Protein power and hot coffee?

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on a brand that mixes well with hot coffee? Bpi used to work well before they changed the formula, now everything I try just clumps.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    What I do when I add protein powder to my coffee is I first mix it with a little something cold (like creamer or syrup) to make a slurry of sorts. Then I temper (pour slowly) the hot coffee in while mixing vigorously. I never have clumps when I do it this way.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    yeah, the problem is that heat denatures protein. That's why egg whites go from a clear liquid to solid and white when you boil them. So like Chef Barbell said, you have to mix the protein powder into something cold.
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Get a blender bottle, it really helps. But when using hot coffee only do a couple of shakes then open it, then close it and do a couple more shakes and repeat a couple of times. This relieves the pressure that builds up from the heat.

I used to do this then I started drinking cold coffee. I make my coffee the night before and add a no-calorie sweetener. I put this in my blender bottle over night in the fridge. I also premeasure my powder the night before and put it in the container next to the fridge. Then in the morning I just grab the bottle, throw in my powder, shake and go! Tastes like the Starbucks prepackaged cold brew coffee with milk but less calories and more nutrients from the powder.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use one of those hand immersion blenders to get rid of the lumps. From experience, casein seems to mix better than whey isolate/concentrate.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I think it mixes better with cold/iced coffee; use an immersion blender then put in the ice afterwards. When I tried protein powder in hot coffee, it was terribly gross.
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. It's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem!
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This morning I Mixed my protein with a bit of water, shook it up then poured my coffee into the blender bottle, shook a bit, opened the lid, shook some more, opened the lid, and voila! It tasted like the frosty goodness I remember! Thanks for everyone's advice!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Truth: I mix it cold then microwave it when I am ready to drink it.
    In a perfect world, I would have time to slurry it into my fresh hot coffee, but my world isn't perfect.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Truth: I mix it cold then microwave it when I am ready to drink it.
    In a perfect world, I would have time to slurry it into my fresh hot coffee, but my world isn't perfect.

Takes an extra few minutes, no real time at all. *shrug*
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I love it with cold coffee. Cold coffee+whey protein (unflavored or flavored)+splash of soy creamer=deliciousness.