Can't run any more....

So I have a knee injury and can't rub or squat anymore. What else can I do for good cardiovascular training that won't be making my knee work?

Replies

• roadto1derland
    roadto1derland Posts: 7 Member
    I use to love running then my back went out boo!!! I have recently started doing water exercise to strengthen my core and hopefully get back to running...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Has the knee been repaired? Or are you just waiting for it to heal? Permanent problem or temporary?

I have some permanent issues with my back (surgically removed discs, previous herniated discs) along with arthritis in my knees, and my right knee has also had the cartilage repaired in the past when I folded it sideways. Once the surgery healed and the injuries healed I took back up walking. I'll probably never run again, or may never I just don't know. Constant impact of running would be risking both my knees and my back so I simply walk. The other option is to use a knee brace, and join a gym with a pool and attempt swimming. Knees heal just like anything else, just give it time. I also use a Bowflex M5 which is a modified elliptical/stair-stepper machine. But an elliptical would also put less strain on the knees. I'd work with your doctor he/she can recommend something suitable that wouldn't re-injure the knee.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Is this a lifetime situation?
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Get in a swimming pool. Seriously helpful during rebuilding of muscles.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Swimming is the first thing that comes to mind when dealing with a knee injury. Boxing can also be a good workout without having to bend the knee too much. I agree with asking your doctor too. Maybe they can refer you to a good PT.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    What kind of injury?
    Bone? Ligament? Meniscus?

I've had three major knee injuries (two permanent) and can cycle a hundred miles in a day but can only run about 3 miles a week.

Without more info you will only get suggestions for what other people can do with their injuries.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I've had 2 knee surgeries, and spent lots and lots of time using the arm bike.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i stopped running after my knee injury, and i just walk instead. and powerlift, but thats not really cardio. i was surprised i could squat pretty well without an acl, i've since had it replaced and can still squat great but i can't run anymore, it hurts.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Your doctor or physical therapist should be able to answer your question.