Garmin vivoactive Hr GPS smart watch

Options
Hey everyone!

I'm considering swapping my trusty polar loop for one of the garmins as I'm finding the loop loses my Hr quite a bit and the sensor also pinches a fair amount. The thing I'm worried about though is durability. I'm an equestrian and my loop is very hardy, putting up with being chewed by my horse and generally banged about. Will this garmin cope? I know you can get a screen protector, which is fine, but is it enough?

Thoughts please Oh wise forum peeps!

Thank you!

Replies

• bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have the vivoactive HR. I've been wearing it pretty much all the time since I bought it about 2months ago. It has held up pretty well. No real scratches or scuffs yet.

The wrist based HR monitor seems to work pretty well.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    That's fab! Thank you! My horse has a thing for watches and is always chewing on my loop! I don't fancy him doing that to a posh touch screen! Lol!
  • Emzy1079
    Emzy1079 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yep I have one and I love it. 100% better than my old Fitbit charge hr
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    That's fab! Thank you! My horse has a thing for watches and is always chewing on my loop! I don't fancy him doing that to a posh touch screen! Lol!

The nice part about the watch is that you can get replacement bands for it if you want.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    I'm most worried about him damaging the touch screen to be honest but being able to replace the bands will also be pretty useful down the road I'm thinking!
    I'm thinking of the vivosmart Hr+ as it has most of the same features, all the ones I know I will use, but a small screen to break.
  • Aquariusly94
    Aquariusly94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    so much better than my Fitbit
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm most worried about him damaging the touch screen to be honest but being able to replace the bands will also be pretty useful down the road I'm thinking!
    I'm thinking of the vivosmart Hr+ as it has most of the same features, all the ones I know I will use,
    but a small screen to break.

I work in the Automotive Industry, Weight lift, Cycle, Run, run around & wrestle with my nephews and nieces and I've not put but one, maybe two little scratches on mine in about a year. The screen is really tough for being plastic.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm considering swapping my trusty polar loop for one of the garmins as I'm finding the loop loses my Hr quite a bit and the sensor also pinches a fair amount. The thing I'm worried about though is durability. I'm an equestrian and my loop is very hardy, putting up with being chewed by my horse and generally banged about. Will this garmin cope? I know you can get a screen protector, which is fine, but is it enough?

The screen is plastic. If you wanted to be sure then a sapphire crystal would be a better choice, virtually scratchproof. The Fenix 3 HRis a multisport watch with built in HR and a sapphire crystal. But it is very expensive and at 51mm diameter may be a big for you.
    Suunto are bringing out a similar sapphire multisport watch in July, called the suunto spartan which will also be super rugged.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    [quote="SwindonJogger;368047

The screen is plastic. If you wanted to be sure then a sapphire crystal would be a better choice, virtually scratchproof. The Fenix 3 HRis a multisport watch with built in HR and a sapphire crystal. But it is very expensive and at 51mm diameter may be a big for you.
    Suunto are bringing out a similar sapphire multisport watch in July, called the suunto spartan which will also be super rugged.[/quote]

Thanks for this. Budget is a major thing for me though. I want the best I can get for the money that I have and as I have a 35% discount on the garmin it was definitely one of those I was looking at. I will have a look at these though for sure! Thank you for the advice!