Walking Shoes Suggestion

Options
I need some help picking out walking shoes. Just a little back story. I finally had enough about a month ago and with my wife's help we made a big life change to start eating healthy. I started out at 353 and lost 36 so far. My doctor told me after loosing 10% of my weight I will need to start some cardio exercises like walking etc.

I'm 32 and only issue I have so far is heel pain here and there. I intend to walk/treadmill everyday but I really need a good walking shoe. I was told to check out Brooks/New Balance but not sure what direction to go in as I see 10 different shoes in each brand. Any help would be great.

Thanks
John

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'd head to your local running store and have them fit you for shoes. They'll know how to work with your stride. Brooks and NB are awesome, but may or may not work for your particular needs, we are all different.
    They'll have you walk on a treadmill or on the floor and analyze your stride (my shop has a video recorder, so I even got to see it in slow motion) then they will pick out models that will be best for you.

They won't be cheap, but they'll be right (and most let you try them for 30 days and you can bring them back and exchange them if they're not)

Enjoy!
  • hamstermann
    hamstermann Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too. I go through shoes quickly. I talked to the salespeople at Cabela's about it and they recommended the Keen Brand. I bought them a month ago and already see the soles wearing down a bit, but it may be a while before I have to get new ones. I think I remember something about a warranty on them as well. I walk about 4 miles home from the bus after work every day so maybe the wear is to be expected?

Congrats on your fast loss. That's great.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Most running shoe brands will have a "shoe finder" Like this one from Brooks based on some basic information about how you walk, and what you indented to do with the shoes. Also don't be afraid to walk into a Running store and have them help you out with shoes. I know it can be a little intimidating at first but they are there to help. Just do them a favor, if you go to a store and pick their brain about shoes. Please buy from them.

The shoes I currently use for road running is Brooks Launch 3, Which are very light and very responsive. Mizuno Wave Prophecy 3. Which are heavier and have loads of cushion. And I use Adidas Vigor TR6 for when I go trail running, which are very flexible but do not offer much support.

Just in those three shoes you have three different styles of shoes for three different purposes.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Most running shoes, including the ones mentioned above, have a raised heel, which actually isn't ideal for walking (or anything else except running). A raised heel prevents a smooth rolling motion of your foot, which can cause orthopedic problems. Good walking shoes have no raised heel, technically called a zero "heel to toe drop". Personally i walk in ordinary skateboard shoes.. which you won't find at most running shoe stores. If you need more cushioning than that, go with zero heel running shoes, like Altra, New Balance Minimus Trail, etc. Comfort is the most important thing, not brand.

For the heel pain, try stretching your calves & arches a few times a day. Instructions are on youtube. :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I like sketchers for walking... different if you're planning on running and doing other work in the gym with them on though?