Sugar Addicts - Withdrawal Support (Language Warning - tis a side effect)

Options
Well.

I surrender to the fact that I have an addiction to sugar. I realize this with a heavy heart as I'm on day 2 of trying to give it up. Day 1 was great - positive, determined, goals feeling achievable but today - Day 2 the headaches started, the cranky started the cravings started and I convinced myself honey isn't really sugar.

So I'm back to square one. I want to work with other addicts of the sweet things in life to get to the point where it does not rule my life and consume my thoughts. I've been there before and its a beautiful place. Sugar free is the sweetest reward. Any other addicts out there willing to join me in sharing ideas, support and motivation tips, any little tricks that help you get through the hard core cravings and beat this sugar demon. Please join me and we can compare notes (and recipes) - just kidding - I just want to kick the sugar demons to the curb and regain my sensibilities around food. Ideas - Anyone!!

Replies

• can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh my ... my name is Chris and I am a sugar addict!
    I have been working seriously on this since Jan 2016. I did not go cold turkey but have greatly reduced my sugar consumption. I did however quite drinking diet pop and I count that as a HUGE success. I think about sugar a LOT. I literally dream about sugar. I just finished lunch and BAM i would love a piece of chocolate. I deny myself this quite often, but I do indulge from time to time. When I do eat sweets I try to keep the portion small. Feel free to add me as a buddy. I need accountablility.
  • deedoe83
    deedoe83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Recovering sugar addict too, I'll add you!
  • samanthadelauder724
    samanthadelauder724 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've tried to kick sugar cold turkey and I'm gonna be honest, I failed multiple times. Ive had the biggest sweet tooth since forever. I think now I have it under control. The biggest things that keep me away from sweets are working out and keeping away from temptation (avoiding the snack aisle, stuff like that.) I also stopped trying to go cold turkey, and I just weened myself off slowly. I know dropping sugar at once can work for some people but not for me. I was making myself so miserable dropping sugar all at once that I got stressed and would crave it even more. Also, I've slipped once or twice when it came to avoiding sweets but I didn't let that discourage me, as long as it didn't happen too often! Good luck!
  • mcuttinup
    mcuttinup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm back on mfp to feel better and be more active. I also have a sugar addiction and no idea how to start tackling it. Any ideas?
  • StrawbC
    StrawbC Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not alone on this one. Day 3 of attempting to go sugar free and well I'm still having the honey debate. I don't usually have honey in or on anything but since I've stopped the sweet treats I'm putting it on my nonfat yoghurt trying to convince myself this is an "ok" this to do but I'm not convinced. What's everyone's thoughts on honey is it a sugar, does it fit into that basket of which I am to avoid?? I know there are some health benefits from non heated honey but I find what its really doing for me is giving me the taste for sweet. I think its like replacing cigarettes with cigars not that I smoke, so glad I don't have to struggle with that vice too, but I just find once I have a bit of honey I just get the taste and want more sweet things.

So even though its day 3 of my sugar free attempts I still don't think I've had a truly sugar free day. Another opportunity tomorrow. I just want to feel like I did when sugar was just not appealing. When i preferred savory over sweet. Bring back those days and the days where I could string 2 weeks together of calorie accountable eating. These days I can't string 2 days together. <big sigh> Maybe this is just part of the sugar detox process.. :(
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm unclear on the parameters you are setting for yourself OP. You said sugar free, but are still eating yogurt, I presume fruit, and you are pondering if honey is ok. What exactly are you cutting out?
  • StrawbC
    Options
    The yoghurt I eat is all natural no added sugar. It's an acquired taste but I like it. I'm a label reader and I try to avoid anything with 3 or more grams of sugar per 100grms of product. Its processed and added sugar I'm trying to eliminate. Sugar occurring naturally in fruit for example I don't see as such a problem. Watch "that sugar film" or check out the book "sweet poison" it sets some good parameters for sugar consumption. Now there's an idea I should reread that book. It was really life changing the first time. Thanks for reminding me... :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So an appropriate title for the thread would be "Added Sugar Addict" I presume.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    So an appropriate title for the thread would be "Added Sugar Addict" I presume.

Seems like it.
  • sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I could do with cutting out added sugar.

It's not that I think sugar itself is bad - I'm a fan of moderation rather than elimination - but for me it's a gateway drug to pizza, beer, M&Ms, sitting in the dark on my own eating ice cream.

So, for the rest of the day there will be no added sugar for me - I'm even thinking twice about this apple. I'll worry about tomorrow when I get there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with cutting out added sugar if someone wants to -- I did it myself for a while as an experiment (it didn't do anything for me, so I now eat added sugar in moderation). However, it's worth clarifying that the recommendations are not that added sugar must be cut out (or that there's anything worse about it in itself than any other sugar), but that it be kept below 10% of calories (US Guidelines) or below 10% and ideally 5% of calories (WHO). The reason for both recommendations is that added sugar tends to be in low nutrient high cal foods (often the calories are about 50% from fat, though), and therefore eating high amounts of added sugar correlates with eating too many calories, for many.

What worked for me in cutting calories from sugary things (other than fruit, which I probably increased) was:

(1) Focusing on eating a balanced diet overall, with lots of vegetables and adequate protein, and including foods I really love and look forward to eating (I admit to enjoying my own home cooking). What this, as well as eating sufficient calories, did was make sure that I could be satisfied and happy based on my three main meals (the eating pattern I like, everyone should figure out their own).

(2) I tried cutting out added sugar for a while as I tended to gravitate to sweet snacks at work for emotional and stress reasons and wanted to teach myself I didn't need these foods. (I did this less because I craved sweets and more because sweets are just what tend to appear at my office. Co-worker with a bakery business is part of it, and gifts from vendors and extras from various meetings and lunch desserts.)

(3) I quickly realized that simply cutting out between meal snacking was more of a factor for me than added sugar -- once I was out of the habit of snacking and learned to respond to desires to eat at times I should not be hungry by focusing on the anticipation for my next meal or simply distracting myself or dealing with stress in other ways, I stopped wanting to eat something just because it appeared and looked tasty.

(4) I knew that I had no interest in never having sweets again and that cutting them out, for me, seemed like a way of over-focusing on them. So I came up with parameters when I ate them. Keeping ice cream or high quality chocolate in the house isn't an issue for me, so I do that, and sometimes have a serving or small square after dinner regularly (if it fit in my calories only, of course). At first, it would have been much more challenging to bake something and have that around, so I didn't. In the last 2 years I've really only baked for holidays, when I had people coming over. I do indulge on special occasions when someone else baked. Since work was a trigger situation for me, I've found it easier to stick to not snacking between meals (other than something planned for at an event) and include a little something sweet (when I do) after dinner. I also go through long periods when I have something non sweet (like good cheese) as my post dinner thing or nothing at all.

What I would recommend in general is understanding the circumstances surrounding when you are likely to overeat. For example, I know work is an issue, because of stress and built up bad habits. I know freshly-baked pie is harder for me to resist than ice cream (although not so much any more). I know being tired is going to make me want to eat and have less will power. And I know wanting to eat does not necessarily correlate with actually being hungry or having any reason to eat and that my next delicious meal is never that far away.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    And yes of course honey counts as sugar (added or free sugar, as defined by the WHO, specifically).

If you want a little something in your yogurt (and don't mind the sugar intrinsic in yogurt, i.e., lactose), I think adding berries is tasty but even more I like using it as dip for apples and sometimes even vegetables.

Then again, I don't see any harm in including a bit of honey if that makes it taste better for you.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sugar comes from sugar cane or sugar beets which are both plants.

If you truly have an sugar addiction I suggest getting help.

Do you all eat sugar directly from the bag??
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    @StrawbC I understand where you are coming from. I try for moderation when it comes to sugar, although sometimes my consumption creeps up. I find even a one day reset with next to no sugar gets me back on track. Worse yet are the binges. Let me share a recent one with you.

I had a relapse on Sunday involving 6 pieces of cake. :neutral: It was my daughter's birthday on the Wednesday prior, and she wanted to bake an elaborate cake. I managed to survive the day long smells of baking 8 layers, I resisted the urge to lick spoons or bowls or eat little pieces of cake that she carved away in sculpting and decorating her masterpiece (a skull cake on top of a slab cake) on the 2nd & 3rd day, and I managed on the 4th day to sit down with family and friends and have a very small piece of each of the two kinds of cake, without triggering any binges. But on the 5th day another friend dropped in, and the cake was hauled up from the basement fridge where I insist it be kept, and we each had a piece of cake with a cup of tea. At that point our friend and an over night house guest left, and all civility left with them. I ate cake till I felt ill. The next day I drove up to the cottage and stayed overnight. I know myself well enough that once I start this "disinhibited" behaviour, I have an increased chance of continuing in the following days. My getaway did the trick and I am back home and back in control. I recognize that resisting leftovers after hosting is my Achilles heel. I can't stop hosting. I just have to figure out ways to deal with what is for me the "perfect storm" of the aftermath.
  • jennbrook180
    jennbrook180 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    mcuttinup wrote: »
    I'm back on mfp to feel better and be more active. I also have a sugar addiction and no idea how to start tackling it. Any ideas?

Have you tried the KETO Diet?
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm a huge addict.

I'm using self-compassion from Dr Kristin Neff to navigate the challenging landscape of self-criticism so often encountered in weight loss or self-discipline efforts. She offers her meditations and exercises for free on her self-compassion website.
  • StrawbC
    Options
    @StrawbC I understand where you are coming from. I try for moderation when it comes to sugar, although sometimes my consumption creeps up. I find even a one day reset with next to no sugar gets me back on track. Worse yet are the binges. Let me share a recent one with you.

I had a relapse on Sunday involving 6 pieces of cake. :neutral: It was my daughter's birthday on the Wednesday prior, and she wanted to bake an elaborate cake. I managed to survive the day long smells of baking 8 layers, I resisted the urge to lick spoons or bowls or eat little pieces of cake that she carved away in sculpting and decorating her masterpiece (a skull cake on top of a slab cake) on the 2nd & 3rd day, and I managed on the 4th day to sit down with family and friends and have a very small piece of each of the two kinds of cake, without triggering any binges. But on the 5th day another friend dropped in, and the cake was hauled up from the basement fridge where I insist it be kept, and we each had a piece of cake with a cup of tea. At that point our friend and an over night house guest left, and all civility left with them. I ate cake till I felt ill. The next day I drove up to the cottage and stayed overnight. I know myself well enough that once I start this "disinhibited" behaviour, I have an increased chance of continuing in the following days. My getaway did the trick and I am back home and back in control. I recognize that resisting leftovers after hosting is my Achilles heel. I can't stop hosting. I just have to figure out ways to deal with what is for me the "perfect storm" of the aftermath.

OH MY.. you sound so much like me or I sound so much like you.. I need a cottage to escape to. I can stay "pure" for days resisting and being dedicated to my goal and then WHAM... one little something will trigger an unfettered binge that will last till I go to bed... I'm not overly restrictive in my calories or intake but added sugar does tend to sill me over to overeating.

I want to learn some strategies to be able to see the trigger or have ways to stop the story that goes on in my head when I'm about to make the decision to eat something I know will trigger a binge that changes from a rationalizing the unwanted behaviour to supporting the positive decision and behaviour. To this I am very open to suggestions!!
  • StrawbC
    Options
    I'm a huge addict.

I'm using self-compassion from Dr Kristin Neff to navigate the challenging landscape of self-criticism so often encountered in weight loss or self-discipline efforts. She offers her meditations and exercises for free on her self-compassion website.

I can't find this even when I google it... an chance of a link?