much and usually more than what I'm hungry for.
    I don't think its really going to matter if you're talking about 1 day a week when you do extra exercise. If you're having rest days, you'll probably go a bit over your calorie goal on those days, so it'll probably balance out a bit.

You aren't going to have your metabolism crash through the floor, or suddenly canabolise huge amounts of LBM in one day.

[edit: I'll defer to anyone that knows of actual research on this question though. And if you aren't trying to loose weight, then you should work out some calorie dense foods to eat on those days, because if your maintaining, or trying to gain you'll definitely not want those big deficits]

I was told once that every day is a brand new day, so I shouldn't be adjusting my daily goals based on what I did on a previous day. So basically, going to sleep at night is the big reset button. Your thoughts?
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with your rest button thoughts. Why would I eat less tomorrow because I ate a lot today?

No, not saying that I might eat a little better tomorrow if I ate more crap today.. but that is only to make me feel better... hahaha

Some days MFP wants me to eat over 2000 calories... so I do what I can, but sometimes I am 200 under. I think you just need to do what you can and find what works for you. :)
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    I am having problems with not eating all the calories back too, though that may be different once the weather cools down. When it gets hot I hate eating and only want to drink tea. Maybe this winter I'll be able to eat more. I'll probably constantly eat over, ha ha.