Running in the heat -- tips?

2»

Replies

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Not OP but thank you all for your advice.

I didn't understand why my heart rate was always ridiculously high during a late-afternoon run, even while walking.

I've been weirdly worried that my runs don't count since I spend the last mile or so mostly walking... good to see that walk breaks are recommended! :>

Na, that's not even a thing to worry about. You're still improving your cardio endurance. It sucks that you don't get the same feeling of running faster in cool weather but you're still getting nearly all the benefits.

I make promises to myself in the summer. "Make it to that bridge and you can walk till your HR drops below 140" or I'll do something like leave ice water in the car so I'll hit it after a few miles and get a short break.

Funnily enough, I did Zombies5K when the weather was still decent outside (January to late April). I completed the program a few weeks ago and was like "wtf, I managed to run 5K with no issues a few weeks ago, and now I'm struggling after 2 miles...?" Part of it might be a mental thing, I admit. But the other day was a run that turned into a walk because of several swarms of gnats :sweat:
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    jaxCarrie wrote: »
    I live in Florida and (for me) it takes about 2-3 weeks to get used to running thru puddles (i.e. the air). I'm an AM runner though but my husband runs at night (after work). If the sun's out....some sort of hat (white instead of black). Go slower (someone else said it...run by feel, not by watch)....you'll be faster come fall!! Don't get discouraged. Summer is tough!!

If you are a heavy sweat'er, refuel with some gatorade in your bottle (mix with your water). If you are going out for more than 2-3 miles, take this concoction with you...it will help. If you do circles, you can always add an bandana soaked in ice water around your neck. That helps get your core temp down (more of a long run thing?). If you are going out for longer runs (like + 1 hour) I'd say salt pills, but it doesn't seem like you are going this far...and it's not for everyone.

Thanks! I'm hoping I'll be Super Runner come fall! Right now I'm only shooting for 2-3 miles, but I'm hoping to progress into a long run on the weekends (when I AM able to run early). I might try the bandana trick, though. I've heard of others doing that, but I've never tried it myself. I felt like my hydration was okay yesterday, but my core temp was just way too high. I always thought any extra fabric on me would just be too much, but I can see now that it would probably be useful.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    It's reached the part of the year, here, where the temp never gets below 75°F and afternoon highs are over 100° and even above 110°. Morning runs are a must because even after the sun goes down it's still 90-100°.

It's dry enough here that running with a wet shirt or a wet cooling cloth around my neck helps a lot. I've found even during the rainy season that helps because the wind you create while running gets cooled by the wet cloth, so don't knock it in more humid locations. Hot and dry is really uncomfortable, too, when your sweat is gone the instant it leaves your body!

The frozen water bottle trick works well, too, as long as your runs aren't too long and the ice melts. My hands get hot when it's over 70° and dry and I'm running more than a couple of miles so the water bottle keeps them feeling nice and it's good to roll on your neck, too.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    This is all great advice. Definitely run by how you feel. Sometimes a 1 mile run will feel like a 5k depending on how hot it is.
    Also, I too run with a camelbak or with a belt with frozen water bottles. It helps with hydration and placing the cold bottle on my neck from time to time.
    Lastly, give it a few weeks and you will begin to be able to tolerate the higher temps. But always, always, always run by how you feel and walk whenever you have to for how long you need to.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Is it an option to get up super early and run before work? That's the the only time I run in the summer, it's just way too hot in the afternoons, I think I would get heat stroke in my part of the world.

If not, then I think you'll just have to slow down, try to find a shady route, drink lots, and maybe look into something to help keep your electrolytes in balance - so a sports drink or something you can add to water to give you the salt/sugar etc.
    And don't stop drinking when you get home, again pay attention to how you feel, you need to balance your electrolytes so you might need more than just water. I find that I often feel crummy late in the day after I've done a long hot run, which probably means I'm either stil dehydrated or just out of balance.

It's probably also worth reading up on the signs of heat stress too - you want to stop before you put yourself at risk. Some of them are pretty obvious but you also need to be aware of mood and behaviour. My DH works in a region where they get "critical heat" (over 50C) in the summer and they are all told to look out for someone who is irrationally angry or confused or behaving strangely. So, if you just aren't feeling right or are irrationally cranky, it may be a good sign that you need to have a walk break or a rest in the shade or maybe pull the pin for the day. Repeated loops that give you an easy option to stop early if needed might be the way to go too, rather than a longer out and back.

(Now I'm jealous, it was 3C when I went running earlier in the week, and drizzling with rain this morning. I hate running when it's dark/cold/wet!)
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    I got use to doing running by doing intervals last summer..I would run in the sun parts and walk in the shade parks of the path...lol now I can run around 5 miles without a break so I guess it helped ;)
    Stay hydrated is the most important thing for sure!
  • JKI19
    JKI19 Posts: 91 Member
    eep223 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm just getting back into running after a prolonged break. I live in the American South and "summer" has started to kick in here, with mega heat and humidity. I run after work (the only time I can fit it in), which is not ideal. I upped my mileage from 2-3 miles yesterday and the last mile truly did me in. I ended up walking most of the last portion and had a couple people ask me if I was okay afterwards. I run a loop with several drinking fountains along the way and try to stick to the shade. What else can I do? Please share your tips! Is it simply a matter of taking it slow and letting me body adjust to running/ the heat again?

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate..oh and shower after. Sweating is good for the body as it releases toxins, just watch out for those UV rays. Investing in some good sun screen/protective clothing goes a long way.
  • eep223
    I got use to doing running by doing intervals last summer..I would run in the sun parts and walk in the shade parks of the path...lol now I can run around 5 miles without a break so I guess it helped ;)
    Stay hydrated is the most important thing for sure!

That's a great idea! Maximize that time in the shade... Thanks, all.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    eep223 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm just getting back into running after a prolonged break. I live in the American South and "summer" has started to kick in here, with mega heat and humidity. I run after work (the only time I can fit it in), which is not ideal. I upped my mileage from 2-3 miles yesterday and the last mile truly did me in. I ended up walking most of the last portion and had a couple people ask me if I was okay afterwards. I run a loop with several drinking fountains along the way and try to stick to the shade. What else can I do? Please share your tips! Is it simply a matter of taking it slow and letting me body adjust to running/ the heat again?

I live in the south also
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Run slower or get a camel back full of ice water
  • eep223
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Is it an option to get up super early and run before work?

Not an option during the week, at the moment. I wish it was, this would be much easier! Thanks for the heat stress tips. Definitely something to bear in mind. You're making ME jealous now, pebble4321! I love a winter run! ;)

• RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    It sounds gimmicky, but I take a drop or two of peppermint essential oil (dietary version) and touch it around my forehead, temples, and on the back of my neck at the hairline. Rub it in and then go. It sounds useless, but it opens your pores and makes you feel so cold! It's extremely refreshing, and the mint makes you feel energized and awake. Maybe take it with you and put it on for the third mile? It usually lasts for a few hours, but your experience may vary.
  • meghanttu08
    meghanttu08 Posts: 158 Member
    I'm from Texas so I know about heat! Hydrate hydrate hydrate. I try to aim for half my body weight in oz of water a day. Day before a long run or a half, I drink Gatorade as well. Also, slow down pace. Summer running isn't about getting faster. It's about getting your body ready for the fall when you can practice speed work.