Pasta.... calories, I am confused

Options
I always like to weigh my food as I dish up on the plate rather than from dried because I cook enough for me and my husband. This brings me to pasta - when I am searching the database I never know which one is calculated as dry and which as cooked. When I search cooked pasta it generally brings up values of fresh pasta or homemade fresh pasta not dried pasta that has been cooked.
How do I ensure that I am calculating enough calories for what I put on my plate.

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Try putting the brand name, as well as checking against the packaging.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What does the packet give the values as? You should always aim to use the values for the specific food you're using, rather than a generic one in the database.

If the values on the packet are only given raw, one accurate way you could calculate the calories when cooked is to weigh out 100g of pasta, for example, then see how much it weighs once cooked. Once you've worked out the relationship between the two (my pasta suggests that 100g raw pasta makes 220g cooked) you can use that to work out the nutritional value of what you're eating.

For example:

Raw weight: 100g

Cooked weight: 220g

Cooked weight / cooked weight = 2.2

Now you have the 'constant' that determines the relationship between cooked and uncooked pasta. If you have 150g of cooked pasta, divide that by 2.2 to give you the raw weight, then enter that into MFP.

You might find it easier to add the cooked pasta as your own food into MFP - from the example above you would just enter the values from the packet divided by 2.2, then you can enter the cooked weight without having to do the maths every time.

Hope that wasn't overly complicated!!

TL;DR - divide the cooked weight of the pasta by 2.2 and enter this value as the raw weight.

P.S.

As a personal preference, and I guess this won't be possible for you, I always weigh my pasta out raw, since the cooked weight will vary how long I cook it for, but not the calorific value.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You can't accurately weigh a food cooked. It has absorbed water and will be different depending on how long you cook it and how much water is absorbed. Example. 85 grams of pasta may be 1 cup if you cook it aldente, but may be 2 cups of you cook it to mush.

Weigh our your portion, and cook it in a separate pot. It's just one more dish, and possible hundreds of calories saved.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    OP is in the UK, and whilst I don't know which brand she's using every pack I've used shows the data for cooked.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    All food in the database should reflect the food dry.

All dry items (pasta, rice, grains, etc.) need to be weighed dry as they absorb various amounts of water.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I also cook for more than just myself. It's sometimes hard to accurately calculate the calories so I checked out a 2011 post on the same subject. Mplanek said this on a mfp forum post:

"I did a test to figure out how much dry pasta becomes cooked pasta... I took 2 ounces (56 grams), I weighed it, and cooked just that. After cooking it weighed 5 ounces. I tried it with a bunch of different pastas and the results were pretty much the same. I don't know about measuring it in cups, the scale is easier for me."

This accurately describes how my pasta weighs after cooking.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    I also cook for more than just myself. It's sometimes hard to accurately calculate the calories so I checked out a 2011 post on the same subject. Mplanek said this on a mfp forum post:

"I did a test to figure out how much dry pasta becomes cooked pasta... I took 2 ounces (56 grams), I weighed it, and cooked just that. After cooking it weighed 5 ounces. I tried it with a bunch of different pastas and the results were pretty much the same. I don't know about measuring it in cups, the scale is easier for me."

I find mine to be a little less - generally closer to double, which is about 20% different from what you use and could be significant calories if someone estimates incorrectly. It really depends A LOT on how you cook it, what brand/shape, etc. However, if someone cooks the same brand of pasta the same way with some frequency and finds that the conversion is pretty consistent, I don't see the harm in making that assumption for future pasta dishes they cook at home using that same kind/method.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You will find entries in the database for both cooked and dry pasta.
    For example, you can search for "penne pasta cooked".
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    CaptainJoy wrote: »

I find mine to be a little less - generally closer to double, which is about 20% different from what you use and could be significant calories if someone estimates incorrectly. It really depends A LOT on how you cook it, what brand/shape, etc. However, if someone cooks the same brand of pasta the same way with some frequency and finds that the conversion is pretty consistent, I don't see the harm in making that assumption for future pasta dishes they cook at home using that same kind/method.

Agreed. I always use the same brand (Ronzoni whole wheat) and the medium minute 'setting' for firm pasta and it's pretty much always 130g cooked for one serving. I still weigh it dry 90% of the time, but when I made extra for the kids and I have some leftover, I just use that number.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I think the norm is to weigh pasta dry.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    If you don't want to cook in two pots at once, you can also weigh the dry amount of pasta, then weigh the entire portion after it's cooked, and then weigh your cooked portion to find how much of the total you ate (I frequently do this with pasta and rice).

Example: You weigh out 200g of dry pasta and cook it. When you're done cooking it, it now weighs 360g. You measure out 90g of cooked pasta for yourself. Therefore, your portion was 1/4 of the total you made. 1/4 of 200 is 50g, so you can log 50g of dry pasta.

This is the best and easiest way. I make pasta for 3 all the time. Any other way is just making things more difficult.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything raw and then weigh the final cooked product. Then I plug the info into the recipe builder and I start with 4 servings to calculate what each serving's calorie count will be. If I find the calorie count too high, I increase the number of servings. Then I divide up the cooked food accordingly.

For example, if it weighs 1200g and I've decided that 4 servings is appropriate, then each serving will be:
    1,200g/4 servings = 300g per serving
  • newport3158
    newport3158 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian...we eat a lot of pasta. The normal 2oz portion that's about 200 calories is about the size of your fist. Yea...not enough...I tend to eat 4oz lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian...we eat a lot of pasta. The normal 2oz portion that's about 200 calories is about the size of your fist. Yea...not enough...I tend to eat 4oz lol

3oz is a good compromise for me, lol.