New and Scared

Options
hey,
I'm Sarah a 25 year old nurse from Sydney, Australia! I've downloaded the app because I'm in desperate need to lose some weight.

I'm so scared of the journey as my weight loss has always yoyo'ed and I can't ever remember being less than 80kg/176lbs. I weighed in yesterday at 98kg/216lbs. I just need to get healthy. For my family, for my boyfriend, for my patients, and for myself.

I'm excited to meet some great people and hopefully get some wonderful understanding support.

Love from Sydney,
Sarah

Replies

• ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Oie oie oie!!! Huge (literally and figuratively
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Dont worry,I have lost 26 lbs in 90 days.Im very short and sedentary.Read the most helpful posts, get a scale and start! I was a nurse too and found being numbers oriented really helped. I bet you do fine! Many , many people are here to help.I was about your weight when I started too.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Welcome. To lose weight is a very simple process it's just a matter of eating less calories than your body uses on a daily basis. This is a great app it's helped me dramatically. This community is also a great support system and you'll get a lot of different ideas on how you should approach the process.

Now unfortunately here comes the tough part. You have to find your own personal why. that why has to be totally selfish it can't be for the family it can't be for your boyfriend it can't be for your patients. By finding your why and doing it for yourself, your other secondary reasons will fall into place. What you have to realize and this is the tough part is that you're worth it and you deserve it.
  • cazpiri
    cazpiri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah, congratulations on your decision to be healthy. I'm also a nurse in family medicine, and know how hard it is to eat healthy in a place that everyone is always ordering food. Bringing in your lunch everyday is very helpful. Also bringing in heathy snacks helps from eating the wrong things. Just remember to make small goals, for example I want to lose 2lbs this week. As opposed to I need to lose 40lbs total. Mentally it will help you achieve your goals faster. Good luck!
  • MrPositivity
    MrPositivity Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating high quality foods that will keep you full and allow you to have a caloric deficit. Don't pay attention to the scale too much as weight can fluctuate greatly day to day. Your clothes will start fitting better and you will eventually have to go shopping! You will also notice many health improvements!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The most important advice (well after weigh all your food I guess) is don't panic after you weight yourself! Weight loss is not linear, your weight WILL get up and down REGARDLESS of what you're doing and especially since you're a lady.
    I've found out that this simple thing discourages so many people who just give up after the first week. They do everything right as far as they are concerned and then the scale won't budge in a week, or will even go up! So they just say "screw this" and give up. Don't fall for this trap!
    If you weigh all your food, log all your food and stay in a deficit you have nothing to worry about. Even if the scale moves up and down you WILL lose the weight.

I for example have been losing most of my weight once or twice a month - after my period and after ovulation. The rest of the time my weight either stays the same or goes up. But my monthly loss exactly equals the sum of my deficit from all days (1lbs = 3500cal). So it is all there but just doesn't come off when you want it.

Well everyone is different. Some people lose exactly the same amount every week.

Don't give up :)

Read the sickies in this forum they are very useful. Read the success stories too. Good luck!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Sarah also from Sydney. Feel free to add me. I've been on here for four months now and lost a lot in that time. Doing challenges like walking 10000 steps a day has helped me, as well as logging all my food