How long does toning take?

Options
I'm not exactly sure what to call this, but I'm 110lbs (19-year-old female who's 5'3) and I still have a little bit of 'flab' on my arms. People on here have told me that I probably shouldn't be losing any more weight, so I've been maintaining lately instead.

I've also began to add strength training for my arms. I've been doing this for about a week and a half so far, every other day. What I do for my arms is a total arm workout video that's about 15 minutes. I definitely can feel it in my arms during the workouts.

How long does 'toning' take? Considering my weight, will it be faster? I just tend to get obsessive when I don't see results, but if I know that tightening up my arms will take a decent amount of time, I'll at least be able to relax knowing I just need to be patient.

Any other tips? Is eating at maintenance okay for this?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Exercise is a life long endeavor. Keep going!!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Exercise is a life long endeavor.

This.
  • violetpurdy
    violetpurdy Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I'm well aware of that. I've been a runner for five years, and I plan to continue running for as long as I can. I've never focused on building muscle definition, though, and I was curious about how long it takes for strength exercise results to begin showing.
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to work all your muscles, because you burn more calories & fat using your bigger muscles. The fat that's bothering you will take a long time going just from arm workouts because it's a small muscle. If you want to tone up your arms target tricep exercises
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I'm well aware of that. I've been a runner for five years, and I plan to continue running for as long as I can. I've never focused on building muscle definition, though, and I was curious about how long it takes for strength exercise results to begin showing.

It's really impossible to say because when you do that work, your body is changing slowly, but constantly. I have a friend that I see about once per year and every single year he tells me I look more fit than I did the previous year...it's just a slow constant change. I've been going at this going on four years.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You should ditch the video (I'm assuming it's a low weight high rep aerobics type thing - I might be wrong, of course) and buy a couple of dumbbells and start lifting heavier weight, lower volume. I started with 10s and 15s, which aren't as heavy as you might think. I still have those at home and use them to get in a quick workout when I can't get to the gym. Exrx.net is a really good resource for putting together a balanced strength routine for people new to lifting. I think eating at maintenance is just fine since you're a beginner and will probably have newbie gains.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Again, if you're new to lifting and you're already fairly slim, you'll probably see results pretty quickly. Everyone's body is different, and it depends on your routine and your diet, but if you hit your upper body really hard and stick to your diet, you'll probably see a difference in two weeks
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ditch the video and get on a progressive lifting plan.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'd do a full body programme, not just arm focused, mostly because it will benefit your running too to target everything.

Body weight, weighted or lifting heavy will all give results just at different speeds but as others have said, you're pretty lean already so you'll see them a lot quicker than still overweight me!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Ditch the video and get on a progressive lifting plan.

Yep! I saw awesome results using Stronglifts 5X5 after about 8 weeks. You can check the program out at stronglifts.com, and download the app to track your progress at the gym. Love it!!!

I had (and still have) weight to lose, but you can definitely see progress.

wj3r7tzv0d7r.jpg

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Ditch the 3 pound weights and start doing a proper progressive weightlifting program. you will see better and faster results in a lot less time than the baby weights and million reps will give you