Polar FT4

Options
ladylu11
ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
I just bought one last night. I would like to know if you have this particular HRM what you think about it and how you use it?
For example: do you use it for workouts only? or can it be used doing household chores, etc...???

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You can use it to record whatever activity you are doing...up to you. I wear it for a variety of things...like the half mile walk to and from my car at work. Enjoy...
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    If you are going to wear it all the time remember that you burn calories even if you are not doing exercise - so don't just add these on to your allowance... Based on the below I would subtract 120 per hour from your watches calculation to get your 'extra'

(from http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_need.php)

Sleeping: 588 calories in 8 hr
    Office Work - general: 980 calories in 8 hr
    Driving - light vehicle (e.g., car, pick-up): 163 calories in 1 hr
    Food - preparing, at home: 204 calories in 1 hr
    Eating - sitting: 122 calories in 1 hr
    Taking a Shower: 82 calories in 30 min
    Cleaning - house or cabin, general: 122 calories in 30 min
    Shopping - groceries, with cart: 94 calories in 30 min
    Walking - with dog: 122 calories in 30 min
    Running - 6 mph: 408 calories in 30 min
    Dressing and Undressing: 82 calories in 30 min
    Watching - TV or movie: 163 calories in 2 hr
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7(which is basically the FT4 but with a few more features), and I mainly use it for my workouts and personal training sessions. I know some people though that wear theirs for everything they do and even wear them all day long to see how many calories they burn, but that is not recommended as it's not made for that.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I think heart rate monitors are only accurate during aerobic activity.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4. It's really important to find out what your maximum heart rate is to get accurate results. Do a google search to find out some ways to do that. The FT4 calculates a general number based upon your information, but it was way off for me.

I like the FT4 because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles some of the higher priced models have. I just wanted a basic heart rate and calories burned monitor. I paid $53 for it on Amazon.
  • yallen8832
    yallen8832 Posts: 68
    Options
    Just got mines too only tracking exercise love it so far helps me have a better workout as I'm trying to keep my heart rate in max and aerobic training zone