Giving up aspartame...

Options
2»

Replies

• emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    jayele72 wrote: »
    I used to be a huge diet soda drinker and ended up watching one too many Netflix documentaries about food so recently took aspartame out of my diet.

This is why I asked what's wrong with aspartame. OP says it is a trigger for her migraines, which is understandable, but when people say they want to give up diet sodas and artificial sweeteners, it's usually because of misinformation that comes from stupid netflix documentaries and health food blogs.

• girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I avoid aspartame but I still drink things with Stevia in them. Aspartame causes me to have migraines. I get them enough as it is, it's not worth it. Just be careful when you read drinks and make sure they're sweetened with stevia.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    For those saying Diet Pepsi doesn't use aspartame any more, be aware that it depends on region. This is the case for the US but from another thread on here many regions (including UK and Canada) still use aspartame.
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea in the morning. I think it will be a good replacement. Something about drinking green tea just feels right
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You can do it OP!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Ledford5 wrote: »
    Thank you for the good ideas. I will start with using stevia in my tea and play around with some half & half/ Stevia in coffee to see if I like it.
    I have terrible Migraine headaches and aspartame is a trigger for them so I would like to eliminate it from my diet.
    I get a ton of migraines too.
    I just switched from aspartame to saccharine (sweet n low) and stevia. I used to put 8 equals in a 14 oz cup of coffee. I've cut back to 2 sweet n low and 2 squirts of liquid stevia. It's not the "candy coffee" I used to drink but it's tolerable. Sometimes I add a bit of unsweetened cocoa to make it like a mocha drink and its very good.
  • Ledford5
    Ledford5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions. I appreciate all of the input. I have stevia, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, unsweetened cocoa and green tea now so I am good to go. I will keep checking to see if anyone has more suggestions. This chick is going 'aspartame free' starting tomorrow!! :smiley:
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Caffeinated teas.
    You could brew a caffeinated tea, and make iced tea w fruit in it... So good, add oranges or lemon.
    I prefer green tea.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Also caffeinated mint tea is delicious
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I drink yerba mate (tea) with a packet of stevia per 12oz. Its pretty good and keeps me awake and alert w/o jitters.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    What's wrong with aspartame?

I didn't read anywhere in the OP that said anything is wrong with aspartame. Do we have to turn this into an argument about artificial sweeteners? If someone chooses to give it up, let them give it up. She's looking for suggestions, not a diatribe on aspartame.

I must have missed the diatribe?
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    What's wrong with aspartame?

I didn't read anywhere in the OP that said anything is wrong with aspartame. Do we have to turn this into an argument about artificial sweeteners? If someone chooses to give it up, let them give it up. She's looking for suggestions, not a diatribe on aspartame.

I must have missed the diatribe?

I figured it was coming. I'm happy to see it never did