How often should I weigh myself????

Options
I have just started on my fitness journey for the 100th billion time haha. But this time it's different for me. I am excited for it. BUT, I tend to weigh myself a lot, like every two days when I start working out and get super discouraged. SO, how often should I weigh myself?

Replies

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every day, but use an app (Happy Scale) that averages out the weight over time. Weight can fluctuate wildly, especially when you first start working out. I've had my weight go up by 2 lbs overnight after having too much sodium or starting a new weight lifting program. Using the average as my "real" weight helps me really understand if I'm going up or down over time. Also, manage expectations over how fast you'll see results (hint not in two days! ;) ).
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    After years of this I say no more than once a week for wight loss, but if you are curious about how different things effect water weight loss or addition you can weigh as often as you want. For me though I only log changes once a month. It is a better snapshot and less yo-yo'ing.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Once a week works for me but, the more accurate tell is the bf% counter. Take pics as well to "see" the difference.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every day, but use an app (Happy Scale) that averages out the weight over time. Weight can fluctuate wildly, especially when you first start working out. I've had my weight go up by 2 lbs overnight after having too much sodium or starting a new weight lifting program. Using the average as my "real" weight helps me really understand if I'm going up or down over time. Also, manage expectations over how fast you'll see results (hint not in two days! ;) ).

I do this as well. I like to see the trends. I know after spaghetti night I will be up 2 pounds, every time. If I weren't weighing every morning, that 2 pounds would freak me out. Now I just add it to my HappyScale app, and drink a lot of water to flush out the sodium bloat.
  • JonnyJonny5555
    JonnyJonny5555 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh myself every morning. I realise that there may be no change for 3 or 4 days, or even a rise if I have eaten more refined carbs than I intended; but I can cope with that. My view is that every time the weight drops by one pound, it is a boost to my mental state.

Probably rather irrational, but there it is.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I do this as well. I like to see the trends. I know after spaghetti night I will be up 2 pounds, every time. If I weren't weighing every morning, that 2 pounds would freak me out. Now I just add it to my HappyScale app, and drink a lot of water to flush out the sodium bloat.

I do the same thing (minus using the app, I just make a mental note) to keep track of fluctuations due to various things like exercise, eating certain things, water intake, generally different weights having to do with season.
    I would also warn the OP to put very little thought into fluctuations if you're weighing in daily. If you do now or ever have struggled with an ED, you may even want to weigh in weekly instead until you get to a place where you're comfortable weighing in more frequently.

Overall, it's up to you. Just consider your mental health when you're deciding how often to weigh yourself. If you think weekly will be better for you mentally, I would suggest that. If you'd be fine weighing yourself daily, I definitely find a lot of benefit in knowing things that make my weight increase or make me retain more water.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every day, or pretty close to it. I track my weight every time I weigh in. I like to look at the trend and see what meals or activities seem to influence the numbers. It's a personal choice and you should do what makes you feel good. If you can handle seeing the fluctuation from day to day, try it. If not, I read another post where a member said she weighs herself on Friday every week, that way she has all week to get rid of any water weight from meals out on the weekends.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning right after the evacuation protocol. Keeps me engaged and in the game.
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, generally Saturday morning. I'm going to keep this up until I get my maintenance weight, then I might start weighing myself more often out of curiosity. As of now, I'm too emotional about my weight for me to do it more than weekly.
  • kio_mayoko420
    kio_mayoko420 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always did it once a week, right after i first used the potty :). I used to do it everyday an it effected my mood. If I lost I was happy but if I gained I was a bit testy. To be nice haha
  • crtvw743
    crtvw743 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i weigh myselft every other day or so.... this also helps with keeping me accountable for my food choices.
  • ciuciu1983
    ciuciu1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think it's better once a week ... But the best thing is to look at the mirror and take pic every month you will see the different... The scale don't count that much.. If you are training.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    however often you want
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    if you obsess over the number on the scale, once per month like me. if the number on the scale doesn't affect you emotionally (unlike me) then however often you want.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day but only record it once a week. Just remember that two cups of water weighs a pound so don't get all crazy if you are up a bit because its probably just water.
  • xbabexfettx
    xbabexfettx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is good to know, I drink a lot of water....but try to sweat it out in the gym.
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think once/twice a week! X
  • susi819
    susi819 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but I actually record once a week on the same day/time as the previous weigh-in. Most important of all is TAKE MEASUREMENTS! You'd be surprised how sometimes your weight may be the same or more, but you actually lose inches, specially when you have been doing your program for a couple of weeks. Good luck!
  • theresakruse48
    theresakruse48 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Mondays at 11:30a.m. at my local weight loss center. My coach says that once a week gives you a good overall picture of your actual weight loss. Jumping on the scale daily or even multiple times a day can really freak you out because of water weight and such. That being said, I jump on and off the scale all the time BUT I only write down my weigh ins on Mondays at the center! All of us are different so out journeys are different too. When it all comes down to it you have to pick what works best for you!
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but I also use trendweight which shows me trends. If it bothers you to weigh every other day, then I would wieght once a week, same time and day each week.