Logging all the food - my biggest problem

Hi. Well.... I have tried to lose weight so many times, I cannot even tell how many. And the only think that works for me is logging all I eat. And here is my problem: in the beginning it goes well. But after a while I'm just getting depressed and tired of this. And then I stop. I'm of course using my top-argument: I have learned what and how much I should eat, so I don't need to write down every single bite. And you guys can imagine the result, right? This time I really want to succeed. Did any of you have same problem? How do you deal with it? Anyone who wants to be buddies?

Replies

• mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Well I don't think I have a similar problem but I love the buddies part :wink:
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Some people are good at guesstimating the calories they eat just by looking at their food. It sounds like you are not one of those people. You're not alone, plenty of people on here choose to continue counting calories even when they hit their goal weight. It also helps if you weigh all your food and measure all your drinks. It's the most accurate way to log calories.

how long do you track your calories before you start getting "depressed and tired" of it.
  • Rondua
    Rondua Posts: 14 Member
    OODone wrote: »
    Some people are good at guesstimating the calories they eat just by looking at their food. It sounds like you are not one of those people. You're not alone, plenty of people on here choose to continue counting calories even when they hit their goal weight. It also helps if you weigh all your food and measure all your drinks. It's the most accurate way to log calories.

how long do you track your calories before you start getting "depressed and tired" of it.

2-3 months. Then I think that this is so limiting, you know. But this is the only think that really works for me! I just need to find a way to keep doing it and don't lose motivation.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Rondua wrote: »

2-3 months. Then I think that this is so limiting, you know. But this is the only think that really works for me! I just need to find a way to keep doing it and don't lose motivation.

I allow myself a day about once a month to not track anything and just eat using my eyes. I don't plan these days. I just do it when I want a break from feeling restricted. Maybe you could try something like that.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    I'm the same. Think I'll have to log for a very long time.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Yes, I've had this problem. Lots. Except I get fed up and quit in about 10 days. I don't seem to be having the problem this time but I'm genuinely not sure why! I'll think about it and if anything comes to me I'll let you know.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    For me weighing and logging has just become another thing that I do daily , like putting on my makeup- I just can't imagine not doing it.

I've been at it this time nearly 200 days and there have been plenty times I haven't logged accurately - Christmas, parties, bbqs, out for the day with family so I just quick add and guesstimate.

However when I'm at home and have my little scale I love it. I try to guess the weight of what I'm eating and more often than not I'm short changing myself, if I didn't weigh I would have less to eat as I'm underestimating. Not great when your on 1200 a day.

Recently I plateaued and have got the scale moving again ( albeit in tiny amounts) by tightening up my logging. I'm getting nearer to goal and eatingtoo many of my Fitbit cals wasn't doing me any favours.

Good luck Op and add me if you want a buddy x
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Rondua wrote: »

I allow myself a day about once a month to not track anything and just eat using my eyes. I don't plan these days. I just do it when I want a break from feeling restricted. Maybe you could try something like that.

As an alternative to this: you could log for 2 months then give yourself 2-4 weeks break before you reach the point of feeling overwhelmed, log for 2 months and so on.

During the breaks from logging, don't use it as an excuse to stuff yourself with everything and then some. Try to apply the portion sizes from the period when you log. Best case you keep on losing, meaning you stay in the 'break' phase for as long as the scale keeps showing losses (or what ever measurement you base yourself on). Second best case you stay at the same weight (maintenance), meaning after the break phase you just pick up weightloss again. If you start gaining you might want to keep the break phase as short as possible. If after a week you feel you're ready to go again, you start logging again.

Best of luck to you!
  • sparklydeer
    sparklydeer Posts: 24 Member
    I think it's just one of those things that you need to accept that you have to do and just get on with it, for instance I personally do not enjoy sweeping the floor, but I know that I have to do it, so I just get on it with it. Logging is no different :) For me I know that once I stop tracking, I get a little more relaxed and gradually gain weight so this time I made a decision to keep on logging once I hit my goal weight. Think about it logically, it really doesn't take long at all to log your food, maybe five minutes a day or less? What else could you be doing with those five minutes that is as rewarding as the potential results you could gain by logging your food?

I think a lot of it is down to your mindset and how you view logging to be honest. Maybe try to start thinking about it in a more positive light rather than as a chore? If you dread logging and find yourself getting tired of it, your brain is going to associate logging with being a negative thing that you don't want to do. If you think of hitting your macros as a positive fun challenge or game then it won't seem like such a daunting task. This is one daily task that really is physically rewarding, if I do well I lose/maintain weight! WIN!

Good luck :)
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    If you know you are not successful guessing and logging is the only thing that works than what it really comes down to is: Do you want it enough or not? You have a solution, you know it works...you just need to stick to it. it comes down to YOU. There is no magic trick. However you can build a nice support circle and take it one day at the time. Good luck!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I have a routine now of weighing food, so it comes as second nature. I have my food scales on the counter with a pad & pen there to write down the weights. So, for example, I'm making a salad I put my bowl on the scales, then each time I add food to the bowl weigh the food then put the scales back to zero. There's not much extra work to that. I portion out snacks in bags like nuts or dried fruit etc so they're already weighed out. Just try finding your way of weighing foods and eventually it will become part of your routine.
  • Rondua
    Rondua Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks, guys for all the support and brilliant ideas! I will definitely try to keep tracking my food and excercise and don't give up :)