how long does it take before I can expect results?

Options
I never start threads, I usually like to just add to other people's or try to find the answer I'm looking for in the search function. I've read the threads for n00bs about eating your exercise calories and starvation mode, so I've been careful to get enough to eat,
Buuuut...
I've been eating within my calorie range for over two weeks, save for one day. I've been exercising a lot. I've been doing heavy-duty household chores. I've been drinking a lot of water. There were a few days that I didn't eat clean and drank alcohol, but even on those days my calories weren't wildly out of range, I counted it as part of my daily calorie goal.

And I still haven't lost! ANYTHING. I weighed in one day and it said I lost 2 lbs, so I tracked it, but then a couple days later it said I gained that back and then some and I didn't have the heart to change my tracker.

I'm not expecting miracles here. I know it took a long time to gain and it will take a long time to lose, but I just want to know how long on average I should expect to wait before I start to see any significant change? If I know that my experience is common and that others have struggled with this too, it will make me feel a lot better about this. It seems every thread I see, everybody has large losses right off the bat and NSVs.

I know if I stick with it, one day, I will too.

BUT WHEN??!!??!!

Before anybody says anything about the alcohol, you should know I've already pledged not to drink for the month of July, because as far as I can see that's my "problem area," so that will be in check going forward.
Please feel free to browse my food and exercise diary. I'd love any feedback.

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's okay to drink in moderation.. just work out a little more if you know you are going to be drinking for the extra calories...

It can take up to a month before results really start showing.. but everyone is different.. I don't really press myself on eating exercise calories.. if I am hungry I will eat, if not I don't... I don't understand the purpose of burning those calories off and then eating them right back :/

My results aren't all that great either... gets a bit discouraging, but you got to just keep up at it!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If working out is new for you, you might not lose weight for a bit b/c you are gaining muscle, but in time it will definitely help you lose. You may lose inches before you lose pounds.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If working out is new for you, you might not lose weight for a bit b/c you are gaining muscle, but in time it will definitely help you lose. You may lose inches before you lose pounds.

Yep this is really true.. my scale is moving much but my husband says he can see a nice difference in my "shape" already :P
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems I can go weeks with nothing or fluctuate upa nd down then suddelny a loss it's weird din't get discouraged, you could be putting on some muscle from dedicating working out you should take measurements as well I find I lose inches mroe than scale weight which is great I am down a size in tha last 3 months and olnly lost 3-4 lbs
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options
    I measured progress in sets of 3 weeks, If you just think of every 3 weeks as a set, it makes it a bit easier because 2 weeks in you will be thinking "I only have 1 week left in this set" and it motivates you. I also use 3 weeks because that to me is historically the optimum timeframe for noticeable results.

However, this does not mean you should not feel free to weigh yourself every day or two days, note that your weight will fluctuate up & down but tracking it in 3 week sets will show that it is a definate downward trend.

In this way, we can also use it to tweak our diets & training, if you did something different in Set 2 as you did in Set 3 and you're weight loss increased/decreased as a result, you can act accordingly. If you are not losing weight over the 3 weeks, maybe reduce your calorie intake by 200 or eliminate some item from your diet that you think may be the culprit e.g. potatos or pasta.

I would also note that I only consider my first set to be a "prep set", it's the set-up phase when your body is adjusting to the new diet & training regime, the end of the 2nd set is when the real fun kicks in.

Most importantly though - Do not get discouraged & Good Luck
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I agree! you need to measure yourself too! In addition to the three that MFP has, I also measured my upper legs, butt, natural waist, the biggest part of my gut, chest and upper arms. I'm a bottom gainer/loser so I can see a change in my butt and upper legs a lot!
  • jenro39
    jenro39 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi Im in the same boat as yourself, in my first week I lost 4 pounds - 2kgs and then the past 2 weeks ive stayed within my calories if not less and have lost nothing but stayed the same. Im going to up my exercise as I havent been putting in alot at all and will see if this helps and will also try and drink more as only drinking about 4/5 glasses of water a day and 2 coffees. Im eating healthy so dont know where im going wrong as thought the weight would be falling off as I was eating too many calories before as I graze but eat proper meals now!!!

Very frustrating, if you come up with an answer to it please let me know.

Cheers
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    I think weight loss in general is a slow process. Everyone is different.

It disheartens me to see that my spouse and I started tracking our intake at the same time...he weighed more than I did and he's quickly going to over take me. However, I do know that as long as I keep plodding along and making the changes that it will come.

The first week I started calorie counting I lost nearly 2 pounds then the next week I lost another 2 pounds, but in the last two weeks I've only managed half a pound.

Judging from what you're saying, you probably are losing, but not seeing it because the exercise is building muscle. I've found if I'm exercising more than I usually do, my weight will be up a little bit. I may even exceed what I weighed the previous week, but it's only temporary.

I started exercising regularly in January. I didn't see any weight loss except maybe a pound here and there, but I was building muscle in my arms and in my legs (and I can see it!). The only way I knew I was losing weight in the non-standard sense was that my jeans weren't as tight, my shirts were feeling looser even if the scale was just being evil.

At some point your body will build enough muscle to where you will start seeing results a bit faster. As others have said it, you should measure your loss by how you feel and how your clothes fit.

While my weight isn't that much lower than when I started, I will probably need a size or two smaller in jeans in the next couple of weeks.

Chin up! It will come. :)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I lost two pounds and then promptly gained one back. It was close to a month before I started seeing any real change in the scale. I think I've been on MFP for about 6 weeks now. I lost exactly one pound the first month. Yippee. But I lost a pound last week and I'm on track to lose another pound this week. Just stick with it and it'll happen.
  • nlassite
    nlassite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When you first start it doesn't come off right away, it takes about a month for your body to adjust. I eat about every 2 to 3 hours small meals. I try very hard to eat all my calories for the day. If you feel like you are stuck in a rut then you need to change something in your workout. I am just getting out of a plateau.
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your quick reply! I think what has partially disheartened me is seeing my husband who does not track whatever he eats and goes for a run every couple days has been dropping lbs like mad. But everybody's different.

It sounds like a lot of people are having a similar experience to me so thank you for lettting me know I'm not alone. I could very well be gaining muscle, becaue I'm weight training for the first time in my life. I hope that's it :)

Also, I think I'm going to take broxy's advice and weigh less frequently and also as some others have said, use my measuring tape. I feel stronger, and healthier jus because I'm doing something...so that's going to be my NSV for now. Just getting off my *kitten* :laugh:
  • broxi1979
    Options
    I've found if I'm exercising more than I usually do, my weight will be up a little bit. I may even exceed what I weighed the previous week, but it's only temporary.

I started exercising regularly in January. I didn't see any weight loss except maybe a pound here and there, but I was building muscle in my arms and in my legs (and I can see it!). The only way I knew I was losing weight in the non-standard sense was that my jeans weren't as tight, my shirts were feeling looser even if the scale was just being evil.

At some point your body will build enough muscle to where you will start seeing results a bit faster. As others have said it, you should measure your loss by how you feel and how your clothes fit.

That phenomenon of weighing more after sustained training is pretty common but do you find that weigh loss comes after a 1-2 day rest period from the training?

Building muscle is very important not only for weight loss but maintaining healthy weight when you get there. Muscles are little calorie burning factories and being more muscle dense will help you to burn calories at a higher rate even when sitting at rest. This is the reason that bodybuilders can eat huge amounts of calories and not gain weight from it. They don't just burn more during exercise, their bodies deal with the intake more efficiently.
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    "That phenomenon of weighing more after sustained training is pretty common but do you find that weigh loss comes after a 1-2 day rest period from the training?"

For me, it's not a significant loss because I'm having to deal with an insulin resistance that just makes everything nuts. :)
    I did find that I had a loss about 3 days after I did *a lot* of walking and swimming last week. It was a sudden drop, but again, it wasn't a lot, but it was just enough to keep me going.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Results seem to appear quicker for those that have a lot to lose (50+ lbs)

I lost 5 lbs in my first week, and then 4 in my second.
    But to get this result, I went from eating anything to a 1200 calories a day allowance without eating any exercise calories - I wasn't exercising then anyway....!

So, how much do you have to lose? If it's 20 lbs or less, then you may only lose 1/2 a pund a week.
    Have a read of the mfp basics link in my signature and make sure your goals & settings are correctly set - this will make sure you have the correct calorie allowance & hopefully will get your weight loss started.
  • sammy2672
    sammy2672 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have been doing this for about 2weeks also and found that it's been up and down i nthe weight loss aspect. But my clothes are not so tight and my body shape is changing so it must be working.
    I think it's a good idea about logging your weight every 3 weeks and not every day as we do retain water some days more than others. Be sure to weigh yourself around the same time of day also and use one pair of reliable scales.

Keep up the good work and you will start seeing the results.

Sam x:flowerforyou:
  • broxi1979
    Options
    "That phenomenon of weighing more after sustained training is pretty common but do you find that weigh loss comes after a 1-2 day rest period from the training?"

For me, it's not a significant loss because I'm having to deal with an insulin resistance that just makes everything nuts. :)
    I did find that I had a loss about 3 days after I did *a lot* of walking and swimming last week. It was a sudden drop, but again, it wasn't a lot, but it was just enough to keep me going.

Yep, that sounds about right. When I used to train 5 days a week, I would see little gains thru the week, at the weekend I would just relax and have some fun, not worrying about training and on the Monday *Bam* I would have lost 2-3 lbs. Those rest days are important.

Insulin Resistance throws a whole other factor in there tho I guess, good luck with that.
  • dhmorrow
    dhmorrow Posts: 7
    Options
    Some great bite-sized gems here. To summarize a few:

1) Weight loss will vary from person to person, situation to situation, and period of life to period of life.
    2) Often, men will be seen to lose weight quicker. Men also tend to burn more calories doing the same exercise. There's plenty on this elsewhere.
    3) (One of my favorites) Especially if you are new to exercise, it can take your body a month or more to get used to exercising. AND you may be building muscle while in this shock mode instead of losing tons of noticeable fat.
    4)and many more.

As far as eating your calories, there are extensive posts regarding this elsewhere on the forum. Perhaps one (overly) simple way to think of it is this: we have been brought up to think that fewer calories equals weight loss, but that is not the whole truth. When you start thinking of food as fuel, it becomes more clear. Here is the overly simple, but still helpful (I think) part: your body is constantly burning calories - burning fuel. If it does not have enough or the correct fuel to burn, it will start doing what it can to survive - including "burning" muscle, etc. When you fail to fill up your tank with enough fuel (when you eat too few calories), you WILL lose weight, but you won't be doing it in a healthy way. While it may look good for awhile, you will not always feel as good, and over time - given this way of "dieting" - your overall fitness and wellness will deteriorate, and may make it more difficult to recover from in the future. This may be a reason why so many people struggle to lose weight despite working so hard: Their body has acclimated to what it's been given and how it's been used for so long that it can take awhile for it to say, "Ah, we're going another way now," and get back on track. So, the idea is to be sure that you are not only eating the right foods, but giving your body enough of them to consistently (not only when you are working out) burn fat and build lean muscle efficiently.

Again, there is more to it, and this is oversimplified, but you can read more in the Stickies I think.