Couch to 5k calories burned

cecsav1
cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
How do I enter my couch to 5k workouts? Since it's not a consistent speed, I don't really want to enter walking, but I don't want to enter jogging either. I know the amount of time I spend, but that's not enough info to calculate calories burned. AND since I "run" in my neighborhood, rather than a treadmill, I'm not sure how fast I'm going. Does it really even matter? Can I just kind of meet in the middle and log fast walking or slow jogging for the entire 30 min?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Or track how far you've gone in that 30 minutes, and log the median speed.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    You might try a calculator using your average speed

I'm in C25K as well and when I took more time to calculate the walk vs run intervals versus entering it as just "walking" due to the low average speed (I'm pokey) the calorie burn was just about the same. I'd also note what day in the program I did for my own records as a note.

Good luck with your training!!

• cecsav1
    Good idea, but I have no idea what the distance is either. :( My car's odometer rounds to the nearest mile, so even if I drove the route, I'd still have to estimate.
  • cecsav1
    Awesome calculator though! Thanks for the link!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    are you using the app? If I'm outside, I start up mapmyrun along with the C25K app to track distance, time, and elevation (use that for hiking, etc as well) then you can get more accurate data.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    I use the free version of MapMyFitness when i run. It worked while following the c25k program too.

The program uses GPS to track my distance and speed, and even figures in elevation changes, and then calculates calorie burn for me, and even uploads the data directly to MFP.

It wouldn't work on a treadmill, but in that case i would simply calculate my average speed using total distance and total time, and plug that into MFP for my calculations.
  • cecsav1
    Ohhhh... hey now. Lol. I'm only using the Couch to 5k app. I didn't realize I needed another app as well. MapMyRun and MapMyFitness?
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2016
    I personally use Strava, switched from Endomondo about a year ago.

I've tried ....
    • Nike Run
    • Strava
    • Endomondo
    • MapMyFitness
    • Under Armour Record
    • Nike Run
    • RunKeeper
    • Wahoo Fitness

And Endo and Strava are my two personal favorites.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    Sadly, my C25K app doesn't track the route or anything, it just tells me when to run and walk... so the other app is needed to track the actual run.

try out a few different ones (like mjneidlinger noted) and see which one you like the best :)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Before my app logged it automatically, I just looked at how much time I was walking vs. jogging.. Logged my time walking at 3.0 mph and then separately logged my time jogging (brisk walking at 4.0 mph).
  • cecsav1
    Thanks, guys, for all your help! :) Looks like I have some apps to download and explore now!
  • frenchys_2k5
    frenchys_2k5 Posts: 4 Member
    Map my walk is good! Tells u the distance of your walk, speed you walked the distance in and time. I tried doing the 5k for 50 days, after 4 days and working long 10 hour shifts on my feet I gave up but this app definitely made me want to improve my time and distance!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    instead of map my walk or run download mapmyfitness and choose which workout you are doing.

I used it when I did C25K...worked great.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    When I did C25K I found Nike Run to be much more accurate than MapMyRun. Map my run often said I was running 14mph, and I KNOW I never get even close to that fast! Nike Run costs money, but I felt that the couple bucks was worth it.