Running With Jogging Stroller!

Options
Anyone else bringing their baby/toddler on runs? How do you like it? What do you dislike about it? How far/long are you able to run for? What is your pace?

My son is 11 months old and I just got a jogging stroller ($20 at a rummage sale! woo!). It is great fun so far, we live in a quiet neighbourhood and the cars give me a nice wide berth, and people smile as we go by :) I am enjoying getting out of the house with him and getting some air, and can't wait until he can run with me and we can have an active lifestyle together!

But right now he can't last more than 20 mins before he starts getting antsy and wanting out (loudly). Even when he's sleepy or due for a nap, he doesn't sleep in the stroller, but maybe that will happen with time. I'm running at a 13 min/mi pace on average, my PR is 12 min/mi, and I started out at 15 min/mi (first time running since he was born!)

The biggest downside right now is when he chucks his toys out of the stroller! We lost a toy frog last week! lol :(

Any tips, too? What has worked to distract your baby if you go on longer runs/walks?

Replies

• acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have always run with my kids. I have 3 and only a single jogger, but fortunately now the older 2 are old enough to ride their bikes while I push the youngest. I don't bring toys with, but they have always seemed to do okay in the stroller. If not, I just engage them in conversation to distract them for a bit or get them to look at something around us, trees, cars, people we're passing, etc. I tend to only take them on shorter runs as well (3-5 mile range). I average 9-10 minute miles.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have never heard of a kid getting fussy in the running stroller after only 20 minutes. My boys LOVED rolling down the road and I thought it was fun to have them with me.
    Is it maybe that he doesn't see you when you are behind the canopy of the stroller? Do you check in with him visually every once in a while?
    I used to check in every time I stopped at a traffic light and/or intersection. And, while I was running I used to step around to the side of the stroller periodically -- guiding it with one hand -- so they could see me there.
    I certainly hope you get this worked out. Maybe it is just his age, and in a few months it will get better.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I attach toys to the stroller with ribbon or those plastic baby rings/shower curtain rings. Just make sure nothing can get caught in your tires.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old but he LOVES rides in the stroller. I run 8 miles in 1.5 hours (lots and lots and lots of huge hills) and he's completely content the entire time. but 1.5 hours seems to be his limit.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My 2 year old loves the jogging stroller. I take him for most of my runs. He also liked it when I was running consistently when he was 10-13 months old.

But he's the freak of a kid who will sit quietly in the car seat for cross country road trips. Mostly just watching the scenery and telling me about what he sees.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people out with jogging strollers on the weekend, and particularly in races - I'm slow so I'm usually overtaken by them! Most people seem to be packing drinks, snacks, toys (tied down!) etc as distractions.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,968 Member
    Options
    I had my granddaughter for a week, she loved going with me running, walking. Like the above posts, I would guide with one hand, she loves to hold hands while we run sometimes! We started doing this when she was about 9 months, :)
  • achoulat395
    achoulat395 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    do you have to use a stroller?
  • achoulat395
    achoulat395 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I mean jogging stroller?
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys! I have gotten longer stretches of patience out of him right before a nap instead of right after, and a handful of cheerios if he starts complaining. And today I ran for 30 mins, then walked for 30 mins, and he was content the whole time, then took a nice long nap when we got home! I know as it becomes more of his routine he'll get more enjoyment out of looking around, right now he's just learning to explore so hates being strapped in anywhere lol.

And I am only really free to run in the daytime so I have to take him in the stroller. Hubby would take him in the evenings if I asked, but I like to use our evenings for a walk as a family after dinner if we have time. I'd feel bad making them stay home so I can get a run in!