Are multivitamins really required?

Options
ljread1
ljread1 Posts: 19 Member
Just a thought.
Been using MFP and spinning at least 3x week for 6 weeks now, lost some weight, eating much healthier, lots of fresh fruit, veg, chicken etc, pretty happy. (Waiting for my body to change shape in some way but that's a different thread!!)
However looking at the nutrition of what I'm eating on MFP I'm deficient in Vitamin A, D, potassium, sodium, calcium amongst others. Would you recommend a multivitamin?
I switched to fat free skim milk to cut down on the calories, would returning to semi-skim milk help the calcium situation? (I can't bear yoghurt in any shape or form BTW!)
Thanks all! :-)

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Seems more like an issue with not eating enough.
  • KombatGurl
    KombatGurl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamin D deficiency so I take Vitamin D suppliments. If you don't have a deficiency, you don't have to take multi vitamin pills. I would consider where you're getting you're nutrients from and if that's enough. BTW, Silk Milk DHA Omega-3 Plant Powered Protein has more calcium than regular milk. And it's a good source of vitamin D. You need Vitamin D to process calcium btw. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The MFP database may not be accurate.
    Veggies such as kale have absorbable calcium.
    I just looked at my spring mix salad, and calcium is not on the label, therefore users cannot input calcium into the database.
    I take a daily multi, since I do not eat perfectly every day.
    Same as potassium. Even chicken has potassium, but many listings do not include it.
    Personally, I think magnesium is much more important.

• mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A healthy person eating a variety of foods...probably not. Unless you have a deficiency then there is no need at all. Some vitamins can actually be stored in the body for a couple years! How's that for a backup supply?

Sometimes though your need for vitamins increases such as aging, being pregnant or breast feeding or recovering from an illness. Be aware of these times and consult your health professional for advice on whether you would need a supplement and the dosage right for you.

Supplements aren't candies to be taken on a whim...they are powerful chemicals that have major uses in the body and taking to much of one can affect the absorption of another or taking too much of one can cause major problems. Only a Registered Dietitian or your Health Professional should advise you on taking supplements.

A personal trainer, life coach or neighbourhood psychic can't recommend supplementation as it is out of their scope of practice
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    A healthy person eating a variety of foods...probably not. Unless you have a deficiency then there is no need at all. Some vitamins can actually be stored in the body for a couple years! How's that for a backup supply?
    Which vitamins are stored in the body for years?
    Sometimes though your need for vitamins increases such as aging, being pregnant or breast feeding or recovering from an illness. Be aware of these times and consult your health professional for advice on whether you would need a supplement and the dosage right for you.
    Aren't we always aging?
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Eh... I look at it more like a backup. When I notice that my meals aren't quite as nutritious or if I notice my hair + nails looking a bit lackluster, I'll add them back into my routine for a few months. But "required" isn't quite the word I would use.
  • mochachichi
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hey Devastator...several vitamins can be stored in the body for quite some time. Folate (a B vitamin) can be stored for up to 4 months. Your body makes its own vitamin D from sun exposure and the amount of sun your get in the summer can store enough vitamin D to last through the winter. People kind of interfere with this process a bit by wearing sunscreen but all things being equal and you get 15-20 minutes of sun a day in the summer you are good to go.

The real big winner in the "storage wars" is vitamin A. This vitamin can be stored in the liver and fat tissue for over a year. This is one of the reasons you don't want to take mega-doses of vitamins because it's possible your body already has plenty and too much of one vitamin can interfere with the absorption of another (Too much A & D interferes with K)
    Aren't we always aging?

Hey Devastator...several vitamins can be stored in the body for quite some time. Folate (a B vitamin) can be stored for up to 4 months. Your body makes its own vitamin D from sun exposure and the amount of sun your get in the summer can store enough vitamin D to last through the winter. People kind of interfere with this process a bit by wearing sunscreen but all things being equal and you get 15-20 minutes of sun a day in the summer you are good to go.

The real big winner in the "storage wars" is vitamin A. This vitamin can be stored in the liver and fat tissue for over a year. This is one of the reasons you don't want to take mega-doses of vitamins because it's possible your body already has plenty and too much of one vitamin can interfere with the absorption of another (Too much A & D interferes with K)

My wife would tell you that I still act like a 12 year old so I guess we would have to discuss what you mean by aging :smile: Of course we are so I really don't think you are wondering if we as individuals age. My point was (and I thought it was clear but maybe not) as we get older our bodies change and we don't absorb vitamins like we used to. That being the case, by the time we hit 50 then the recommended intake increases.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I take one just in case because, why not. I admit I don't feel much any different when I forget to buy more though.
  • ljread1
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    How much are you eating? Seems more like an issue with not eating enough.

It was 1600 cals a day, based on targeted weight loss (1.5 stone.)
    I looked at how sedentary I am (teacher) and though I trot round the classroom a fair bit I don't really move as much as I thought, so changed target to 1350 (I think!?) as my job is 'seated' and I always eat at least that much in calories, including breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.
    If I go over, I get spinning!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options

I've read conflicting information on water soluble vitamins like folate some say it's not stored in the body and others say it lasts a few months mostly having to do with pregnancy and the prevention of birth defects.
    I've read a few books on vitamin D and the authors say that 30 to 70% of people (in the U.S.) are deficient. They recommend going outside for 5-30 minutes depending on their climate, time of year and their type of skin.
    I would prefer not having Vitamin A in multivitamins and just get it from food sources since synthetic vitamin A doesn't show the same positive effects.
    Where do you get your knowledge of vitamins?
    Aren't we always aging?
    My wife would tell you that I still act like a 12 year old so I guess we would have to discuss what you mean by aging :smile: Of course we are so I really don't think you are wondering if we as individuals age. My point was (and I thought it was clear but maybe not) as we get older our bodies change and we don't absorb vitamins like we used to. That being the case, by the time we hit 50 then the recommended intake increases.

Some people never grow up! :p I agree that older people have higher requirements for certain vitamins and minerals.
  • mochachichi
    edited June 2016
    Options

I've read conflicting information on water soluble vitamins like folate some say it's not stored in the body and others say it lasts a few months mostly having to do with pregnancy and the prevention of birth defects.
    I've read a few books on vitamin D and the authors say that 30 to 70% of people (in the U.S.) are deficient. They recommend going outside for 5-30 minutes depending on their climate, time of year and their type of skin.
    I would prefer not having Vitamin A in multivitamins and just get it from food sources since synthetic vitamin A doesn't show the same positive effects.
    Where do you get your knowledge of vitamins?
    Aren't we always aging?

Some people never grow up! :p I agree that older people have higher requirements for certain vitamins and minerals.

That's the thing with science Devastator...there is rarely agreement on just about anything. The good thing though is it opens things up for healthy debate. I get my knowledge from the NASM nutrition course (which I've taken) and from Precision Nutrition (which I haven't taken yet but those guys are awesome)

By the way I have no idea why that picture comes up with my posts...it's not my profile picture
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    "However looking at the nutrition of what I'm eating on MFP I'm deficient in Vitamin A, D, potassium, sodium, calcium amongst others. Would you recommend a multivitamin?"

Yes, take a multivitamin but monitor your vitamin A so it doesn't go too much over the 100% recommended amount.

In the past when I tried to lose weight I always got sick. For the past 9 months, since taking a multivitamin, I have not been sick. That's an all time record for me! I have discovered that all supplements are not equal and they are not regulated. That poses a problem with whether they are really effective. I started with a cheaper store brand and felt great. Then I bought a more expensive name brand and started feeling a little ill. I switched back and felt great again. I'll keep with the cheaper store brand.

As for calcium, 2% milk actually has less calcium than skim due to its fat content.
    As for sodium, I wouldn't try to increase it unless I was on a LCHF diet.
    A good source of potassium comes in a low sodium V8 drink but if you're taking a multivitamin you want to monitor your vitamin A because both the vitamin and the V8 have a lot of vitamin A.
  • ljread1
    Options
    Thank you all, interesting points raised!

I've been taking 'Perfectil' especially for women's hair, nails & skin (it seems to have helped my hair stop snapping) so I might need to find an additional calcium one.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    "However looking at the nutrition of what I'm eating on MFP I'm deficient in Vitamin A, D, potassium, sodium, calcium amongst others. Would you recommend a multivitamin?"

Yes, take a multivitamin but monitor your vitamin A so it doesn't go too much over the 100% recommended amount.

In the past when I tried to lose weight I always got sick. For the past 9 months, since taking a multivitamin, I have not been sick. That's an all time record for me! I have discovered that all supplements are not equal and they are not regulated. That poses a problem with whether they are really effective. I started with a cheaper store brand and felt great. Then I bought a more expensive name brand and started feeling a little ill. I switched back and felt great again. I'll keep with the cheaper store brand.

As for calcium, 2% milk actually has less calcium than skim due to its fat content.
    As for sodium, I wouldn't try to increase it unless I was on a LCHF diet.
    A good source of potassium comes in a low sodium V8 drink but if you're taking a multivitamin you want to monitor your vitamin A because both the vitamin and the V8 have a lot of vitamin A.

Vitamin A from plant foods (like V8) is a vitamin A precursor (or building block, if you will). If you consume more than your body needs, it is still water-soluable and you will just eliminate it. The vitamin A toxicity you have to worry about is from supplements -- this does have to be monitored.

But if you take an A supplement and you eat foods in high in A, your body will just eliminate what you don't need. It's just important not to take *supplements* that put you over your RDA.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @ljeread1 Look at the ingredients in that Perfectil.
    The first ingredient is Calcium Carbonate.
    YET... Calcium is not listed as a mineral.
    Looks like a mistake. Careful with internet products. You never know if a company started yesterday. Or how accurate their labels are. https://www.vitabiotics.com/perfectil/plus-hair
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    But if you take an A supplement and you eat foods in high in A, your body will just eliminate what you don't need. It's just important not to take *supplements* that put you over your RDA.

I hope this is true. My supplements do not put me over and I do not wish to have kidney problems in the future. There are some days, however, that I am over on my vitamin A.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I started taking a daily multi a few months after I started calorie restriction. Noticed pretty quickly that my energy levels improved a lot. So I am thinking it is probably a good idea.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »

I hope this is true. My supplements do not put me over and I do not wish to have kidney problems in the future. There are some days, however, that I am over on my vitamin A.

It is true: check out this Wikipedia article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

High intake of carotenoids (the building blocks in fruit and vegetables our body uses to make A) cannot cause hyperevitaminosis A (the fancy term for a Vitamin A overdose). It has to be pre-formed A. For a personal anecdote, I'm frequently at 1,000% of my RDA for A (I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables) and I am fine. My doctor confirmed that this is harmless, as our bodies just get rid of the extra carotenoids. But be aware that if your high level of A is from eating animal organs, that isn't water soluable and you *can* be at risk for consuming too much.

So if you're over the RDA, check out where it is coming from. If it is fruits and vegetables, you're fine!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Depends if you eat a nutritionally balanced diet or if the bulk of your calories come from the bottle of whiskey you shotgun in the bathtub while sending hate mail to George Lucas. On these days I take a multivitamin.

Ha ha ha. Very funny. Needed that laugh. Thanks!.