MFP suggesting 1200 calories!?

Options
Can anyone help me fix this, I'm lightly active trying to lose 2lbs per week at 198 5'5''. Why does it say 1200? My dietician suggested 1400-1600 until I'm 160 then go down to 1400.

Replies

• WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Did you put sedentary? Go double check.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It should be 1300ish if youre trying to lose 2 pounds a week. At 1400-1600, you would probably lose about 1-1.5 pounds
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You can change your calorie goal manually in settings though. Go down to 1500 maybe for now and then go lower as you gradually lose weight. Keep doing body exercises simultaneously though, for toning.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    1lbs = 3500cals. To lose 2lbs a week you need to make a total deficit of 7000cal/week or 1000cals a day.
    MFP will not put you under 1200 because 1200 is the minimum.
    Your TDEE (google a TDEE calculator to check yours) has to be 2200 at least for you to lose 2lbs/week at 1200. If it is lower you will lose less.
  • kirayng2
    kirayng2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ty for the replies, I'll manually set it to 1400 and see how it goes. 2lbs a week seems like the maximum to lose safely and I'd rather lose gradually and permanently! Thanks again.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'd set it to 1lb a week and see what it gives you, that will probably be closer to the dietitian's recommendations. 1lb a week is plenty fast enough, there's no rush.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    kirayng2 wrote: »
    Ty for the replies, I'll manually set it to 1400 and see how it goes. 2lbs a week seems like the maximum to lose safely and I'd rather lose gradually and permanently! Thanks again.

I think you've made a great decision. Nice to see people opting for slow and steady! Best of luck to you!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Also remember that the dietitian is recommending an overall intake, whereas myfitnesspal expects you to log exercise, and will credit you extra calories, so that if you take regular exercise your intake will increase to match.