Exercise for weightloss

Options
So right now I'm strictly trying to lose weight. I'm okay with gaining some muscle but right now I'm focused on losing weight.
Should I stick with just lots of cardio or cardio and weights or ....

Love to hear some input!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes mostly from eating at an appropriate intake. Lifting weights will help your body lose mostly fat instead of a mix of fat and muscle. Cardio will improve your heart and lung health.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss (very important!). Cardio for heart health (and it can help with the deficit). Lifting to retain muscle mass (there may be a TINY gain when you start, but for the most part you don't gain in a deficit).
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you're strictly focused on losing weight then neither weights or cardio is necessary. Although, weights would be the better option in my opinion as adding muscle mass will increase the amount of calories that you burn. So, it would help you stay skinny once you get there.
  • DTrain351
    DTrain351 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My vote...Weights and cardio. Wanna loose body fat but not appear "skinny fat." Weight training to maintain/increase lean muscle mass. Cardiovascular to burn bodyfat.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    If you're strictly focused on losing weight then neither weights or cardio is necessary. Although, weights would be the better option in my opinion as adding muscle mass will increase the amount of calories that you burn. So, it would help you stay skinny once you get there.

Except you don't add significant amounts of muscle mass when in deficit.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is the one single factor which will help you lose weight.
    That being said, if you just focus on eating less, you can end up with saggy skin and perhaps lowered metabolism in the long run, along with other possible effects.
    Weights will help you retain muscle. Cardio will help your heart.
    Body exercises will help you get toned.
    You don't just want to be lighter, you wanna be toned and hot right? So combine exercise with healthy eating. Indulge once in a while, just make sure that at the end of the day, you are under your calorie goal.
    You can do this. Also, feel free to add me :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    being female you wont gain enough muscle mass to see a difference.if you lift while eating in a deficit and get enough protein you will prevent that muscle loss,as for needing cardio to burn body fat. all thats needed is a caloric deficit.any exercise helps with fat loss but you have to be in a deficit while doing it.muscle is built in a surplus.adding muscle mass takes women a lot longer to gain than it does for a man and in order for it to increase the amount of calories you burn you would have to have a decent amount. I think its like 6-7 calories per lb of lean muscle.not that much in reality.you will get stronger if you lift heavy and it will change how your body looks. Im a smaller size now compared to when I weighed 24lbs less than I do now.
  • druasmith
    druasmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do a bit of each. Cardio is good for you. Strength building is good for you. As long as you're watching your calories, none of it hurts.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    You'll lose more weight by adding weight lifting. Also you will keep more muscle mass. Which burns calories. Also do cardio. You need a well rounded routine for best results.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Calorie deficit for weight loss (very important!). Cardio for heart health (and it can help with the deficit). Lifting to retain muscle mass (there may be a TINY gain when you start, but for the most part you don't gain in a deficit).

This sums it up perfectly.