Foods you never expected you would love

Options
Colt1835
Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
So my taste buds have changed a lot since I've been thinking about what I put into my body.

The two most recent things I've discovered that I like are plain oatmeal and cottage cheese. I like them so much I even tried eating them together and it's great. Then I put some strawberries on top and I was in heaven. The cottage cheese is a great sub for sour cream too.

What are some foods that you never expected you would love?

Replies

• coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and Dole tropical fruit, just drain before putting it with CC.
    Also, plain whole milk yogurt (Stonyfield is a good one), honey and Kretchmer toasted wheat germ. Use these as desserts, too, very filling and satisfying.
  • Colt1835
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Cottage cheese and Dole tropical fruit, just drain before putting it with CC.
    Also, plain whole milk yogurt (Stonyfield is a good one), honey and Kretchmer toasted wheat germ. Use these as desserts, too, very filling and satisfying.

I'll have to try that. I like plain yogurt with strawberries and granola too.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Gluten free waffles
    Friend can't do gluten, as in 15+ yrs of docs telling her not to.
    She cooked breakfast for the group one morning while we were on vacation.... Gluten free waffles rock!
    The wife and I now buy gluten free mix just for making waffles.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    Morgaath wrote: »
    Gluten free waffles
    She cooked breakfast for the group one morning while we were on vacation.... Gluten free waffles rock!

Oh that just gave me an idea... cottage cheese waffles.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Baked beans!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    possum
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mash with horseradish cheddar.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts roasted in olive oil and sausage!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Unsweetened black tea, black coffee, unsweetened porridge (I'm eating it with just a pat of butter now), brussel sprouts (but oven roasted, with butter, salt and pepper - not boiled!), celeriac (I used to have nightmares about them, but about the taste; I just recently discovered that it smells like champagne and looks like Cthulhu :o ), brown rice, cantaloupe (it tastes like caramel, so I can understand I was confused), sardines, tuna, kippers, caviar, whole milk, beets, raw onion, pickles (pickled cucumber), blue cheese, Pink Lady apples, mushrooms, sesame seeds, dates (dried), figs (fresh), mayo, boiled eggs, celery.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm another one for roasted brussels sprouts! I like to do mine with russet potatoes and a little sprinkle of cheese.
  • Colt1835
    Options
    Unsweetened black tea, black coffee, unsweetened porridge (I'm eating it with just a pat of butter now), brussel sprouts (but oven roasted, with butter, salt and pepper - not boiled!), celeriac (I used to have nightmares about them, but about the taste; I just recently discovered that it smells like champagne and looks like Cthulhu :o ), brown rice, cantaloupe (it tastes like caramel, so I can understand I was confused), sardines, tuna, kippers, caviar, whole milk, beets, raw onion, pickles (pickled cucumber), blue cheese, Pink Lady apples, mushrooms, sesame seeds, dates (dried), figs (fresh), mayo, boiled eggs, celery.

You had me at black coffee! I never thought I would like my coffee black. I recently had some iced coffee without adding cream or sugar and I was shocked by how much I liked it.

If y'all keep talking about roasted brussels sprouts, I'm gonna have to break down and try some.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OODone wrote: »

You had me at black coffee! I never thought I would like my coffee black. I recently had some iced coffee without adding cream or sugar and I was shocked by how much I liked it.

If y'all keep talking about roasted brussels sprouts, I'm gonna have to break down and try some.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may have to break down and try roasted brussel sprouts. I know there is no way I could eat them boiled. My dad used to eat them boiled, and the smell and texture was enough to put me off for life. I finally did try them raw, and they were too bitter for me. But I have seen them mentioned so often on MFP, I may try them roasted.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Lots of things - it's not related to trying to eat better, though, I just have a much broader diet than I did when I was younger. More money and time to experiment :smiley:

Most recently, I'm finding that I'm really enjoying mushrooms. I used to hate all of them except raw button mushrooms. Eventually, I discovered I liked some of the more unusual varieties cooked, and now I'm starting to want mushroom soup, sauteed baby bellas, etc. I still don't like canned mushrooms, but there aren't many canned veg I'll tolerate.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Carrots

I hated carrots as a kid. I had no idea it would grow to become one of my favorite veggies.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sprouted flaxseed toast (only 50cal a slice and tastes good) with peanut butter and sliced picked or sliced pickled zucchini
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I hated mushrooms and tomatoes growing up.

The tomatoes were cured by going to Romania where they have hot summers and amazing tomatoes (I'm still not a fan of underripe, sad, pink-middled ones) and the mushrooms by my friend who fried them with honey. One bite and I was converted.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Gluten free waffles

@OODone
    You might like cottage cheese fritters too - great for breakfast with a poached egg on top. Or for lunch with a salad. Or a snack :)

To actually answer your question - I eat much more seafood than I ever used to. I don't know if I can say I love it on it's own, but things like this seafood soup are seriously delicious!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Gluten free waffles

If you search the recipe section, I posted a pancake recipe that uses pats and cottage cheese. I think I called it oat/protein pancakes.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have found I just like more stuff plain. I can eat a plain baked potato/sweet potato, plain pancakes, plain yogurt. The butter or syrup didn't thrill me enough to use up the calories. Even plain toast if the bread is really high quality.