Has this ever happened to you?

Options
HELP
I am new....my first week (altho i am NOT new to weight loss)....but this time it is IT.

I first weighed in at 207. my goal is to lose 32 pounds = 175.

I am following a south beach style eating plan.

all week i have lost-- and i weighed myself all week just to make sure it isnt a fluke.

yesterday morning i was down to 200.6. yesterday I ate great, drank my water and worked out.

when i stepped on the scale this am, it says that somehow i gained 6 pounds overnight......how can that be? Of course i have not gone to the bathroom (#2) in 3 days, (i think from the increased protein and less fiber than i am used to).

I freaked a little bit.....but then tried to convince myself THAT was the fluke......i have done great all week--

so I logged in my weight from yesterday morning. (today is my weigh in day).

HELP!!!! mentally, it could be a setback. and i cannot have that happen....not now....i am so focused.

Replies

• joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    dont worry! the scale fluctuates a lot, it might be better to just weigh yourself once a week and focus on that rather than every day as it can get disheartening. Keep doing what you are doing and the weight WILL come off, the 6lb you saw was probably just water weight and not fat, but you will get there, chin up hun!! x
  • KM0112
    KM0112 Posts: 1
    Options
    That has happened to me once and it was when I was exercising a lot. It seemed that it was mostly water weight. Good Luck with the South Beach Diet. I have tried it before. This time I am trying just calorie counting and eating what I have in my house. Also not sure if you are male or female. If you are female then maybe it is close to your period. sorry if you posted your name and I should have been able to tell this is my first time here and reading - replying to a post. Karen
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Options
    Agreed!
  • mroger801
    mroger801 Posts: 91
    Options
    I'm doing a physician-supported weight-loss plan and my doctor told me that weighing in every day can drive people crazy. You might have been down to 200.6 lbs at some point, but it is important to notice that for the week, you are still down 1 pound. It could be anything from water weight to additional muscle weight.

You might consider only weighing in weekly or semi-weekly. Unless you're ready to deal with the ups and downs, don't weigh in every day. Hope this helps!
  • kateq321
    kateq321 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    when i stepped on the scale this am, it says that somehow i gained 6 pounds overnight......how can that be? Of course i have not gone to the bathroom (#2) in 3 days, (i think from the increased protein and less fiber than i am used to).

That is part of the problem right there. You should not be going 3 days without a bowel movement - This can leave you bloated, sluggish and feeling heavy. You might need to increase your fiber intake or maybe go to a health shop and look for something gentle (and natural) to get things moving again.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen before. I would lose, lose, lose and than gain and stay, sometimes for weeks at the same weight but if I kept plugging along all of a sudden it would dramatically drop. The best advice is not to give up, to just keep going. If you don't lose, don't stress! Whatever you do, don't stop!! I've tried the South Beach but decided that cutting the carbs at dinner was a more realistic approach for me. Keep it up. Don't give up! And Good luck!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors to consider......sodium, water retention, constipation, sometimes muscle will hold water from a hard workout (so I'm told).
    Like the others have said, you will get a different weight every day. It might be a good idea to get a body fat caliper so you aren't completely relying on the scale since you can loses inches and not necessarily weight.
    Keep up the good work and make sure you stay consistent each week include weights in your work out and you will see the pounds melt away.
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    see my blog
    on here
    and I will help in any way
    Tim
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yes, that happened to me before. I changed the batteries in my scale and all was good!
  • cdenham001
    cdenham001 Posts: 83
    Options
    I think it's happened to all of us. I have learned that you cannot trust the scale !! lol
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hey Hapenn,

I chart my weight daily, in the morning, after peeing. I can get a really good idea of what I eat and how it affects my water retention, and then I like the pretty trend lines - red is average, and blue is linear. This gives me an idea of where I'm going and "smoothes out" the daily fluctuation.

If I go off course, and "binge" on too much of something - particularly good beer and good wings are my temptation - then my weight will spike up about 6 pounds. I get back on the wagon, drink a lot of water for a few days and it drops back down.

You can see this in the big spike. That's why I like the trend lines - they stay downward. But, when I eat bad, and the daily spikes - the trend line moves out a week. So, one day of binging - moves my weight target goal out a week about. I put this in excel, cause, I like the charts and graphs and it helps me.

Hope this helps you.

chart_snap.gif

PC
  • hapenn
    hapenn Posts: 4
    Options
    well, funny, it must have been a fluke. I stopped freaking out...ate breakfast, peed again...had a bowel movement and then stepped on again "just to see"-- it said 200.4-- so it must have been a fluke.

i dont normally weigh myself everyday, but i got anxious this week, and i am actually glad for that, or i would have been pretty discouraged.

Re: the bowel movements-- I have to get into some kind of natural groove, because i was eating so much fiber before, and now the fiber really needs to come from natural means....i do 2 tbsp of flax a day, I may have to increase that....

and with South Beach-- I have done it before for a long period of time (after i had my child) and was very successful with it. It just takes constant conscious effort to do anything low carb...but my body responds so well to it...my blood panels, etc.

I am very hopeful that I can do this. I had a horrible multi-car accident a year ago and the only way to resolve some of the issues I am still having, is to get the extra weight off my frame, for good.
    so........32 - 40 pounds is to come off. I CAN DO IT.
  • hapenn
    hapenn Posts: 4
    Options
    ps how do you get the little weight loss tracker to post on your reply signature?