Restaurant Frustration!

Options
Huskeryogi
Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
I find it really frustrating when restraurants don't have menu nutrition information available. Especially national chains - it's not like they are rotating their menu weekly. There are places I like to eat (Texas Roadhouse) where I KNOW it's going to be lot of calories. I'm making a choice to eat there anyway - I just want to know how much damage I'm doing!

Replies

• Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Have you written to the company?
  • rfoshee
    rfoshee Posts: 6
    Options
    Since they are knowingly withholding the information, I suggest no longer eating there.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The Texas Roadhouse website says that because they make their food from scratch, every day - providing exact numbers is impossible. I call that El-Toro poo-poo. You can provide exact numbers, and then make a disclaimer that allows for a +/-10% variation due to the hand-made nature of their food.

However, the good folk at MFP have this information - I use the iPhone app - and I LOVE it. Let's me look up the nutritional menu; and make informed choices.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/texas-roadhouse
  • Clairezibel
    Options
    I know, it's so annoying! Just have to try and find equivalent food on here, but it would be nice to know how much damage you're doing *exactly*.
  • caitmarshhh
    caitmarshhh Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It helps if you look up their nutrition information beforehand. If you know where you're going to be eating, search the MFP food database (or online if it is not already on MFP) and plan out a few low calorie meal options so that you're prepared. Also, if you have the app on your phone you can look up meals while their menu is right in front of you :)
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The way I feel is if they don't provide the nutritional values then stay away! You need to know what calories you are taking in so you can accurately decide how you eat throughout the rest of the day and how much exercise you need to do to even out. The problem with restaurants is they may cook things in butter and put tons of salt on them, etc... so unless you can find out online what their nutritional values are I would suggest staying away. Losing the weight is so worth it compared to eating at a restaurant.
  • Huskeryogi
    Options

That's a good idea. I'll do that.
  • horton1987
    Options
    I believe they have to have the nutritional available - you just need to ask your server to provide it for you.
  • Huskeryogi
    Options
    The Texas Roadhouse website says that because they make their food from scratch, every day - providing exact numbers is impossible. I call that El-Toro poo-poo. You can provide exact numbers, and then make a disclaimer that allows for a +/-10% variation due to the hand-made nature of their food.

However, the good folk at MFP have this information - I use the iPhone app - and I LOVE it. Let's me look up the nutritional menu; and make informed choices.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/texas-roadhouse

Thank you! I ran a search and somehow didn't find this.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the rest of the world.... I consider that I'm smart enough to pick a good or bad choice from the menu without being spoon fed all the details (pardon the pun!)
    Do you really want to pay extra to have a staff member to have to calculate all the nutritional details for every meal?? Or only to eat somewhere that cooks identical meals in every single location, with no consideration for what is good and fresh and in season.
    Not for me, thanks very much. If I wanted that I'd eat at McDonalds!
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    If the restaurant doesn't post or provide their nutritional info where does MFP get it?
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, it's definitely a pain. I would agree on writing to them as well. Fast food places have provided nutritional info, why can't they? It could be a simple insert on their dinner table or an addendum to the back of their menu. I actually ate out at a local chain last night and had no idea what the nutritional info was so I got a salad with an oil based dressing, and only ate half of my portion of pasta. I considered it my cheat day even though my total was probably under what I needed for the day. Totally feel you on the frustration!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TEXAS ROADHOUSE! I usually get the 6oz sirloin dry, or the BBQ grilled chicken breast, with steamed veggies dry, and a sweet potato dry with a side of cinnamon and a side of raw horseradish (for my steak).

When I go to places like that I use all the key words "dry, no mayo, dressing on the side, no butter" etc - then I guesstimate the portions and add them to the tracker. Its not fool proof by any means, but unfortunately even when restaurants place nutrition info out there it isn't always accurate anyway.

Best of luck!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant doesn't post or provide their nutritional info where does MFP get it?

From other users that add it in themselves by guessing. Sometimes places like calorieking.com or diet.com may have more accurate info than guessing because they have sent a meal off to a lab for caloric info. But usually it's from someone guessing. Even NI on MFP that is from a label is wrong on MFP because a user typed it wrong or the company updated info and the MFP entry is old.

One of the reasons MFP is free is because the food info is inputted by users, not MFP.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    When that's the case with restaurants, I just try to order something as simple as I can, like grilled chicken and steamed broccoli. Not as fun I know but when they don't provide it, it;s better not to take a chance. Otherwise, I jsut say screw it! I'm out to eat!
  • dga1972
    dga1972 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is an app out called 'Restaurants' if you have an iphone or ipod you can download it and it has alot of restaurants nutrional info available! I use it and it helps me to make better choices when eating out. Hope this helps you out!
  • dtaillieu
    dtaillieu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies to your frustration so I hope mine isn't a repeat.:smile:
    There is a great book out called "Eat This Not That". Every imaginable restaurant and fast food chain is in this book and lists the nutritional values so that you can make a better decision on what to eat when you go out.
    We took a 2 week road trip and it was fun to thumb through the book and make a "Better" choice at say, Wendy's for an example.
    Get the book, it's invaluable! You might also like the book "Make This Not That"
    I hope you enjoyed your dinner!!
    Debbie

8977921.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TEXAS ROADHOUSE! I usually get the 6oz sirloin dry, or the BBQ grilled chicken breast, with steamed veggies dry, and a sweet potato dry with a side of cinnamon and a side of raw horseradish (for my steak).

When I go to places like that I use all the key words "dry, no mayo, dressing on the side, no butter" etc - then I guesstimate the portions and add them to the tracker. Its not fool proof by any means, but unfortunately even when restaurants place nutrition info out there it isn't always accurate anyway.

Best of luck!

I worked at Texas Roadhouse (myrtle beach, sc). EVERTYTHING that goes on the grill gets brushed with butter!! Make sure when you order you tell your server NO BUTTER!
  • Huskeryogi
    Options

Best of luck!

Totally with you! My biggest problem is that what REALLY sounds good is country fried chicken - my guess is it's the worst thing on the menu. If I can eat half of it, a baked potato, and one roll with cinnamon butter for 1000-1200 calories I can make it fit and it would still be a "Maintenance Day" - not under calories, but not over either.

I love steak too though so I should probably just go with that. It would be safer.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options

I tried that with TGI Fridays and got some bull**** about how they strive to use only fresh ingredients ( before flash freezing them prior to being deep-fried) and that specific dietry needs can be catered for by contacting the chef at each restaurant.

basically this tells me they couldn't care less about letting ME know what i am PAYING for to eat at THEIR restaurant.

Very very shabby.