How do you make your sweet potato?

Options
soccerkon26
soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
I was looking for a mashed recipe online but can't find anything without butter. Can I just boil and then mash them?

Replies

• shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You can nuke them. 10 - 15 mins depending on size.
  • alannacaveney
    alannacaveney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You totally can! All I do is boil or steam, and then mash (adding a little almond milk for liquid if I feel the mix is a bit stodgy) and that's it :smile:
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Spritzed with oil and lightly salted, baked with a potatoe nail.
    Or poked with a fork and microwaved if I'm rushed.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Mash with a little Greek yogurt and a little sugar free maple syrup (or regular) and some cinnamon! So good!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is to put them on the grill. The peel comes off easily, don't need butter or any kind of sweetner.
  • Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    I peel and slice into medallions, toss with olive oil and bake at 450 turning to brown both sides. Sprinkle with a touch of salt. Then I top with a dollop of guacamole.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like to bake mine in the oven. You can always just mash them after. I find the flavor is best when baked.
  • windee52
    windee52 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    baked or microwaved and topped with almond butter!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I wash them and bake them in the oven w the skin on then mash... I prefer a bit of salt but my husband likes then mashed w cinnamon and or nutmeg
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I like mine chopped into french fries and baked with salt.. a healthier version of fries :)
  • craigford00
    craigford00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like boiling or steaming then mash them. Add a bit of the left over water to get the consitency u like. Then add some apple sauce or better yet blend up an apple and mix that together and top with cinamon. My kids love it too.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    275 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Slow roasting caramelizes the potatoes, making them deliciously sweet without adding anything else. You can wrap them in foil first or just bake them in a foil lined pan so they won't drip in your oven. The low temperature is the key.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I put a piece of foil to catch drippings on the oven rack below the rack the potatoe is on.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I grab one and bring it to work with me. I just poke a few holes in it, wrap it in a wet towel and 6 -7 minutes is usually enough. Then I throw on a lil PB and cinnamon and indulge!!! mmmm!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    crock pot
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I mash mine with half carrots (cut smaller than sp as they cook slower), half sp. No butter required.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Baked inf oil, or cut into thin rounds, drizzled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and baked for 20 minutes, then turn and bake another twenty minutes at 400 degrees - sweet potato chips!
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Last night I made shepherds pie and I used half potato and half sweet potato for the mash. Added a little stock, salt and garlic.