Debating on Fitbit purchase...

Options
Hi all, Iv spent weeks searching the net and I think I'm settled on a Fitbit Charge HR. Can anybody give advice on these if they have one? Or anybody got anything similar? I want a fitness tracker that will track my steps as accurately as possible (currently using my iPhone in pocket method!) but I also want one that does heart rate, that way I will get a more accurate calorie burn. I do a lot of walking both alone and with family & also do a trampoline fitness class (boogie bounce) both of which I just estimate my burns based on what MFP gives for my weight & the workout duration. I'm not that fussed about it being able to access my phone or calls/texts like some top of the range watches do - if people want me they can wait! Any advise on this model will be great, or other watches of same specs but much cheaper a bonus! Thanks

Replies

• Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex which I have been using since November last year. It doesn't do as much as the more expensive models but it does everything I want it to! It counts steps which I find to be very accurate. It also tells me active minutes, sleep, distance covered, cals burned and how many hours in the day I was active. It certainly works for me and its small and comfy!

However I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the fitbits, they've all got good reports.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR, as does my partner. I love it. And despite all the people who say the hr isn't accurate, I have not found that to be the case at all. As long as it's worn correctly, I find it accurate to less than 5 beats per minute.

Battery life isn't great, but I find if I charge it during my shower daily, I never have to worry about it dying on me as it never drops below medium.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have the ChargeHR. I love it. I want the Blaze because it looks more like a watch but my Charge works so well I can't justify it.

I know people complain about its accuracy- but even if mine isn't accurate, it's consistent. I don't care if it's wrong as long as it's wrong the same way every time. That said- I wore it with a chest strap HRM a few times and they were very similar, so I think it's pretty good!

When I'm good about my eating I loose exactly like it says I should. I love it!

• P0tterMrs
    P0tterMrs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Thank you all for the info! I was going to purchase the flex at first but I want the heart rate part too. When do you put them on charge? Also, I can't wear watches for work, if I was to keep it in my pocket during work hours would it still work, minus the HR side? X
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    P0tterMrs wrote: »
    Brilliant! Thank you all for the info! I was going to purchase the flex at first but I want the heart rate part too. When do you put them on charge? Also, I can't wear watches for work, if I was to keep it in my pocket during work hours would it still work, minus the HR side? X

I charge mine while I'm in the shower since they aren't water proof. Usually never get below half a battery because of this.

As for pockets. It will actually count steps better in your pocket due to the fact that it can count steps from hand movements if you "hand talk" a lot or work with your hands. I actually put mine in my pocket whenever I'm pushing a cart (shopping) as my hands are on the cart so I'm not getting steps if I'm wearing it.
  • therese100SF
    therese100SF Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a BLACK FitBit Charge HR but broke the band...I learned the band is not replaceable like other HR wrist products. I climb stairflights & got upto 50 daily (too high to keep count) and this model of FItBit tracks STAIR FLIGHTS climbed AND sleep data. I considered another FItBit product or other HR wrist productd out on the market which also tracked heart rate. I didn't REALLY want to learn another gadget and really loved usuage of info captured & stored. Although I researched alternatives, I chose to get another FitBit Charge HR--this time in NAVY BLUE! I have noticed outside in sunlight I can read this one with a blue print on black screen, whereas I could NOT read the white print on black screen of the BLACK model out in sunlight.

Good luck with YOUR selection & purchase!
  • Suspended_User
    Suspended_User Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd look at a different brand. FitBit may have been a first, but many companies out there are making similar devices. From what I have seen, the FitBit software is some of the least user friendly. Keep in mind that any tracking device is only useful with the paired software (on your phone or PC) that lets you track and see your data. Of all the software I have seen, I am least impressed with FitBit's.
  • letlovegrow89
    letlovegrow89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both have the Charge HR we love them! I almost feel naked without it anymore. He insisted that he didn't want one but I got him one for an early father's day gift and he's hooked now! It's a fun little tool! We're even going to get my girls each a flex so we can have competitions seeing who gets the most steps lol.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I started out with the Fitbit Flex and had it for a little over a year. I liked it just fine. I upgraded last week to the Charge HR. So far am very happy with the new one and really glad I decided to buy it.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting a FitBit that isn't a Charge. The bands aren't replaceable, but come apart easily. I went through four of them (always replaced for free by the company) before switching to the FitBit Alta. The Alta doesn't track flights of stairs or heart rate, but it's perfect for what I need.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've used the surge for about 6 months now; it's a good way motivation-wise to make improvements by examining the statistics of one's activity. However, you might want to research into other brand model HR monitors to customize to yourself (garmin, polar, etc.). Like others have said, Fitbit appears most popular due to excellent marketing, not necessarily performance.

The main cons from using the surge would be the uncertainty in HR accuracy, sleep mode inconsistencies (sometimes fails to track & reporting is problematic for myself because I am nocturnal), lack of water resistance, & altitude/flight of stairs inaccuracies (mine don't seem to register easily). From monitoring the steps feature, the surge doesn't register small movements for me (walking around apartment) & is supposedly less accurate when running high speeds on treadmills. Hope this helps
  • P0tterMrs
    P0tterMrs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! X
    I'd look at a different brand. FitBit may have been a first, but many companies out there are making similar devices. From what I have seen, the FitBit software is some of the least user friendly. Keep in mind that any tracking device is only useful with the paired software (on your phone or PC) that lets you track and see your data. Of all the software I have seen, I am least impressed with FitBit's.

Reading a few straps have broken has now got me concerned! Especially as I don't consider the device to be cheap! I want the device to be able to pair with my iPhone, many seem to be android only. I aren't that fussed about wearing it to monitor my sleep but I definitely want a HR on it instead of wearing a chest strap. I will keep researching, as it's not something I'm just going to buy on a whim, it's got to be something that does everything I want and makes the cost worth while. Is there anything you could recommend that match up to the HR? Thanks x

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I bought the Fitbit Charge last year around this time. I loved it. The band actually seperated from the tracker and Fitbit replaced it without question (Fitbit customer service is terrific). I decided to upgrade to the Charge HR and my hubby is using the Charge. I like having the HR option and have found when I compare it to the HR monitor on the treadmill or elliptical it is within 2-5 bpm, that's close enough for me. They will tell you that for regular wear it should be about 1 finger width above your wristbone and for exercise you should move it up to about 2-3 fingers above the wrist bone. I sweat a lot, as do many people, and find that it slips. I am going to pick up a terry wrist sweat band to put on to keep the Fitbit in place above it. I think that will help without being too restrictive.
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My husband and i both just got the Samsung Gear 2 and we both are loving them. They track your heart rate, estimate your calories based off of your entered height and weight along with your activity level that it tracks. I love it because it holds music and tracks my runs via gps, pace, and distance. I just take my watch and my wireless headphones and I am good to go run! It tracks a ton of different workouts, and seems really accurate. I can also get text messages, calls, emails, and notifications on the watch.

The S Health platform is awesome as well.

I would decide what is most important to you in a activity tracker and then decide which type of product will work best for you.
  • CLAkeeno
    CLAkeeno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    the wife and i recently got the fitbit blaze and we have loved it so far. great workout watch that comes with a built in HR monitor (though don't know how accurate as of yet). Very user friendly and battery has been great. You can also read texts, receive or decline incoming calls and control the music to your iphone
  • supersimonesquirrel
    supersimonesquirrel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitbit charge hr 3 weeks ago. It has far exceeded my expectations - it is great. Accurate heart rate, tracking steps. Buying one has made me realize that I am much more active than I thought, therefore I needed to actually eat more to lose weight. And its working! It comes into its own for step counting and cardio workouts.
  • izabera47
    izabera47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All depends on what type of exercise you are going to track with the charge hr as the heart monitor is poor when doing intensive work outs .
    The charge is great tracking steps even whilst sat down reading the numbers keep going up-). Have to say I'm disappointed with my purchase . I bought it specifically to track my hr during my training days so I do not have to wear a chest strap .
    Back to my Polar !
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I've had several Fitbit devices as well as a slew of other Garmin, Polar and Motorola. The last round with Fitbit wasn't so positive. I was an early adopter of the Surge and long story short I was one of the people that it did not work for. HR was completely inaccurate and that was the one feature I really wanted. The biggest thing was the daily calorie burns were way off for me, sometimes up to 4000 calories in a day. Now, as mentioned above, if it was inaccurate in repeatable ways I could have made it work, but again, for me it didn't work.

Anyway, my wife and I both had the Force and it worked perfectly for the tracking it did and the calorie tracking was dang near spot on. Wish i would have kept it during the recall, but I selfishly took the guaranteed upgrade to the Surge.

I will say, in all the work I did with Fitbit and their customer service, they were good about trying to address my issues and finally doing a return when things did not work out.

Anyway, any questions drop me a PM.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Justifier wrote: »
    I recommend getting a FitBit that isn't a Charge. The bands aren't replaceable, but come apart easily. I went through four of them (always replaced for free by the company) before switching to the FitBit Alta. The Alta doesn't track flights of stairs or heart rate, but it's perfect for what I need.

Yep +2 .. me and my husband both! I ditched Fitbit and went to Garmin, he got the Alta.. Pretty good so far.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    DO IT