Losing weight with hypothyroidism

Options
Hey all! Is there anyone who is diagnosed with hypothyroidism and trying to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle?? I would love to hear any tips you have, any struggles, success stories, etc.

Replies

• dawnfoster50951
    dawnfoster50951 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have thyroiditis. My numbers go up and plummet down . Are normal for a while and then start all Over . God it sucks !! The neutronist I saw said to eat protein with each meal and snack . Add whole wheat with each meal and drinks LOTS of water .
  • kiomami
    kiomami Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's definitely difficult, with low energy. I'm hypoglycemic too so I need to snack every two hours. I just keep getting blood tests and hoping they up my synthroid dose. I did lose 30 pounds a few years ago, but it is always creeping back if I don't watch it. I know I am gaining because I am overeating and not my hypothyroidism.
  • kayla1707
    kayla1707 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism definitely makes weight loss extra challenging. After having a long discussion with my Endocrinologist, I realized the severity of my situation. I wasn't watching what I ate, I wasn't exercising either. I was gaining and gaining so my meds were constantly being modified to higher doses. I said enough is enough. Its getting easier with each passing day to watch my food intake and exercise. Hoping to make this a lifestyle change all together. I have found that limiting sugar and gluten is helpful for those trying to lose weight with hypothyroidism. That is what I have been doing, and I have never felt better!!!!
  • Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Having proper meds is really important. I hadn't proper meds for years and was feeling depressed. After I got them, I suddenly had so much energy and I was very happy.
    Since then, I realised I had no excuse. So I started exercising and changing my eating habits. Taking little steps...
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and losing weight atm, sometimes I have 2-3 weeks when I don't lose and gain little bit but then it drops again to new lowest weight. Good medication helps a lot with having energy to do stuff.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I'm 47, with hypothyroid (for about a decade), taking Synthroid. I have no problems losing weight. I've averaged 1.8 lbs per week since Sep 1/15. However, I can gain very easily when not following my calorie goals as well. Maintenance is going to be tricky.
  • EternalTruth
    EternalTruth Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Veryana wrote: »
    I have hypothyroidism and losing weight atm, sometimes I have 2-3 weeks when I don't lose and gain little bit but then it drops again to new lowest weight. Good medication helps a lot with having energy to do stuff.

Mine situation is very similar.

I am 41 and was diagnosed at age 20.