Suggestions for good cook book

Options
I'm looking to buy a decent cookbook obviously with healthy meals, preferably 400/500 calorie meals in its. Anyone any recommendations? TIA

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Food made from real food ingredients tend to be healthy, and you can tweak calories by adjusting portion size. I think you should look for a cook book filled with recipes of food you LIKE.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Any cookbook that looks interesting to you will do. Most cookbooks contain recipes that can easily be made lower in calories. Here is a recipe I made recently from a cookbook:
    7 tablespoons | 105 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving

1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced

2 cups | 8 oz | 225 g diced celery

Fine-grain sea salt

1 bay leaf

3 sprigs fresh thyme

7 cups | 1.65 L water

3 cups | 15 oz | 425 g cooked barley

1 large dried ancho chile

1 large clove garlic, smashed

1 small whole preserved lemon, rinsed, seeded, and minced

3 cups | 4 oz | 115 g chicory, cut into 1½-inch | 4cm pieces

Crème fraîche, chopped cilantro, and/or chopped chives, to serve

All I had to do was use less oil and use cilantro as topping instead of creme fraiche.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of delicious. magazine, their recipes are very rigorously tested and reliable, and they put a lot of thought into the instructions so that even advanced recipes are easier than you expect. It's a monthly magazine, but they also put out cookbooks and have a lot of recipes on their website deliciousmagazine.co.uk - try a few out and see what you think. They have some low calorie recipes, a lot that are moderate and they publish nutrition info for all of them.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have all the cooking light cookbooks. I like them. There are so many books out there! I would just go into a bookstore and peruse some of them and see if any are the kind of things you like. Also, go to the library, tons of healthy cookbooks there for free and then you can order ones you might like.

I would check sites like eating well, health.com, Ellie Krieger on food network, weight watchers books, there are a bunch of weight watcher sites with tons of healthy recipes, skinnytaste.com. And like others said, it's very easy to adjust most recipes to healthier.

What kind of food do you like?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You could also pass by your library.
    Full of books on the light cooking.
    I once found the Mayo Diet Healthy Recipes book.
    It would have been 40 bucks at a bookstore.
    Their recipes are also online at
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/recipes
    I bought a chrome book just for my kitchen to view recipes.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of Giada, all her food is fantastic

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    tke3c63ayawt.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The skinnytaste cookbook.

but really... Google.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of the LooneySpoons collection - 1)Looneyspoons, 2)Crazy Plates and 3)Eat, Shrink and be Merry (and a fourth - Looneyspoons Collection) Good food with easily accessible, everyday foods spanning a variety of cuisines including vegetarian. Soft cover, inexpensive and readily available. I like them because of the humour in them, and they give all the nutritional information for the recipes. Looneyspoons was the first one, and they have made improvements as each book has come out, especially in the way they indicate amounts for the recipes (grams vs cups now) I cook regularly from these, and generally have enjoyed the recipes. Some needed additional tweaking, but by and large, good stuff.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    PaleOMG changed my life. I'm not pro paleo or anything (I tried for a bit), but it was one of the best cookbooks I ever used. Unfortunately the calorie count isn't written in the recipes, but MFP makes it easy to figure out. They are delicious and easy to make...
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I second Skinnytaste, but I just get recipes off the website. Haven't disliked one yet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Food made from real food ingredients tend to be healthy, and you can tweak calories by adjusting portion size. I think you should look for a cook book filled with recipes of food you LIKE.

This. I recommend Mark Bittman's cookbooks if you are something of a beginner to cooking.
  • trixiex
    trixiex Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Leanin15 by the body coach. Has some great exercises in it too. Very easy recipes and Joe is easy on the eye...