Under daily calorie goal--good or bad?

Options
I've been under my daily calorie goal for the past couple of days by about 200-350 calories. Is this bad? Should I be eating more? Thanks!!

Replies

• heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    You at least need to eat 1200 cal a day for healthy living. If you find your self under or you know you are going to be, try adding fresh vegetables & fruit -nuts .Good Luck to you.:smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,991 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I can't see your food and exercise diary so I don't know if you're under 1200 calories or just under your 1200 plus exercise calories. It also makes a difference if you are eating at least 1200 calories of nutrition dense food to nourish your body. Fueling your body with healthy food is very important.:bigsmile:
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    is it workout calories?
    Most people need to eat at least half their calories back ( more protien better) after your workouts.
    If its not counting workouts then you need to eat at least your min. or your going to starve yourself because the min. is a few hundred calories lower than what you will consume in a day anyways, just sitting around. So yes if your not actively working out you need to eat more.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    It depends on you... if you don't eat at least 1200 calories you aren't getting the macronutrients your body needs to function properly. Of course that 1200 is not a magic number, it's just an average so if you are noticing your feeling anemic or tired a lot, try eating a bit more nutrient rich foods. If you are working out for 200-350 calories then no, it's not terrible (people may disagree with this, but calories are not macronutrients, you can get the nutrients you need without eating all your exercise calories back). It can also be bad if you are still hungry. If you are still hungry but you don't want to eat more then you are more likely to binge on food when you finally break. You should not be hungry everyday.

That's pretty basic since I can't get into your food diary and offer a more personalized opinion but I hope something makes sense for you :)
  • starzluv94
    starzluv94 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is to keep healthy snacks around. As the day goes by, just to keep my metabolism up, I will have a granola bar or something. Helps stave off hunger too so you are less likely to binge later.
  • theblondegal
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The feedback really helps! I'm under my daily calorie goal today by about 500 calories but I worked out today and burned over 600 so that's probably why I'm in a deficit. If it's just workout calories, I think I'm okay. I just wanna make sure I'm not starving by body. Gotta feed it properly to fuel my workouts! :) Thanks again, everybody!
  • jenniferd9
    Options
    It is important to take care about how much calories you take in your daily diet.
    It will help you maintain your weight and stay healthy.
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Those "starve yourself for a week" diets are very effective, but unless you intend to starve yourself forever, they're not efficient. Regaining balance after you have slipped into starvation mode is very difficult. It's hard to see those pounds that you starved to get rid of come back, and bring their friends with them, as you're in an effort to be healthy rather than just thin.