Dealing with Eating Out

Options
How do you guys deal with eating out at non-chain restaurants / those without nutritional information available? I have some local favorites, but it always bothers me that I just don't quite know how bad their food is for me. How do you guys deal with that inner conflict, or do you just not worry about it?

Replies

• blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just make sure not to go to those places. Or as stated above I make a rough estimate.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Not being snarky, but: priorities. Knowing the quality and quantity of my food is more important to me than eating out, so I almost *never* eat away from home.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Estimate as best as you can.
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate the best I can, always adding extra calories... you never know how much oil they add to everything. But I make my visits to such places very occasional.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you want to log something, use info from a chain shop (I use Pizza Hut for local pizzerias) or break down what you're eating into the individual items (most restaurants make fries with potatoes and oil, so I log a potato and oil). You can get what you want, but only eat half and take the rest home or share with someone.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I try to estimate the calories but also chose low calorie foods like fish and veggies or salad with low calorie dressing. I grew up with the idea that going out to restaurants only happens on special occasions like birthday etc. and never a regular thing. So not to much to estimate.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I eat out at least once a week, but I don't go to chain restaurants. The local, family owned places are the best and the most authentic. I prefer quality over quantity, so I just choose things I like but lower in calories and have smaller portions.

Weighing and measuring food is important but I also like to make sure I'm learning from it and can estimate and eyeball portions when away from home.
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat out, but when I do I avoid sauces/dressing. I eat as fresh as possible, and I over estimate calories.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I eat out several times a week- I love it! I just do my best to make reasonable choices, exercise portion control, and err on the side of overestimating calories. If I must have something that's higher in calories (pizza!) I stop after 2 slices. I used to avoid eating out because I was worried it would impede my progress; nothing could be further from the truth. I think because I know I can eat out when I want, it also keeps me from overindulging- food just isn't that big a deal when nothing is off-limits. Why did it take me so long to figure this out?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    this is probably a non agreed upon way, but when we go out its a free for all for me. I still make good choices sometimes but if we are spending money to go out to eat im gonna drink and im NOT gonna eat a salad or a piece of chicken breast. Its special for us so i eat whatever and the next day is a new day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to learn to handle these situations if you plan to maintain your weight loss into the future. Eating at restaurants is simply a part of most people's lives and the local ones are usually the best ones. Just do the best you can. There are a lot of good tips here for dealing with it. I'll give a couple more:

Most restaurants have huge portions. My mother, who is about 5'1" and 105 pounds, asks for a small box when she orders her food and puts half in the box before she starts eating. She then has lunch or dinner for the next day.

You can always try to order the lightest meal but, really, what's the fun in that, especially if you do this every time you eat out.

Calories don't reset at midnight and I tend to think of mine as a weekly allowance. If I know I'm going to be eating out on Friday night, because I usually do, I'll eat a little less on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday day and Saturday to compensate. I might not eat back my exercise calories or simply try to save 100-200 calories those days, whatever.
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Eating out is my downfall. My brother in law is a chef and I remember complementing him on a dish that tasted really healthy and yummy and he was like "yeah that's because there's more than a half a sick of butter in that." I had only accounted for one tablespoon!
    My first urge is to resist eating out when I'm trying to lose weight but that's really not sustainable longterm. It's more important to get used to eating smaller portions and taking the rest home. It's also helped me to plan towards eating out so I'll eat 100 calories less every day leading up to a night out so then it balances out a bit.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If the food is bad, I don't go back!

But when I eat out, I take my best guess. I don't have any conflict over not knowing the exact calorie count - because everything we log is an estimate anyway, even at home, even when you weight everything. Still an estimate!

And even if the restaurant posts their calories (which doesn't happen often where I live, not for actual restaurants, only chains like KFC or McDonalds), you can't assume they are exact either, as there will always be slight variations on the day due to different product, more or less butter, oil, cheese, salt etc.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of restaurant meals. Sometimes I try to find something similar and then I may quick-add 100 or 200 or 300 calories, and sometimes I just quick-add 1,200 calories (for a full meal with a glass of wine) and call it a day. After logging for a while, I'm a good guesser. If there are a lot of entries for something, I pick one on the higher end. And if I know I'm going out for dinner, I tread lightly during the day, but sometimes it's spur of the moment. @tracymayyoung is correct: It probably has more fat than you think it does. It also probably is saltier than what you would make at home.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jstnwill wrote: »
    How do you guys deal with eating out at non-chain restaurants / those without nutritional information available? I have some local favorites, but it always bothers me that I just don't quite know how bad their food is for me. How do you guys deal with that inner conflict, or do you just not worry about it?

Why would restaurant food be bad for you? It's just food...

I think people who view normal life situations such as eating in nice restaurants, holidays, special events, birthday parties, etc as so overwhelming that they either agonize over them or avoid them, have the hardest time being successful long term. These events will happen forever, avoiding them is not an option nor is it necessary. Go to the restaurant. Enjoy your meal. Log it to the best of your ability using other entries in the database that look reasonable.

I lost 30 lbs and am successfully maintaining that loss. I love going out to eat and while my kids prohibit us from going to the restaurants I'd like as often as I'd like we eat at neighborhood Italian places, Mexican dives, local pizza places, etc in addition to chains with available calorie counts. Hasn't hindered my progress...
  • Notaphase
    Notaphase Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, make sure to acknowledge the healthy changes you're already making when you go out to a restaurant. It's easy to get hard on myself for going over my calorie goal when I go out but then I think of what I would have eaten if I weren't on MFP. (probably another 1000 calories in bread and wine alone) Those are the changes that will lead to long-term success.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Eat what you think is correct and just move on with your life. You cant be perfect on everything and sometimes you just need to enjoy yourself.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's an odd mind-set believing food is bad for you just because you can't know what is just an estimated calorie count. Even if it's high calorie that's not the same as bad!

Make your own estimate based on experience or just enjoy the meal and the social event. Does one meal make enough of a difference to worry about?