medical question

Options
I went to Boot Camp, then Zumba right before I had a routine blood test done (it was for my recent yearly physical). My doctor called me later to say that my white blood cell count was 11 and wanted to be sure I wasn't feeling ill. I explained that I had increased my exercise from Zumba 3x per week by adding Boot camp 2x as well. My arms and legs are very soar from the Boot Camp exercises.

The other stupid thing I did before the test was scarf down 1/2 a turkey artichoke from Panera Bread on my way there so my blood sugar was 154 (I obviously forgot I was supposed to fast for 12 hours before).
The only tests my dr. ordered to do over was the blood sugar and the lipids so I could fast for 12 hours. However, she didn't order another white blood cell count. She did ask me if I was on a diet and I said no, just an increase in exercise.
Has anyone had any experience with this?

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should ask your doc to do all the tests again - at a time when you'll remember to fast and not kill yourself with exercise just beforehand. It will be good to know that everything is okay.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I haven't and I hope everything works out and goes well for you...

but I just wanted to say GO RAVENS!! PURPLE AND BLACK! PURPLE AND BLACK!! :p
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    increased wbc count can be attributed to inflammatory response. (in your case sore muscles). Or it could be something as simple as you contracted a virus and fought it off without feeling the effects, but had a small spike in wbc count. Either way, the count isn't high enough to write home about. I've seen many surgical pts with no infection or virus spike as high as 23 for a day or so after surgery just from the inflammatory response.
  • Susanlee178
    Options
    Well, normal is 7-10 so 11 on a white count isn't really considered elevated. It's possible that your white count is always at 11, mine is.

I'm a doctor, for the record, and I'd never question an 11 on a WBC panel.

Your sugar is pretty normal for someone who just ate and exercised. You shouldn't fret about it.
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't know. For me, it would depend on how much it would cost to redo the CBC...
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Turkey artichoke bread? That sounds amazing. I didn't get past that part.