Hair loss

Options
How long will it take hair loss to stop after upping your calories and protein?

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to a doctor about this?
  • tuxmomoftoo
    tuxmomoftoo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Right before I started my weight loss journey in February, I had a complete blood workup and a visit with my cardiologist. All is well and right were it should be.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can be a sign that you're not getting proper nutrition. How many calories are you eating, what are your stats, and how are your macros?

This is why @CooCooPuff asked about your doctor. Right before you started isn't when the hair loss occurred.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You may want to schedule a visit with your GP and get some blood work done. In my experience after being put on a medication that killed my appetite I was losing my hair at a rapid rate (lost 30+ pounds in a month and my heaviest weight was 155). When I stopped the medication and was able to eat again it took about four months for me to notice some new growth to my hair. That was two years ago and it's still not as thick as it used to be. If you're not seeing any changes since Feb you need to see a doctor. There could be a multitude of reasons for hair loss, and since you have a cardiologist, it lets me know that you had or still have some health issues, and I wouldn't take any chances. I wish you the best!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor regarding your hair loss?
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Rogaine for women really helps (if you've ruled out all medical problems ) it took me three months to see new growth.
  • tuxmomoftoo
    Options
    I thought she was asking about my thyroid. That's why I mentioned the dr visit.
    When I started this the end of February, i was at 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise. I know that was a mistake now. Also, looking back at my macros, I was low on protein most of the time too. I have since upped my calories and made it a priority to hit my protein. I was just wondering how long it might take to stop falling out after making these changes. Maybe someone who has made the same mistakes and experienced hair loss could chime in.
  • tuxmomoftoo
    Options
    I have no cardiology issues. Long story short, I had a very eager cardiologist and a second opinion ruled out any issues. Furthermore, the reason I saw a cardiologist in the first place has resolved itself since I've lost weight and started exercising. I am not on any prescribed medication. I have lost 28 lbs since the end of February.
  • MarriedToTheBob
    MarriedToTheBob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A lot of shampoos can cause hair loss because of the harsh ingredients. If I were you I would switch to a more natural shampoo before seeing a dr. You'll notice a decrease In hair loss within a day or two. I use Palmer's shampoo and conditioner. It's so gentle and smells like like summer time. I've tried salon products too but they're honestly just as bad as Pantene, tresseme or garnier. You can find Palmer's in the ethnic hair care section.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I have no cardiology issues. Long story short, I had a very eager cardiologist and a second opinion ruled out any issues. Furthermore, the reason I saw a cardiologist in the first place has resolved itself since I've lost weight and started exercising. I am not on any prescribed medication. I have lost 28 lbs since the end of February.
    How much are you looking to lose? That's a little over 2lbs per week, which could be pretty excessive for someone with little to lose.

• tuxmomoftoo
    Options
    I started at 165 and am now 137. My goal is 110/115.
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options
    When I started this the end of February, i was at 1200 calories and not eating back my exercise. I know that was a mistake now. Also, looking back at my macros, I was low on protein most of the time too. I have since upped my calories and made it a priority to hit my protein. I was just wondering how long it might take to stop falling out after making these changes. Maybe someone who has made the same mistakes and experienced hair loss could chime in.

Perhaps reread my post - I lost a lot of weight too quickly not eating enough calories and not getting enough protein resulting I hair loss. I defined a timeline for when it stopped and began to regrow.

As your not seeing improvement you may want to explore the possibility that it could be something unrelated to weight loss.

Not certain what you're getting at with the thyroid comment as neither she nor you mentioned thyroid in previous posts. She only inquired if you saw a doctor about hair loss. after reading the amount of weight you have actually lost, I think you should see a doctor as its not an extreme amount of weight and the hair loss. At any rate it sounds like you would rather wait it out and take the advice of random strangers on the internet then get a definitive answer from a qualified medical professional. Good luck with that - I hope it works out for you.
  • tuxmomoftoo
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • tuxmomoftoo
    Options

Perhaps reread my post - I lost a lot of weight too quickly not eating enough calories and not getting enough protein resulting I hair loss. I defined a timeline for when it stopped and began to regrow.

As your not seeing improvement you may want to explore the possibility that it could be something unrelated to weight loss.

Not certain what you're getting at with the thyroid comment as neither she nor you mentioned thyroid in previous posts. She only inquired if you saw a doctor about hair loss. after reading the amount of weight you have actually lost, I think you should see a doctor as its not an extreme amount of weight and the hair loss. At any rate it sounds like you would rather wait it out and take the advice of random strangers on the internet then get a definitive answer from a qualified medical professional. Good luck with that - I hope it works out for you.

Perhaps my posts are not in response to you and only you. Thank you for your input. Have a nice day!
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi Tuxmom, sorry to hear of your troubles but maybe I can help. The following is from a world renowned trichologist that I have learned a lot from, you can Google a very well known UK hair expert and check their site, I'm not affiliated in any way and their advice helped me and my hair very much.

Firstly in some cases, hair loss can show itself about 3 months after the event that triggers it such as dieting, childbirth, shock etc. Check with your doctor about having a ferritin test done if you haven't already done so, a basic iron test isn't that useful for hair loss as it's ferritin stores that are needed for good hair growth. If you weren't eating a lot of protein then it's possible you could have become ferritin deficient, it's worth checking, assuming your thyroid results etc were ok.

Eat your carbs as they are important and make sure you have about 2- 4 ounces of protein for both breakfast and lunch, iron rich where possible. Eggs, cottage cheese, lean meats, pulses and so on. Eat plenty of iron rich veggies too.

Basic hair care, shampoo daily if possible as a clean scalp is the best environment for hair regrowth, if the scalp stays oily then it can hinder new growth, if daily isn't possible then every other day shampooing.

Don't expect this to be a quick process, patience is key, hair grows back rather unevenly like a lawn, you'll notice some new hairs coming up and the shedding might take a while to slow but once the balance tips back towards regrowth, you are winning. Allow a few months before you see or feel much progress and depending on how much hair you've lost, it could take a couple of years or so before your hair is back to what it was, but you will get there.

I feel for you because it's awful and I've been there but now my hair is thick and long and I'm delighted with it, you'll get there too.

So to answer your original question, time it takes for hair loss to stop varies but once you have everything set up to get your hair back on track, things should settle in a few weeks or months but it could take a couple of years till your hair is back to normal depending on how long it is. The good thing is that your low protein and calories could well be the cause of the hair loss if your bloodwork is fine so with good nutrition and time, things should settle.
  • tuxmomoftoo
    Options
    Thank you FabianMommy!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Did you recently give birth or finish breastfeeding? Those things are common causes of hair loss. Like FabianMommy says, the hair loss can happen some months after the triggering event. If your hair does not stop falling so much, go back to the doctor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Right before I started my weight loss journey in February, I had a complete blood workup and a visit with my cardiologist. All is well and right were it should be.

Did this include testing your ferritin levels? When my anemia is untreated I have a lot of hair loss. You mentioned that you were low on protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I started at 165 and am now 137. My goal is 110/115.

What's your weekly weight loss goal now? With 20 ish pounds to lose, a half pound per week would be a good goal.
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options

Perhaps my posts are not in response to you and only you. Thank you for your input. Have a nice day!

Sorry if I misinterpreted who your response was intended for, I assumed it was everyone who had responded this far, including me. My tone was intentionally sarcastic not to be offensive, but in an attempt to get you to reconsider just taking the advice of Internet people. It was coming from a place of concern, as it sounds like you may have had some recent health issues or scares, and sometimes hair loss can be a symptom of a much larger issue, and I wanted you to get your doctor's opinion on the matter ;) I do hope the problem resolves in the near future. I wish you the best!