Eating by hunger

Options
I'd eventually like to be able to listen to my body for hunger ques, and I've been trying to practice that as I've lost. Now that I'm nearing goal and slowly increasing my calories, I'm trying to be more aware of my natural hunger ques. Thing is: I get full half way through my meal. I'm scared that if I eat less than what I have pre-logged, I won't be eating enough and wont be properly fueling my exercise (marathon training).

Does anyone else feel this way? What do you do when this happens?

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I don't pre-log or if I do and don't eat it all I adjust. Your body will tell you if you are not eating enough.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Marathon training brings about a different set of rules entirely..
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After eating to improve my physical health for nearly two years now I just eat when I get hungry and eat until I am full to maintain. Back when I had cravings I needed to count because my body senses did not work correctly.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    While I can recognize hunger, I find that once I start eating, I have difficulty recognizing when I'm "full". So I'll sometimes wait until I'm hungry (lunch in particular), but I'm not very good a recognizing when I'm full so I have to stick to what packed and measured in the morning.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    While I can recognize hunger, I find that once I start eating, I have difficulty recognizing when I'm "full". So I'll sometimes wait until I'm hungry (lunch in particular), but I'm not very good a recognizing when I'm full so I have to stick to what packed and measured in the morning.

Eat slower. Many overeating because they out pace their body's ability to register full. When in doubt drink water to make sure you're not hungry but thirsty.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

The actual training plan doesn't start for another 2 weeks, right now I'm maintaining a base of 30ish miles a week while increasing strength. But having issues with lack of hunger now, makes me worry about 6 weeks from now when I'm running 40+ miles per week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    This happens me too, I get full quickly. If I am having difficulty eating full meal, I make sure I eat all the protein on my plate, the veg and leave the carbs.

You'll know yourself if you are fuelling your body enough - your workouts would suffer. I can't run with the same vigour if I haven't had enough protein.

I haven't logged any meals in around 6 months and I've maintained easily.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Appetite, hunger, satiety are volatile entities. But I have tracked/logged for so long that I know how large appropriate portions of various foods are. I serve myself that, and eat it. I have mainained healthy weight for 20 months doing so.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    thanks @RunRutheeRun, I feel like this isn't a common enough issue for people to have an opinion on. I'll try prioritizing the protein intake. I feel guilty if I feel like eating less than my calorie goal, and feel like I have to force myself to eat more, which I think is just as unhealthy as overly restricting. Trying to find that balance of listening to my body but reaching the goals that MFP says I need to be healthy is hard.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

The actual training plan doesn't start for another 2 weeks, right now I'm maintaining a base of 30ish miles a week while increasing strength. But having issues with lack of hunger now, makes me worry about 6 weeks from now when I'm running 40+ miles per week.

You're overthinking this. You can eat generally how you feel and if you've been counting calories for a while you should know what has how many calories. Just weigh yourself each morning. If you're drifting too far off target then log your calories more closely. If not then keep doing it based on how you feel.

I log my calories maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Most of those days I just log breakfast and lunch. You don't need to keep track unless you're doing something way out of norm. You won't lose or gain 5 lbs. in a single night.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'll be honest, I have never been able to trust my hunger cues and it hasn't improved in the year I was losing weight and now the year I've maintained. What HAS changed is I know what a portion looks like, and if I get peckish toward the end of the day, I know I have already eaten plenty and I'm not really hungry. I still log, but I find what I thought was a portion weighs out to what it should. But I still am tempted by the family style bowl on the table, I still get emotional or boredom hunger, i just know better now! As _waffle_ said, weighing yourself regularly is the way to be sure you are eating the correct amount. Good luck with the marathon training!
  • sunshira
    sunshira Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ive been on maintenance for 8 months. I notice I'm not tracking every day but my weight is staying the same. I'm scared to stop tracking as i don't want to gain the weight back butbi also feel like daily tracking isn't necessary. .any thoughts
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    sunshira wrote: »
    Ive been on maintenance for 8 months. I notice I'm not tracking every day but my weight is staying the same. I'm scared to stop tracking as i don't want to gain the weight back butbi also feel like daily tracking isn't necessary. .any thoughts

Well if your not tracking most days now yet you're maintaining you are doing really well :smile:

I stopped logging completely 6 months ago and have actually ended up dropping a few pounds which I didn't mind at all. I definitely practise mindful eating these days and think of food more as fuel. I've been maintaining for 3 years so I'm glad to see I've actually 'got it ' and don't actually need to rely on tracking calories any more. (Although I roughly know how much I'm consuming each day)
  • sunshira
    sunshira Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the validation Ruthee that we can learn to eat differently and not track forever. I lost my weight with WW and I am grateful for WW, but now on maintenance I am really trying to find my way to maintain. I have lost and gained and before but this time feels different. I am weighing myself regularly as I think that's where I went wrong before. I am trying the MFP as it feels like it has more of a focus on maintenance. Thanks.